The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Milkman "The Amp"
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 1:32 pm    

Looking forward to hearing one...

Last edited by Cartwright Thompson on 9 Oct 2018 12:30 am; edited 2 times in total

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 1:52 pm    

we have had some customers complain about DOA units, only to find that they work properly when the power cord is pushed in all the way. Also, there is a delayed startup which is confusing some users - it takes about 10-15 seconds to fire up even after pushing the power button.

Last edited by Tim Marcus on 9 Oct 2018 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 2:06 pm    

I’m sure your customer service is outstanding.

Last edited by Cartwright Thompson on 9 Oct 2018 12:32 am; edited 2 times in total

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 2:20 pm    

fair enough

Last edited by Tim Marcus on 9 Oct 2018 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Morgan Hannaford

Redding CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 4:33 pm    

Got my "The Amp" on Friday.... it took me a moment to realize it was on - I noticed the power-up delay. The Reverb and Trem leds confirmed power. Played a P90 loaded guitar and an S10 steel through a QSC K10.2 speaker. Wow! I am really happy with the clarity and warm tone - I was using a Carr Rambler amp before (awesome tone! but modest volume), and more recently a Katana 100 (awesome volume! but OK/boxy tone). I wanted to try this little guy out to save precious stage space and keep down on stage volume when backing up acoustic singer-songwriters - Or get the volume when playing with plugged-in bands = portable versatility!
So far very good.

David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 9:33 pm    

Morgan, last week I used the "pedal out" output from my "The Amp", and then went into the main input of my Katana 100 head...
Using the Milkman as a "pre-amp" only, into the Katana really warmed up the tone of the Katana.

Might give it a try.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2018 8:43 am    

Dave, who did you order yours from?

Very Happy

Morgan Hannaford

Redding CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2018 9:18 am    

Thanks David.... yes, good idea! I did give that a try and it did warm/round out the tone of the Katana 100; preamp tube goodness Smile . I also made myself a little cheater speaker cable, with spade connectors, so I can run direct to the speaker on the Katana or any other backline combo amp I run into. My favorite setup so far is to DI into my QSC K10.2 speaker, then send a through-line to the board.... can get any volume I (don't Smile need and the sound guy can stop telling me to turn it up (really!). I got my The Amp shipped from Distinctive Guitar in Milwaukee.

David Wren

Post  Posted 25 Oct 2018 10:03 am    

Hi Dave Z.

I ordered my Milkman from Reverb.com, and they used a supply house in Oklahoma... so my poor little amp got a tour of the greater US, before coming back to northern CA

Smile

Tim has a list of dealers who handle his amps on his web site. Don't tell your wife you got this info from me Smile

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2018 2:00 pm    

Morgan Hannaford wrote:
Thanks David.... yes, good idea! I did give that a try and it did warm/round out the tone of the Katana 100; preamp tube goodness Smile . I also made myself a little cheater speaker cable, with spade connectors, so I can run direct to the speaker on the Katana or any other backline combo amp I run into. My favorite setup so far is to DI into my QSC K10.2 speaker, then send a through-line to the board.... can get any volume I (don't Smile need and the sound guy can stop telling me to turn it up (really!). I got my The Amp shipped from Distinctive Guitar in Milwaukee.

Sniper of Tone! I love it.

I have a little cheater cable that goes from speakon to female 1/4" that I keep in my seat now too. Some amps you can not access the speaker though... the spade connectors is a slick move Very Happy

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2018 11:56 am    

How does the Amp hold up volume-wise?

Can it get Twin loud? Loud enough to carry a club unmic’d?

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2018 5:01 pm    

This looks like the perfect amp for a grab & go and/or pedal board, or for those venues (church) where no amps are on stage. I like the two included effects, but wish the tremolo was a delay.

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2018 1:23 pm    

Charley Paul wrote:
How does the Amp hold up volume-wise?

Can it get Twin loud? Loud enough to carry a club unmic’d?

i'm really curious about this as well.

Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2018 2:44 pm    

Tim told me that The Amp is not Twin-loud, you’d need to go up to his 300 watt Half and Half to get there...

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2018 2:31 am    

this is what i assumed so i'm saving my pennies.

David Wren

Post  Posted 13 Nov 2018 10:29 am    

A friend just emailed me this picture of my last large stage setup.... look ma, no speaker cab Smile

Love this versatile little amp!

Thanks Tim!

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 10:06 am    

Did a gig last night and the guitar player (James DePrado of Chuck Profit's band) showed up with "The Amp." It was amazing with his telecaster. He let me plug into it during sound check! Can't wait to get mine!

Hurry up Tim!!! Whoa!

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 10:44 am    

Which speaker cabinet (small & light for bedroom use) would you recommend to go with "The Amp" ? Thanks !

David Wren

Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 6:31 pm    

John, I took an empty PV 112 cab, made a new baffle for it, and it now holds a Black Widow 1501 (4 ohms)… and that is a real nice sound... but maybe too big (and heavy) for your needs.

Early next week I'm going to use my Milkman with a smaller cab, loaded with a 12" older EV speaker (4ohms)… I'll report back and let you know how it sounds... I'm guessing it will be great with a single 12.

Last edited by David Wren on 16 Nov 2018 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 6:44 pm    

David Wren wrote:

Early next week I'm going to use my Milkman with a smaller cab, loaded with a 12" older EV speaker (4ohms)… I'll report back and let you know how it sounds... I'm guessing it will be great with a single 12.

Thanks ! 👍😉

TRAP TRULY

Mobile , AL
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2018 12:49 pm    

Are you able to run a direct line to the board as well as a line to a speaker? Those that have run it direct in a live situation, how does it sound?

David Wren

Post  Posted 17 Nov 2018 11:34 pm    

Yes, I have done that... direct into a PA system, and also running a cabinet behind me.

In addition I had a wedge from the house PA, and the amp sounded great in that as well.

In fact it sounded good enough that the next performance at that venue I left the cabinet at home.

David Wren

Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 3:44 pm    

John, yesterday I played my Milkman head connected to a small cabinet, just big enough to hold a legacy 12" Electro Voice speaker. It sounded just great. You might want to check the forum for posts of light weight Neo 12" speakers like the Eminence Double-T 12 (although I think that is a 8 ohm... and I prefer 4 ohm with this head).

Hope this helps.

dave

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 4:37 pm    

👍😉

Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 10:21 pm    

I got my The Amp last Monday, and am very impressed! I’ve paired it with a Milkman Neo speaker in an old RCA Victor aluminum 12” cabinet from an old film projector. Whole thing weighs under 20 lbs, and is significantly louder than my 35 watt tube amp - definitely loud enough for all my gigs without a drummer.

I often have to travel with steel, seat, luggage and amp with no car on a ferry - this will make it not only possible, but will have great tone on stage too!

Kudos to Tim.