The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Combo amps popularity. Why?
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 6:03 am    

For me, a combo amp is OK for steel players, but there is a much better choice, IMHO.

Combo advantages:

1. You only have to carry one thing.
2. You only have to plug in one cord, your guitar.
3. This is the way you have always done it.

Dis-advantages:

1. More weight to carry.
2. To reach the controls while playing, the amp
has to be very close to you.
3. You can't place the speaker anywhere you want
to unless you move the amp where you can't reach
the controls.
4. Not easy to experiment with different speakers.

Split cabinet advantages:

1. Splits the weight up.
2. Puts the controls right at your fingertips.
3. You can place the speaker anywhere you please.
4. You can sit the head on top of the speaker
cabinet and in effect, have a combo amp.
5. If it has to be shipped for repairs, you only
have to ship the head.
6. Very easy to experiment with different speakers.

Disadvantages:

1. You have to carry two pieces
2. You have to plug in one cord to connect
the two pieces together.

Rack unit advantages:

1. You can have all sorts of outboard gear.
2. You can easily add or take away any of the gear.
3. Everything is in a protective case.
4. Same advantages as a split cabinet.

Disadvantages:

1. Takes more time to set up.
2. Trouble shooting can take some time with so
many pieces of gear and cords.
3. Same disadvantages as a split system.

I have had all 3 systems, mostly combo amps, so I am speaking from experience. Is the reason for the popularity of a combo amp is not having to plug in one cord to connect the amp head and speaker cabinet? With plugging in your amp, two cords for the volume pedal, maybe even your volume pedal if is an active pedal, cords for any outboard pedals you are using, why would it matter just to quickly plug in one cord more? Do we use combo amps because it is a throwback to our guitar playing days? Is it simply because that is the way we have always done it? Or, are most popular steel guitar amps not available in a head only version?

To end this novel, finally, I am suggesting that you think about it. Combo amps make perfect sense for guitar players, but a split cabinet or rack is better for steel players IMHO. FWIW, I am currently using a Katana split cabinet paired with an Eminence PF-350 speaker.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 6:20 am     Different strokes for different folks

Personally, I don't care what everyone else uses - use what you want, and like what you like. Smile

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 6:43 am    

For me: Combo amp = one less trip to the parking lot. Plus, I like vintage amps which are usually combos. I don't need a twin for lap steel.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 7:00 am    

On the other hand:

Dis-advantages:

1. More weight to carry.

There are light weight class D combos out there.

I only do it once during sound check. Set it and leave it.

the controls.

See above. Also, I use in ears. I always get to hear what I need no matter the amp position.

4. Not easy to experiment with different speaker

I can replace a speaker in 5 minutes. Can't get much easier.

Everyone has different requirements and preferences. I gig with a compact combo 95% of the time. Suits me fine.

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 7:25 am    

My preference for my combo amp is twofold. Our band typically plays venues that have two or three bands for the evening. Getting on and off stage quickly is a must. The combo best suits that goal. Secondly, I love the tone I get with my Telonics combo. If I need to tweek the tone from one venue to the next, I only have to adjust the blend knob and I’m good to go.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 7:50 am    

We hashed through this last month here - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=331050

I still say there are too many parameters and available choices these days to make hard generalizations. But one thing I didn't say there is that the overal tone and dispersion pattern from a traditional open-back, tall-wide (height-width) but thin (front-to-back) combo amp is different from most head/cab and separate-component setups I see, which tend to be closed-back and/or often fatter (front-to-back) cabs. As I said, almost anything is available these days, but as a general rule-of-thumb, that is not so far off.

I've tried all types of setups and usually go back to combo amps. I usually double on guitar and steel, my setup is already too complex, and I have generally preferred the tonal and dispersion characteristics of traditional open-back combos. For lack of better words, I find them more "open", "straightforward", and "forgiving" in a host of situations. And if I need to bring separate amps for guitar and steel, anything more complex is out of the question. Small club stage space is sometimes the defining parameter. I usually have more stuff than the drummer, and a single stack of steel combo amp on bottom and smaller guitar amp on top is often all there's room for.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 8:09 am     Re: Combo amps popularity. Why?

George Kimery wrote:
For me, a combo amp is OK for steel players, but there is a much better choice, IMHO.

Combo advantages:

1. You only have to carry one thing.
2. You only have to plug in one cord, your guitar.
3. This is the way you have always done it.

Dis-advantages:

1. More weight to carry.
the controls.
4. Not easy to experiment with different speakers.

Hi George.

Advantage #3 is not an advantage - it's a reason for some people. I've done both. As for the disadvantages you listed:

#1 Actually, split cabinets and racks are heavier. My 300 watt combo amp is about 30 lbs. Light weight is an advantage of modern combo amps. Less wood to haul.

#2 I always place my amp within arm's reach, usually behind me to the right, on a little footstool. I don't fiddle with amp controls very often - mostly just to turn up the reverb on certain songs.

#3 I'm used to hearing my speaker from that spot (see #2 above) regardless of band or venue. I don't want my speaker any further away from me than that. I'd have to turn up, and people would complain about my volume.

#4 I do my experiments at home. It's not hard to change speakers in a combo amp in my garage. I wouldn't experiment with different speakers on a gig.

My priorities are good tone, light weight and fast setup, in that order. But in the end I agree with Donny. Everyone should use what they like best.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 8:11 am    

I never understood the sense of split head/cabinets in a 1x12 or 2x12 configuration. I have gone from combos-only to a powered speaker + floor-based fx-unit preamp models. For the money, I couldn’t be happier with tone, convenience, maneuverability, and portability.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 8:26 am     Re: Different strokes for different folks

Donny Hinson wrote:
Personally, I don't care what everyone else uses - use what you want, and like what you like. Smile

Donny, you are 100% correct. This thread can be closed as far as I am concerned.

Comments:

I was assuming that the cabinet would be a separate purchase so you would get, make, or have made exactly what you wanted.

When I was talking about trying different speakers easily, I was talking about cabinets that were already loaded with different speakers.

When I get any amp set during a sound check, I a!most always have to tweak a little once the band is added to the mix.

I do not want anybody to feel I am putting them down in any way. I just wanted to give some food for thought. If the right combo amp comes along, I will playing it without hesitation.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 10:27 am    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
We hashed through this last month here - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=331050

Yikes! My comments even say pretty much the same thing in both threads. Short term memory getting shorter...

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 11:00 am    

Another potential disadvantage of a combo amp--at least a tube type combo--is that sometimes if you have a tube that's either microphonic (preamp tubes, and especially octals from my experience) or a little rattly inside (usually power tubes), the vibration from the speaker can cause all kinds of unwanted racket. Those silicone tube dampers can usually take care of the issue, but not always. That said, my favorite amp is still my dripedge Vibrolux Reverb combo amp....

Dave

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 3:17 pm     Re: Different strokes for different folks

George Kimery wrote:
Donny Hinson wrote:

Donny, you are 100% correct. This thread can be closed as far as I am concerned.

What? Shucks, man, I hate when someone says that. As my old man used to say..."You don't learn anything from people that agree with you". Laughing

Anyhow, one other issue we should be mentioning (along the same lines) is why amp manufacturers still haven't given us remotes? My TV's all have remotes, my computer has a remote (mouse and keyboard), one of my radios has a remote, and my garage door has a remote. If amp manufacturers are going all gung-ho about new this and that...Where's the digital remote for the amp???

Rant complete. We now return you to the regularly scheduled program. Mr. Green

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 3:21 pm    

Combo for me.

1. Space is often an issue, with some bandstands not having the space for a larger “footprint” needed to have a rack by my side. In a perfect world, I can see how this would be helpful.

2. Load in/out is often brutal. Traffic, parking, small crowded clubs. I need to limit the number of pieces.

3. Quick setup and quick exit. I’m always looking for a way to trim my gear load, and a separate additional component wouldn’t help. I also like to get my stuff packed ASAP, regardless. A lot of things can happen to your gear after the show, most of it bad.

I won’t be surprised if in the near future, amps will be so small and lightweight, I can hang it from my seat. That might give some more options. Till then, throw and go with my Telonics. Self contained effects, and it powers my volume pedal. One plug for my whole rig. I’m in and out like the breeze.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 4:08 pm     Re: Different strokes for different folks

Donny Hinson wrote:
Anyhow, one other issue we should be mentioning (along the same lines) is why amp manufacturers still haven't given us remotes? My TV's all have remotes, my computer has a remote (mouse and keyboard), one of my radios has a remote, and my garage door has a remote. If amp manufacturers are going all gung-ho about new this and that...Where's the digital remote for the amp???

Good rant, good point, but in keeping with your father’s wisdom, I will offer the contrary notion that it is already being done. Sound guys have been controlling their digital boards with iPads for a while now. We do have amplifier apps. I have not used this, so I am not familiar with how to interface it with a PA or powered speaker. It seems to have skipped the step of remote controlling your existing amp.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bjtSnG22Qp8

Last edited by Fred Treece on 8 Jun 2018 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 4:15 pm     Re: Different strokes for different folks

Donny Hinson wrote:
George Kimery wrote:
Donny Hinson wrote:

What? Shucks, man, I hate when someone says that. As my old man used to say..."You don't learn anything from people that agree with you". Laughing

Remotes? Great idea. I believe Peavey did that with the session 2000.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 2:17 am    

Give us IR or RF remotes, and let people in the audience play with our settings Very Happy
Conclusion: at least make those remotes cabled, to avoid "outside interference".

FWIW: I have all settings that matter in a buffer/pre-amp/eq/compressor unit that I attach to the PSG leg for easy access, and use a combo (NV112) as powered speaker. No extra cables or other "nonsense" to watch over. That is "remote" enough for me for now, and works fine with PA systems too if necessary.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 6:26 am    

I prefer to have fewer items to schlep in and out.
I replaced the speakers in my Evans and Fender amps with lightweight SICA neo speakers to lighten the load. I rarely need to change amp settings during a gig; so, I don't care if the amp is out of reach. (In fact, I prefer having it 5 to 6 feet behind me.)

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 4:02 pm    

I have both and use both, I bring what I feel is the most appropriate gear to the gig based on the venue. I prefer a combo if it can meet the demands of the gig. AMPS are tools.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 5:30 pm    

I have both, and i use both. My Jimmy Webb built 15" Webb combo is my favorite combo amp. The main advantage of my split cab system, is a different speaker configuration without having multiple combo amps. A single 15" for steel at the VFW club, 2-twelves at the country beer joint, single 12" for jazz guitar at the country club, single-10" for the acoustic coffee shop. Different configurations all using the same amplifier head.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 5:35 pm    

You often can't get the specific sound of a combo amp in a split head/cabinet due to differences in cabinet configuration and speaker mounting.

There are several other very significant sonic differences that can't be "equalized" simply by changing the configuration. Ir's just nor as simple as putting the amp in one cabinet and thew speaker(s) in another.

George, you can't just ignore acoustic design and expect to get the same sound regardless of configuration.

Amplification systems simply do not work that way. Take any combo and split it into a head & cabinet and you change the sound significantly.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

George Redmon

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 6:03 pm    

Huh? Same sound as what? That's exactly my point. I don't want the same sound with 2-12" speakers and a tele, as i get with a single 15" and a Gibson Howard Roberts. "Acoustic Design" of what? Of a Fender Twin, or of a Webb, or of a Quilter Steelair? And you can never...get the "specific sound" of one particular combo amp, in any other combo amp, except the same combo amp. Even modeling amps, with speaker cab simulators are poor at it. If i wanted the sound of a Peavey Nashville 112,(which i don't) then i would purchase one. Actually has very little to do with advantages or disadvantages of one amp layout over another. My point was i can own one amp head, and by using different guitars, or steels, and different size, styles, and configurations of speaker cabs, cover various styles of music, in different types of venues. Not trying to copy, or model a sound of any particular amp. In my opinion that's definitely an advantage. Very Happy

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2018 1:47 pm    

Quote:
Huh? Same sound as what? That's exactly my point.

I was addressing the OP, who seemed to think configurations could be changed randomly
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2018 2:15 pm    

[quote="Jim Sliff"]You often can't get the specific sound of a combo amp in a split head/cabinet due to differences in cabinet configuration and speaker mounting.

If I build a cabinet for the chassis of a combo amp and build a speaker cabinet the same size as the combo amp cabinet and take the speaker out of the o!d cabinet and mount it in the new cabinet I just can't believe I would be able to hear the difference. I wouldn't do that anyway. I would just use the old combo cabinet and speaker as my extension cabinet.

If I would go to a different size cabinet or a closed back or used a different speaker, then I would expect it to sound different. I just don't buy into the idea that you can't get the same sound from a split system that you can from a combo. Even if that is true, different could be better just as well as worse.

George Redmon

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2018 3:50 pm    

George very true. That's exactly why so many amp cap mods, reverb mods, new speaker models and voicings, especially the 12" steel guitar speakers have come along. Mostly for combo amplifiers like the notorious Peavey Nashville 112. After a player goes and buys what sounded great in the store, or at home, only to find out it's not exactly what they thought it was. Then the mods start being purchased. Nope...not a bad thing, i've used mods myself. Even when a guy sells an amp here on the forum. First thing in the post is "it has the so & so mod". Like it's an upgrade from the original designers ideas. Which were in most cases a well thought out design by one or more world class steel guitarist.

Trying to change the over all sound of a combo amp is an uphill battle, but so many are still fighting the good fight. And the battle will continue. Personally, if i need more power i add a cab, more bass, i change the cab, more mids, i use a twin twelve cab. Jazz flavor, a single 12" or 15". Works fur me.... unfortunately, the Nashville 112 mods didn't. JMHO Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2018 7:53 pm    

I split my Twin Reverb some years ago using a Dual Showman Reverb head cabinet I came across. The head cabinet was very tall and quite heavy by itself. The speaker cabinet was almost the same size as the un-split Twin Reverb combo. I found that I ended up with a little more weight and the two pieces took up more room in the van. After about two weeks I put it all back in the nice compact combo. Once I set the amp controls I might fiddle with them a couple of times during a show so it's no great advantage to have the controls right next to me. The compactness of the combo and ease of loading and setting up is worth more to me.