Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2018 4:38 am     Re: Survey older MSA P.SG

Paul Wade wrote:
How many still play older MSA pedal steels
At gigs at home . How many bought it New and still
Have it. Just curious

P.w

Mine's from 1976, and I just got it five months ago. I just play at home.

--Al Evans

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 31 May 2018 6:18 am    

I play a 1980 MSA Vintage XL S10. Bought it used in the early 80's and gig with it regularly.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2018 6:24 am    

Well, I am no longer an MSA owner, but was always one pretty much since starting in 1976 when I started playing steel..
Then in 1977 I bought my first MSA new... S10 White Mica, 5 and 4 w/ hard case and MSA rack mount volume pedal.. They were closing them out I think, and starting to use maple/lacquer bodies.. All I know is that brand new MSA all loaded up was $750.. A nice sum in 77 I guess, but I managed, and it was still cheaper than most in those days.. Always had an MSA around even when i played other brands...
Last one went this past winter, a 5 and 4 green lacquer S10..
A guy drove up here from staten island NY, .. an older guy I think around 70 looking for his first pedal steel.. He brought a gorgeous, unplayed , 2 year old Martin D28 Herringbone with him to trade... I looked at his guitar, took him to an upstairs room where both my pedal steels were set up, and told him either the MSA or the S10 Marlen 4&4 were his for his Martin.. He could not play, but looked both over, listened to me play them both, watched how they reacted, and instantly chose the MSA...
I miss my MSA guitars, but seldom play much steel these days outside some noodling every few days, but they will always be in my heart... Simply wonderful old guitars that are every bit as viable and functional as they were 40 + years ago, and most are still in perfectly good playing knick, and will continue to be when all of us on this forum are Stardust... Since that first MSA in 77, I have owned at least 10 others. They were all good players, but some outclassed others in sound. Always like the maple body MSA sound better... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Michael Remming

Kimberly, Idaho, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 May 2018 1:15 pm    

I have a 1977 Classic XL that I leave setup at the guitar players practice studio. Makes it nice, very little setup to do on practice days. I've owned this MSA for 29 years.

Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2018 2:06 pm    

My 1979 MSA U12 is and has been my main steel since I bought it new. In fact, until recently, it was my only steel.
A bit after I purchased it, I was sitting at home on a snowy night. The phone rang. It was Maurice Anderson, who was calling just to see how I liked by guitar.
I still get compliments on my pedal steel that's nearly 40 yrs. old which still looks lovely.
I nearly ordered it in green; glad I didn't. The brown that I ordered is now a deep reddish brown. The steels from that era that were in green don't like as appealing to me now; I learned MSA was experimenting with colorings, and was told they used food coloring, which didn't always stand the test of time.
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 31 May 2018 4:06 pm    

Daniel Morris wrote:

I nearly ordered it in green; glad I didn't. The brown that I ordered is now a deep reddish brown. The steels from that era that were in green don't like as appealing to me now; I learned MSA was experimenting with colorings, and was told they used food coloring, which didn't always stand the test of time.

As you can see in my avatar, I have a green one. Wouldn't have been my first choice of color if I'd bought it new, but it's grown on me. The color hasn't faded at all, although it doesn't see a lot of UV except on the occasional outdoor gig.

Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2018 4:23 pm    

Yeah, I assume some guitars have fared better than others over the years, Tommy.
Wasn't slamming green MSA guitars; as I say, I was leaning that way. It's just that some colors held up better than others, as Kyle told me.
Then again, some folks pay extra for worn looking finishes.
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 31 May 2018 4:30 pm    

Darvin Wilhoite has a terrific MSA collection. That green burst SS D10 is absolutely one of the nicest finishes I've seen. I was struck by it's appearance when it was on the auction block. I wish now that I had bid against him on it. Of course, I didn't know he was the bidder at the time and the ultimate winner. It couldn't have gone to a better home.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 31 May 2018 5:26 pm    

Still have my '70 Classic(bought 1979).Sorry to say I haven't had it out of the case in a couple of years but it played fine then.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 31 May 2018 6:48 pm    

I'm in the process of saving up for an old D-12.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2018 5:45 am    

Daniel Morris wrote:
My 1979 MSA U12 is and has been my main steel since I bought it new. In fact, until recently, it was my only steel.
A bit after I purchased it, I was sitting at home on a snowy night. The phone rang. It was Maurice Anderson, who was calling just to see how I liked by guitar.
I still get compliments on my pedal steel that's nearly 40 yrs. old which still looks lovely.

The green and blues dies used in those years were a headache.. I have seen them fade so bad that no trace of the original color was recognizable, unless it was under the endplates.. They turned an ugly washed out brownish mess.. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2018 7:55 am    

Bob Carlucci wrote:

The green and blues dies used in those years were a headache.. I have seen them fade so bad that no trace of the original color was recognizable, unless it was under the endplates.. They turned an ugly washed out brownish mess.. bob

The green and blues dies used in those years us rumored to be food coloring.

I kept my former green one indoors, out of the sunlight, and only used it on indoor gigs, to avoid the kind of fading Bob mentioned. I used the white mica one when I played outdoors.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2018 2:50 pm     Survey older MSA P.SG

Thanks guys keep it coming. Love those older msa

Bill Bassett

Papamoa New Zealand
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2018 4:41 pm     1975/76

In October 1975 I was playing in Dallas at the Texas State Fair for all 17 days. During that time I had the opportunity to hear Maurice Anderson and his brother playing at The Sheraton Inn on several nights. He invited me to his factory so, how could I resist. At that time I don't think I'd ever seen a wood laquar finish MSA. I was delighted to see that they made them too. Of course he asked how I would want one built for me. So, I told him. He shipped it in January 1976. Yes, I still play it although it's at home now, but I'll fire it up again this weekend.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2018 3:36 am    

TTT

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2018 11:08 am    

Mike wrote:

"I'm in the process of saving up for an old D-12."

When you're ready Mike, I've got one for you. With 10 and 5!

Chris

Gus York

Devon, UK
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2018 3:21 pm     Msa

Got my S10 Classic mid 70's -Great guitar- pedal action great- nice p/ups, stayed in tune even after traveling from UK to NZ and strait onto TV stage-no time to tune up hardly !! Any way that was my axe for over ten years, moved on to MCI- Carter-now ZUM S12. Still reckon that Classic was the best ! Here are a couple of average pics of it (and me) on tour back then ! Just name dropping on one with Albert Lee, we go back a looooong way!

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2018 5:19 pm    

I posted this nice double 12 no interest so converted it to s12 single an it sold. The eninth neck was on the back neck so I put the e 9 on front. Know I have a lot of respect for these old MSA's as a matter of fact I would like to find another old Sd 10 or double 10. With the back neck parts I intend to build a mable body S12. The model that aluminum surrounds pick ups is what I would like to find. I guess that was the next model afeter mine.

Last edited by Johnie King on 6 Jun 2018 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2018 5:38 am     Survey older MSA P.S.G

ha gus,
nice pictures. man that had to be fun playing with
Albert lee. one of my fav players. i see you played thru a fender twin?? Smile

p.w

Gus York

Devon, UK
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 12:28 pm     Msa

Hi Paul- Yeah great fun playing alongside Albert-various gigs! Mind you I didn't do a lot of actual playing when with Alb. as I was too busy trying to figure out how the hell he was doing what he does !! Hah!
Great times though.No not a Fender twin but a great Vibrasonic, same as a twin but with a single JBL 15".
Really great amp but too heavy now for my aged back !! Now play thru two Roland 60 cubes, not a bad sound but manageable to carry! Gus.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 3:17 am    

ttt

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 6:24 pm    

I have played several down through the years, I'm currently restoring a Classic SS. Here's an old Classic I bought from Paul Wade, restored and played it for a few years. Kind of wish I still had it.

Here's how it sounded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW7o6GHl9ps
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2018 10:45 am    

[url]
Still playing an older S-10 MSA Classic with 5&5, use it about everyday. It will be my last pedal steel, but at least it has a great track record for long lasting pedal steels, theres plenty of them still out there, the only way to kill em is use a sledge hammer, some steel players wives have already thought of that answer!!

Love my old MSA

Ernie Pollock
301-264-4172 Shocked

Douglas Cresanta

Satellite Beach, FL
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2018 3:11 pm    

In 1978, I bought my MSA Semi-Classic, single 10. It
had 1 knee lever that lowered the E's.

Thru the years, I've added 2 more knee levers, so I
now have 3 x 3.

I play most every day, now that I'm retired. Luckily,
the local music store has a Country jam most Saturdays
from 2:00 to 3:00 which I attend. Have also gigged a
few times recently.

My MSA looks as good as it did when I bought it and it
sounds good and stays in tune. Can't ask for more.

Doug C.