The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What Tuning Should I Use & What Lap Steel Should I Use It On
R. Joe Campbell

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 11:21 am    

New to the forum and a rank beginner. I joined because I truly need guidance.

For background, I’m in my mid-60s. Actually this is my second time around with a steel guitar because my first musical instrument was 6-string lap steel when I was seven-years-old. My instructor based his teaching on The Natural Method Course for Steel Guitar. I took lessons for maybe three years until the instructor moved out of state. After that my interest in steel guitar waned and for the next 50+ years my musical interests were consumed with conventional acoustic guitar, mandolin, and banjo.

I recently bought a c1930s Regal square neck acoustic on a whim. When I sat down with it, I was surprised at just how much I remembered from my childhood lessons. After a little fumbling, I ripped out a painfully pathetic and wretched rendition of “Steel Guitar Rag.” But a bandmate did recognize a tune buried in among the tortured notes. He then commented how a steel guitar could add some really nice depth and color to a few of the songs we play. Quite honestly, that sparked quite a bit of enthusiasm to put dedicated effort into re-learning the instrument.

Our trio is all acoustic. Depending on the song, we usually incorporate two guitars with a mandolin or a banjo; occasionally we’ll feature all three. Important note: if we require amplification, we play through mics. Our music focus is Laurel Canyon, Country Folk, and Country Rock. My intent for a lap steel is to offer a different layer of texture to some songs but not be a lead instrument; something like what Sally Van Meter does when she accompanies Chris Hillman and Herb Pederson (and, no, I have no delusions that I could approach that level of playing).

Like I said, I consider myself a rank beginner. So, here’s where I need some guidance:

#1: The Natural Method course from my childhood was based on Open E tuning; so, for steel guitars, that’s all I know. I guess Open E is okay for some styles, but should I look to another tuning (or tunings) for more versatility and expressiveness? And if so, which one(s)?

#2: I’ve budgeted up to $5000 for an acoustic lap steel. I must stress that I want acoustic and not electric. I’d also like to stick with six-string but I guess I wouldn’t have a complete meltdown if I needed to go to an eight-string.
• If I was playing alone, I’d personally like to find a pre-war Martin Hawaiian like a Martin 00-40H or preferably a 0-17H. But, while I really enjoy the warmth, clarity and tone of these guitars, my concern is that, even mic’d, the presence may not be there in a group setting. A guitar like this might blend in too much and the texture we’re looking for might be lost. Further, I don’t know if these guitars would structurally hold up under heavier weight strings.
• I’ve considered a mahogany Weissenborn-style guitar and sampled a couple. Nice, rich tone, with a really pleasing bottom end, but I’m not convinced that’s where I want to go.
• So, I’ve been leaning towards a resonator guitar. It would have the presence and tone. While it wouldn’t be “warm” like a conventional acoustic mahogany guitar, I’m afraid that if I don’t choose correctly, whatever warmth I could have would be sacrificed. So what wood, what bridge style, what brand/model/maker do I look at to fit my wants?

But then, having said all this, what do I know? I know my way around conventional acoustic guitars, mandolins, and banjos. On these instruments, I know what I’m looking for and how/where to get the voice I need. But with Steel Guitars – well, I’m in way over my head. My perceptions may be way off base. That’s why I’m here. I really need knowledge- and experienced-based recommendations that say: “this is what you want and here’s why.”

Can any of you help?

BTW, once I have a clear idea of what I need based on recommendations, I’ll probably travel to the best location that will provide an opportunity to audition several instruments. I also don’t have any problems buying used.

Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 11:59 am    

You may want to consider going to the HSGA in Ft Collins this fall. You meet a lot of players and hear what tunings they use, there are some Weissenborn players that go. Sally Van Meter played it a few years back. Sorry I don't have any acoustic experience to share...

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 12:17 pm    

Depending on your location in the Centennial State, there is an awesome show scheduled for Denver later this month. Although electric pedal steel and its players will be the main attraction, you'll likely find something of interest. As Mark alluded to, Sally Van Meter is scheduled to play on Saturday the 23rd:

https://www.denversteelguitarshow.com/

R. Joe Campbell

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 6:53 am    

Mark Roeder wrote:
You may want to consider going to the HSGA in Ft Collins this fall. You meet a lot of players and hear what tunings they use, there are some Weissenborn players that go. Sally Van Meter played it a few years back. Sorry I don't have any acoustic experience to share...

Jack Hanson wrote:
Depending on your location in the Centennial State, there is an awesome show scheduled for Denver later this month. Although electric pedal steel and its players will be the main attraction, you'll likely find something of interest. As Mark alluded to, Sally Van Meter is scheduled to play on Saturday the 23rd:

https://www.denversteelguitarshow.com/

Thanks! I'm originally from Louisiana and have lived in Colorado for about four years. I had no idea of these Steel Guitar showcases. Colorado surprises me daily with its musical offerings. Much appreciate the heads up.

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 9:40 am    

You might also want to check out square neck tri-cones from National Resophonic, or a vintage National if you can find one. I alternate a lot between my wood body Dobro and my tri-cone because the tri-cone has a much warmer (whatever that means) sound when I need that. You've given yourself a good budget to work with, so a high end guitar is not out of the question.

Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 11:10 am    

Look up forum member Mike Neer. He played a tricone in a version of E tuning on a couple of excellent CD's. I would call him the best source of hints given where you are.