The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Do you use your pedals more ,or knee levers?
Larry Johnson

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2018 12:41 pm    

I had a revelation the other day. In my playing I use my A and B pedals more than my A and b plus knee levers. Love the split pedals. Just wondering if your playing is like that.Thanks for your 2 cents worth.

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 7:53 am     pedals

Hi Larry:
I self taught using the 2 most popular old books by Scotty Dewitt Scott and Winnie Winston.
Since then from the late 70's I have used my knee levers in conjunction with the A & B pedals.
Probably if I had counters installed on my pedals and knee levers the A & B would be way ahead of the pack.
I learned on lap steel in the last half of the 40's. Then did not play for so many years that I did not realize all the changes in instruments that happened. when I started playing again when Santo & Johnny came out with Sleepwalk. I became very frustrated not being able to play what I was hearing on the radio all the time in the 60's and 70's until I sat behind a pedal steel one day and the store owner saw me doing typical steel guitar rag rolls. So he said push down on those two pedals. And WOW there was the sound I could not get on my lap steel. So the A & B pedals ended my frustration. So in short like you I probably use the A & B pedals a lot more than the rest but I sure do need them all to play.
have a great weekend.
Dick Smile Smile Smile

Larry Johnson

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 8:40 am    

Hi Dick, I also started on lap steel back in late 60/s then bought my 1st pedal steel Sho-Bud maverick. Wow you learned when non pedal was hot. I admire all steel players,and bar movements to get that beautiful sound. The best thing that ever happened to pedal steel was splitting the AB pedal into A and B. A great weekend to you also,Larry

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 9:33 am     sounds

I am with you on "the" sounds of steel.
That is all I have heard through the years.
I too admire all steel players. Any chance I get to see a player in person, I am glued to them, I just hope they don't get nervous when I watch their every move.

The advent of you tube has been fantastic.
Keepin' on.
Dick Smile Smile Smile