The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Where is Lane Gray?
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2018 3:40 am    

I've missed seeing Lane post. Does anyone know what he's up to? He can be a busy person; I'm hoping he's just taking a sabbatical.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2018 12:51 pm    

he posted to his facebook page on May 20th

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2018 1:37 pm    

Thanks, Bill, that's more recent than here.

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 4:06 am    

His last post here was March 9. He is very knowledgeable when it comes to the mechanics of these machines.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 5:02 am    

He sure is; it's a notable absence.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 6:26 am    

If I remember correctly, he had some people bad mouthing and challenging things he said, and decided to quit participating here. Hopefully he will see this and correct me if I'm wrong.

I really miss him too. He is very knowledgable and losing him is a terrible thing.

I think putting this in steel players might get his attention more than here.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 9:01 am    

Perhaps that's a good idea.

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 10:39 am    

Why do people do and say such things about decent folk here on the Forum. If someone disagrees with a point of view, then they should disagree with a different point of view, not a personal attack.
Lane is one of the good guys and has a musical pedigree beyond reproach. I grew up listening to his dad, Tom, at the Birchmere in Virginia and owe most of my music to the Seldom Scene (and Gram Parsons).
I wish Lane the best... Duncan

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 11:04 am    

Duncan,

these things are usually a two way street. I don't know Lane much since I don't play pedals but we did have a discussion about dobro simulators. His opinion, there were some good ones, mine; they all suck and would never fool a dobro player. I remember him getting a bit defensive and giving me his history playing dobro. I still disagreed with him. Some people, and again I don't know anything about Lane other than my one run in so I don't know if it applies to him: but some people don't like to be challenged.

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 11:38 am    

Hi Bill,
That’s what I was talking about. You had the discussion that should happen between all of us. You had a different opinion and expressed it in a reasonable way. How anyone takes it from that point is their issue. I can’t comment on the merits of your disagreement as I do not (as yet) play non pedal steel.
I don’t know Lane personally, either. I suppose that I was reacting to an allegation that yet another contributor to the SGF was driven off by mean spirited comments. The fact that it has happened in the past and still happens makes me sad.
Have a beautiful day.
Duncan

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 11:53 am    

He was right about some things and not right about other things. Because someone posts on a topic, does not mean they are always correct about an issue.

I'm sure he is way more popular than I am and my post here may not sit well with some of you, but I stand by my statement.

A person can always help someone via the Private Message system here if they have something to contribute and they want to avoid conflict or don't want to deal with someone else' agenda publicly.

Likewise, some people get upset when challenged but it's all part of participating here.

I don't really know Lane or his reasons for not posting, but everyone is free to come and go as they please and he's still welcome...far as I know.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 2:05 pm    

Lane and I had our share of different opinions, but our mutual respect for each other made it so neither of us would get irate. If everyone would just give others the respect they deserve, we should be able to have differing opinions without getting pushed out of shape. We've lost several forumites because of this very thing.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 2:31 pm    

I sent an email to Lane, through the Forum.

He said all is well. A browser update is causing some problems.

Don Kuhn

Poetry/Terrell ,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 6:04 pm    

I recall seeing several of his post's on here where he would either invite someone to his house that was having a problem or would go to their house, always trying to help folks out that told me right there what type of man he was and as far as disagreements sometimes you have to agree to disagree that's why there is Chocolate, Strawberry and Vanilla ice cream not everyone likes chocolate. Never met him but always enjoyed his 2 cents.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 6:51 pm    

That's good to hear, Lee.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2018 1:25 am    

I too always enjoy Lanes comments. Sometimes a few on the forum take liberty's with regard to reply's that are outside of the conversation and are pointed at a person. Whether or not it is intentional or not is not the point. Many times they come across as "I'm smarter than you and my opinion is more valid than yours". We should each recognize this as we write reply's or join a conversation. If we can't we should refrain from joining any conversation. I also now stay away from a few discussions with a few forum members as my comments or experiences apparently are not valid as the reply's come across as you are wrong and let me tell you why you are wrong. Glad to hear Lane is doing well.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2018 5:05 am     Where's Land Grey?

All of those product reviews he did were priceless and were real contributions to the steel guitar world. He helped me out a lot on other issues. He was so helpful to me on many questions I had. Too bad he doesn't see the thousands of people that love him instead of a few boneheads that don't. I believe Lane derived great joy in being a part of the forum and helping people out. That joy has been taken away from him and from all of us. If the people that caused him to leave know they are the reason, they should man up and publicly apologize and promise never to respond to any future posts that Lane makes.I appreciated the time he was with us. (Bob, please don't move this to the Gone Home section LOL)

Same thing happened to Carl Dixon, another great loss to the forum.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2018 5:18 am    

"That joy has been taken away from him and from all of us."

That joy taken away is the fault of only one person. Lane. He is a big boy. And no one is in need of apologizing for having a different opinion. That is what this forum is all about.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2018 6:43 am    

I pissed off some, and some pissed me off, so what, I don’t pay much attention to that, nor it’s really important, I don’t even remember most of my “fights “ on here, I never even thought about leaving the forum because someone hurt my feelings, or the other way around, I don’t hold the grudge too long, I may be pissed or mad for a day or two, but then I forget all about it ... few times I contacted someone who was still pissed at me for something that happened awhile back, and I can’t even remember what was that happened to piss him off lol ...

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2018 7:01 am     Where's Lane Gray?

Bill, good point. That was going through my mind as I was writing the post. I knew somebody would call me on it. No worries.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2018 7:49 am    

I like Chocolate... Smile

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2018 7:56 am    

I like Vanilla. that's it, I'm out of here. Smile

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2018 8:22 am    

Everyone has a right to their opinions......that's obvious.

But, frankly, in terms of value, a guy like Lane who constantly goes out of his way to help people, to the point of making the effort of posting videos and lengthy explanations........well, I think he deserves more slack and has more value here than most.

YMMV.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2018 8:38 am    

Maybe b0b can have a sticky at the top of all sections: "Sensitive People who Provide Value", much like his "don't do business with these people."

That way we will have a list of the folks that we should never challenge or argue with in case they take their ball and go home.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2018 8:58 am    

Be nice! Lane’s a good guy. He has offered to meet steelers along his truck route to deliver and pick up items. No need to step on anyone’s sensitivities, just be nice.