The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thank you to George "Keoki" Lake, and many others
Levi Gemmell

New Zealand
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2018 4:39 pm    

Like most of us interested in Hawaiian music here, I've seen Keoki Lake's countless valuable posts, sharing his knowledge with the members of the forum, insights and anecdotes from the past - amongst those of many other great forum contributors.

I recently received a tremendous collection of tapes, records, tablature, magazines, letters and other items from the widow of a collector of Hawaiian music here in New Zealand. For the first time, I was able to listen to Keoki's record "Music for Your Luau," and have now in my possession dozens of Keoki's backing tracks on tape, hundreds of tablature sheets, and ten volumes of Dick McIntire on tape which were sent by Hal Smith, including the coveted Harmony Isle transcriptions. One tape of Hawaii Calls shows from '46-'48 with Keli'i on the steel has proved to be a total revelation. There are many other tapes too besides, and personal correspondence that I find very touching to read - some words from Jerry Byrd himself in there, especially.

Keoki has a beautiful touch, a true mastery of the F#9th tuning, unfailing taste, and I could go on but I don't know if I can do justice to his playing. I want to say thank you to Keoki for everything that he has done to promote this music many of us love.

What I want to do is say that I cannot express my gratitude enough for the work of collectors and enthusiasts around the world to preserve the body of Hawaiian music from its "golden age" - and I am acutely aware that the people on this forum ARE those people. Keoki just happens to be present in my mind right now, as so much of this material was sent by post to the bottom of the world, to his friend and a man that I wish I had the opportunity to know, Bruce Murray. Having the ability to hear all this beautiful and rare music is, I feel, a huge and significant milestone for me.

It sort of goes without saying, but the Steel Guitar Forum is a very special place - it is not really like any other forum or message board of it's kind on the internet, and sometimes I wonder if I would have this passion at all if I was not so exposed to others who share it. Everyone's insights are valued and appreciated, accepted without reservations, and that openness beats the next music forum by miles. I am young and may not have the opportunity to meet many of the members here, but I think I'm beginning to realise what it's all about. So thank you, everyone! Smile
Sho~Bud LDG SD-10
1966 Fender Super Reverb

Last edited by Levi Gemmell on 2 Jun 2018 2:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2018 6:58 pm    

Hello Levi, I would say that my friend also, George 'Keoki' Lake, is Canada's most unsung hero of Hawaiian music. He has loved it 300 percent, and shared his knowledge with all those who crave it. His Polynesian Room at home is probably a one of a kind collection. I met Keoki during the era of recorded tape. He commenced "round robin" reels of tape, each reel divided into 4 sections onto which 4 of us around the globe would record music and interesting material, send it on to the next person, who would do the same until it came back to Keoki or I and start fresh over. I can't remember the other chaps names, one was in Australia, and myself in Canada, and a 4th I cannot remember where. When I was interested in particular tunes and tunings, George was always helpful. God bless you George, you've been a wonderful friend. Keep on the north side of the grass for a long time yet.

Aloha,
George Rout

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2018 1:30 pm    

Hi Levi, that is a very touching post. As I read it I thought you might be one of the old timers, but I was very relieved to see you say you are young. Congratulations. Someone has to carry this on.

George, likely contenders for the Australian on those tapes would have been Les Adams, Alf Barrie, or Bruce Clarke.

George Rout

Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 7:38 am    

Hello David and thanks for your input. Yes, one was Bruce Clarke and that reminded me I was talking to him the day before he fell down the stairs.

The other Ausie cassette round robin buddy was Graham Griffiths, a huge fan of Andy Iona!!!! Good ole memories all initiated by Keoki Lake.
Geo

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2018 10:10 am    

Interesting post. Was John Marsden from England ever part of your "round robin" tapes?
Question Wally Pfeifer

George Rout

Post  Posted 5 Jun 2018 10:44 am    

Hello Wally and thanks for your input. John wasn't. It was started as an impromptu fun thing as opposed to a "knowledge based" question/answer discussion, although it had its own topics along with music played. Geo

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2018 1:08 pm    

George was very kind and encouraging to me when I first started playing steel and he has truly fanned the flame for Hawaiian music for decades.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2018 8:43 am    

This 90 year old character is somewhat stunned and highly flattered at the kind comments expressed in this thread !
Wow ! Yes, I was a very good friend of the late BRUCE MURRAY (and his gracious lovely wife LYNN).
We had wonderful times together on 2 occasions in NZ and once here in Edmonton.[b][size=18][/size]
Also George Rout and I continue nagging each other in our fun way...great guy !

I appreciate the very kind comments about my playing skills.
I'm still bashing away for whoever will listen to me however, admittedly age has caused my audience to become fewer and fewer.

Mahalo nui loa to each of you ! "Keoki"[/b]

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2018 4:38 pm    

I'm sure you deserve all those accolades George ! Very Happy