22%  [ 31 ]
Goodrich Active Pedal
5%
 5%  [ 8 ]
None or Other
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 138

Author Topic:  Volume Pedal - Active or Passive?
Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 9:00 am    

I'd like to hear from any Telonics, Hilton, or Goodrich Hi Pro or Lo Pro pedal users. I use a pot pedal on my Emmons right now.

Do you have a favorite? Has anyone posted a test video on the different pedals, sort of a "shootout"?

Thanks for any input.

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 9:22 am    

I use a Hilton. Along with no tone change there is no pot or mechanism to change.

I have an old Goodrich 120 pot pedal. My wife is using it and it had an original Allen Bradley pot in it that finally developed a bad spot. I replaced it with a Dunlop pot from Tom Bradshaw. The Dunlop pot works, but the "taper" is not the same and personally I hate it. Thus its an electronic VP for me.

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 9:44 am    

You might try one of these

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/precision-electronics-corporation/KA5041S28/KA5041S28-ND/523422

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 10:00 am     Volume pedal active or passive

Carl, have you tried one of these? The shaft looks like it might be too short

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 10:33 am    

I have some, haven't installed yet , but I'm pretty sure they will work if I reverse the pulley on my Emmons pedal. (EDIT) I'll let you know - I have a dead AB that I can replace.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 10:55 am    

The AB pot was a "modified" Logarithmic Audio taper. Most pots available are just a standard Logarithmic Audio taper pot. Longevity (lack) of the currently available pots is what brought about Tom Bradshaw choosing the Dunlop pot and to the new Goodrich Company's pots.

Lack of longevity is what happened to the Clarostat branded pots.

I've seen posts of different replacement volume pedal parts over the years. None equal the AB pots, either in the modified taper or longevity. There are NOS AB pots around that are logarithmic but not the modified logarithmic that was used in Volume Pedals.

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 12:48 pm    

I wonder how a linear taper would be.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 1:16 pm    

Carl Mesrobian wrote:
I wonder how a linear taper would be.
Sounds like it is almost fully on at 1/3 open, and not much increase above that.

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 1:21 pm    

Thanks!

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 2:50 pm    

Until 3-4 years ago, I was still playing and old Sho~Bud pedal I’ve had since the 70’s with the Allen Bradley pot in it... the AB pot is still in good shape, but my ankle doesn’t like the height of the pedal anymore... I bought a couple of LP Goodrich 120’s and have tried a variety of the Pots mentioned here, and to me the new Dunlops are the best alternative available today, but still I don’t feel they stand up to those original AB’s that we loved so much, but no longer can get.... When it comes to pots, I don’t believe those AB’s have an equal.

Because of that, I ended up with a Telonic’s Multi Taper pedal and love it... Not HAVING to worry about a pot that starts scratching, plus the ability to change the taper to the old AB, (Which I use) or the Hilton, or Goodrich, is a very nice thing to have... Yes you need a power source, of which I’m not a fan, but hey... you can’t have everything Wink Rolling Eyes Wink
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Murray McDowall

Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 4:16 pm    

Plus 1 for the TELONICS Pedal.
After using an EMMONS Pedal since '77 and replacing numerous pots, and finding them these days is a problem, I purchased a TELONICS Pedal.
Could not be happier!! No pots to worry about! Power cord yes, but not really a problem when one has a TELONICS TCA 500c.
Telonics TCA-500C & FP-100D pedal.
Steelers Choice Sidekick & Backrest.
Steelers Choice Seat.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 12:21 am    

I got a Telonics to see if it was better than the Hilton, which it is, but the margin does not reflect the extra cost unless you're going to use all the extra features.

I keep it at home for practising/recording and I take the Hilton to the pub. This works because I can match the two pedals using the variable taper on the Telonics, so that feature at least I do use. They both use the same 24V DC power.

As the guy said who used to service my car "If it moves, it wears". A pot pedal will annoy you eventually and there is never a good moment for it to happen.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 2:40 am    

Ian Rae wrote:
As the guy said who used to service my car "If it moves, it wears".
… and if it doesn't move it most likely will collect dirt and develop drop-out spots. So, much can go wrong with pot-pedals, but I prefer them anyway.

As I always use a pre-VP buffer, active or passive VPs makes no difference in PU-load and tone. Also means I can use "low impedance VPs" – >10K<50Kohm suits my setup fine, and alter the taper to my liking without replacing pots. A little "pot grease" on the track reduces wear, and "burn-spots" are avoided by preventing DC discharge through the pot.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 9:54 am    

I've only played for about 7 years, and have always used a Hilton. I'm happy with it. I fooled around with an old Sho-Bud once, and that was enough to convince me I did not want a pot pedal - too complicated getting the pot in place and set up right! If I were to use a pot pedal, I'd opt for either the ones Doug Earnest at Stage One is building, or the Moyo. Probably the Stage One - very reasonable price, and no strings attached!

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 1:40 pm    

I have had pretty good luck using the Telonics, Goodrich pot petals with various pots and the Hilton pedal. My go to pedal is the Goodrich passive 120 with any of the conductive plastic pots producing the classic steel guitar tone. I've got over 8 years of use on my Dunlop pot and got 12 years of use on my previous AB pot. The AB pot did not fail catastrophically and just got noisy. Over that span of time, any type of pedal likely would have failed. Always have a spare pedal handy like the tiny Moyo unit! While I have noticed and measured the taper difference between the old Allen Bradley and the new Dunlop HotPots, either one works fine for me.

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Telonics%20Pedal/Telonics%20Pedal.html

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Hilton/Hilton.html

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Goodrich%20LDR2/Goodrich%20LDR2.html

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Goodrich%20120%20Pot/Goodrich%20120%20Pot.html

I think the new dual mode Goodrich Pot/Active pedal is worth a try as it seems to offer the best of both worlds. Perhaps someday someone will also design a pot pedal where the pot is a quick swap, user replaceable, plug in cartridge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 6:37 pm    

Ive been using the Telonics volume pedals since they first hit the market, bought them at the Dallas steel show the first year that Dave had a booth there.

Prior to that I was a lifelong user of Goodrich pedals, both pot, and LDR2 versions -- quite frankly the Telonics pedal was, and still is light years ahead in every aspect IMO
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 7:23 pm    

I recently migrated from my trusty, wonderful Hilton pedal to a pot pedal.

Why? I actually prefer the warm sound of a loaded pickup straight into a pot. And that EQ change that happens throughout the taper of a pot pedal? I prefer that too; it's not a bug, it's a feature. This is one of the details of the sound that drew me to steel in the first place and I couldn't figure out how to mimic it with an active pedal. So... if it ain't broke... pot pedal it is.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 9:24 am     Volume pedal active or passive

Tucker, I'm with you. I bought a Hilton pedal and just never could get used to the sterile sound. Fast forward about 2 years, and I was having trouble getting the tone I wanted with a different amp. So, I ordered a 2nd Hilton. Same thing again. Sold it. I sort of feel there is something wrong with my ears, then I remind myself that Paul Franklin and Jay Dee Maness also use pot pedals, so maybe I am OK. It's always the same golden rule. Use what sounds best to you, isn't it.

I tried the Telonics at the Dallas show and liked the
feel and the taper. Soundwise, seemed to be pretty much like the Hilton. I didn't have a Hilton with me to compare. When I have some extra cash, I will try a Telonics as long as I have return privilege's. I love to experiment, otherwise how do I learn.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 2:40 pm    

Tucker Jackson wrote:
it's not a bug, it's a feature

Engineering improvements can sterilise the instrument. The bassoon springs to mind (but then I have that sort of mind). The finger holes are traditionally drilled through the wood at funny angles - an acoustician's nightmare - and many years ago someone decided to apply a modern flute mechanism to sort it out. The result was something loud and in tune, but with none of the character of the original, which has been giving pleasure for hundreds of years.

If the varying impedance that your pickup sees is actually contributing to the expression in your playing, stick with your pot and let the geeks sneer! (Still like Telonics, though... Smile)

Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 3:28 pm    

I really don't want to give up my olld Sho Bud pedal. Does anyone know if the latest Goodrich pots (rebranded Dunlop?) have a different taper from the Dunlop hot potz as sold by Tom Bradshaw? From the marketing it sounds like they have modelled it on the old AB "J type" taper. It's a big investment to find out since they are apparently sold in fives:.
https://goodrichsoundcompany.com/product/goodrich-bare-pots/

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 4:58 pm    

Telonics. Sounds great with The Telonics amp, as well as with my twin.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 5:19 pm    

Only potential drawback with pot-pedals (and no buffer) is that if one changes/replaces what directly follows it – cable and input impedance of first active stage, then the load on the PU and thereby its "tonal character" changes. So, once it sounds about right; keep it that way.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 6:23 pm    

I have tried various active pedals, but so far have never really warmed up to anything but old-school pot pedals. My favorites are my old Sho Bud pedals - I have three - two are pretty much pristine with original AB pots in good shape. I've had each of them for at least 10-15 years, and have never had to change the pots - but if I do, I picked up a couple of NOS ABs from John Widgren several years back. The third one needs to be refurbished. I also have a Franklin pedal to go with my Franklin along with some replacement pots that I got from Paul Sr., and a couple of Goodrich and Emmons pedals, as well as a few others. All of this cost me, over a period of years of looking around, about what a high-end volume pedal costs these days.

So I don't really need to think about anything else - if the darkening of the sound as I back off the pedal gets too much, then my Sarno Freeloader takes care of that completely. Some high-impedance pickups like the Freeloader, and the variable input impedance can be real useful. But more often than not, I just run straight from the guitar to the volume pedal.

Part of my issue is that I absolutely do not want to mess around with wiring power to my steel guitar volume pedal. It's one thing when it's on a powered pedal board, and I have one on my main guitar board. But diddling around with loose DC power wires under my feet is not something I'm gonna do.

I really like the idea of Jim P.'s Goodrich LoPro/HiPro active/passive capability and the option of battery power with long (he says 1000+ hours) battery life, as well as an option to externally power. That is discussed here - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=332166. I also like the idea of Telonics' multi-taper approach. I haven't tried either of these yet, but I'm sure these are good pedals. I may splurge for one of these at some point. But right now, it ain't broken so I'm not very motivated to fix it.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 7:54 am    

Nothing lasts forever, be it a powered pedal or a pot pedal. My decision to stay with a pot pedal is based on decades of experience with things electronic. Sure, a powered pedal is great, but what happens when it quits? What is wrong with it? Can I fix it? Can anyone fix it? How long will it take? With a pot pedal, I know. With the fancy alternatives, I really don't.

I have my reasons, and you have your reasons. Use whatever you like; that's what I do. Cool

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2018 12:54 am    

The poll is missing "BOTH"

I have and use both, typically it's the Goodrich 120 POT Pedal as it is a no brainer to plug in and setup. I've used the same pedal now for 18 years and just changed the pot a few months ago for the first time.

I do also have a Goodrich LDR which is on my home studio rig plus I use it for any sessions I may do as it is totally silent with no hope whatsoever of the pot going bad and making noise .

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website