The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap Steel with instant alternative tunings.
Alan Cannell

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2018 11:11 am    

Here’s a little project I’ve been messing with. I bought a inexpensive Revelation and added a tailpiece so that Pitch-Keys could be mounted. The idea was to have a C6 tuning with fast access to raise or lower any string , however any tuning can be used. It all works fine , I have only used one Pilch-Key , it’s supposed to be placed at the headstock end but it’s more accessible near the bridge , and here’s photos of the result , any comments welcome.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2018 1:17 pm    

I wasn't familiar with that device. Looks like they're about $35 each in the U.S. Could get expensive pretty quickly if you need to change more than one string. Once it is set up, does it return to the same pitch consistently? what tunings do you plan to use it for?

Alan Cannell

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2018 1:49 pm    

Yes it returns to pitch spot on by checking on a tuner reading.There is a fine tune adjustment but good quality machine heads help stability.
I wouldn’t envisage using more than three Pitch-Keys , on a C6 tuning setting the low C to raise to C# seems to be the most useful. If you were to have three Pitch -Keys raise the A to Bb and lower the top E to D , you then have a Leavitt tuning and other variations without using all three at one time.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2018 4:50 pm    

Very cool. Lap steel players are problem solvers, comes with territory

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2018 5:41 pm    

Great idea...but the majority of lap steels don't have the space available to mount the pitch key. Especially those steels with a combination bridge/tailpiece.

I saw the "Pitch Key" on ebay for $28.00 each.

Alan Cannell

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2018 10:22 pm    

The best price in UK is £19.99 . Of course , Tom , the problem is the tailpiece mod , and that’s why I couldn’t fit it to my Stringmaster type Steel at present. However , Mike , your comment is so true and I’m now at the stage of how to design a non intrusive device to fit to any Steel....come on you Steel builders help me out here!

Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 7:31 am    

I considered using banjo "D" tuners on the headstock end to change tunings but they are expensive.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 9:30 am    

Hipshot made the Trilogy bridge but they apparently don't anymore. At least you can't find it on their website. I have a late 1940's National Triplex that used a cam to actuate a set of cam followers that would stretch some of the strings to provide 3 different tunings. The Rowe Stringtone chord changer was a similar aftermarket device. I don't know about the Hipshot but the other two devices have a reputation for not staying in tune.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 10:08 am    

I inquired this past April (to Hipshot) if they still made the Trilogy...they do...special order.

A 8 string Trilogy would take 8 weeks to make at a cost of $418.00. I would assume the 6 string would be less.

Too bad they are not generally available. The Trilogy is great if all you want is a fast way to change keys...no hand levers or other such "nonsense" to get in the way.

Last edited by Tom Campbell on 7 Jun 2018 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 10:48 am    

Joe Breeden

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 4:36 pm    

If they were made, betcha Erv has one. Good on you Erv Joe