The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Warren Neilson passed
JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 4:43 pm    

Just got word from down under that Warren Has passed away, he was a good friend, he would always stop by an see me when he came to the states. He was a good steel guitar player with good taste in his playing. He had been sick for some time so this didn't come as a surprise, perhaps some of his mates can tell us more.

Dan Rollans

Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 5:01 pm     Warren

Rest In Peace my friend. Warren has been a great friend of my parents,Kenn and Dorothy Rollans along with myself for more years than I can count. It was always special to visit with him at the shows. Last thing he would say to me was "give your mum a big hung from me". I'm sure he will give dad a big hug from me.

Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 10:18 pm    

Just had a chat with Paddy Long and he informed me that our good friend Warren had just passed away suddenly. What a shock. He was a great friend to all Steel players and a lovely man. He will be sorely missed by all his friends down under. RIP Wazza.

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 10:44 pm    

R.I.P Dear Warren,
I always enjoyed His company at the Dallas shows.An absolute Gentleman.

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 10:44 pm    

R.I.P Dear Warren,
I always enjoyed His company at the Dallas shows.An absolute Gentleman.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 11:59 pm    

Very sad news. RIP Warren.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Milt Quackenbush

Gold Coast, Nerang Queensland
Post  Posted 29 May 2018 2:14 am    

My heart is heavy today, with the passing of my special friend and fellow steeler, Warren Nielsen. We first met in St Louis, MO, in 1996, and immediately became special buds.. He sometimes stayed with us in Branson on his annual USA steel guitar trips... Everyone who met Warren, loved him. He was one special person, always positive, always happy. One of those special people you feel blessed to know. They don't come any better than Wazza... And on top of being a superb human being, he was also one very talented pedal steel player too... He was magic... I am so thankful that we lived just 20 minutes apart here on the Gold Coast, Queensland. It meant we got to visit often, and if we weren't talking football, we were talking music... I'm going to miss you mate, more than you will ever know... It was a very sad moment when we said our goodbyes in the hospital yesterday, and even harder to be told of your passing today. R.I.P Waz... Love you brother.

Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 29 May 2018 2:44 am    

Our last club meet has been made special ever more so now with a visit from Warren. He laughed and joked with us all and vowed 'I'll be back'
My cherished memory now is of him leaving out the door at the end f the day waving with the words. "See ya boys"
He was always willing to share what he knew.
Thanks Waz for all you gave mate!!!
Rip
https://www.facebook.com/Brisbanesteelguitarfestival2015/posts/1570858173022576

Spencer Scott

England (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 May 2018 3:04 am    

So sad to hear the news of Warren,s passing. The first time I meet Warren was in Brisbane,all way,s laughing
We have lost a great musician and a friend to all
RIP my friend .
Spence

JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 29 May 2018 4:38 am    

Bill Jobes was a special friend of Warren, Bill host the annual Rachet Jam just a few miles out of KC. Warren would come to the jam an stay with Bill. Bill went down under to see Warren several times, they was very close friends Bill does not do the internet so I just wanted to say a few words for Bill who is one of many who will miss Warren.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 29 May 2018 6:53 am    

I'm sorry to hear of his passing. I always enjoyed visiting with him at the steel shows. Always a smile; a very positive spirit. RIP, Warren.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 29 May 2018 9:22 am    

This will be a long thread. I can echo everything that has been posted about Warren's friendship, enthusiasm, and incredibly gregarious personality. Always there with a warm hug and a "howya doin', mate?"

I shall miss him, as I have in the last few years do his illness curtailing his travel. RIP, buddy.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 29 May 2018 12:28 pm    

When I first met Warren he told me I had to come with him to the Dallas steel show in 2006 - which I did and have been back most years since, and getting to play the main stage in 2016 and 2018 - Warren was very supportive and encouraging and this wouldn't have happened without him. He has become a very close friend and I stayed with him quite a bit on my trips to Brisbane in Aussie for steel shows etc ... he always had that wonderful smile, incredible sense of humour and was just the most amazing and warm human being.

I will miss him a lot, and it will seem a bit strange without him there, when I pop across the ditch to Aussie at the end of next month for the steel guitar show ...RIP Wazza, you were an absolute gem - love ya mate!!

Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Murray McDowall

Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 29 May 2018 2:23 pm    

I only met Warren a few times, the first was when I purchased my black Zumsteel from him back in '07.
What a great guy! He could not do enough for me!
Thanks so much Paddy.
RIP Wazza.
Telonics TCA-500C & FP-100D pedal.
Steelers Choice Sidekick & Backrest.
Steelers Choice Seat.

Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 29 May 2018 3:13 pm    

RIP Warren Sad

Always encouraging, welcoming & happy to share.
A top class player, & his versions of Roly Poly & Goin' Fishin' (Andy Griffith Theme) he made his own, & were magic to hear!
Our sad loss, is the Heavenly Choirs gain, & as Paddy said, the festival this year, won't be the same.
Thanks for the music Waz!

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2018 4:53 pm    

Warren was a breath of fresh air! I always gave him a hug to take back to Tony Davis, and he did the same. People seemed to flock to Warren. He was the real deal: a talented man with a warm and gentle soul. I loved his sense of humor, and will always remember his kindness and acceptance of this ole girl.
Deepest condolences to Warren's friends and family.
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 29 May 2018 6:00 pm    

This photo sums him up the best I think -- a huge smile and seated behind his beloved Zum !!

Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2018 10:20 pm    

Wonderful picture, Paddy!
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Daniel Dickie

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 30 May 2018 1:48 am    

Very sad to hear of Warren's passing as he was always very encouraging to the younger players and a good guy
I'm glad he enjoyed my wife's cheesecake at the last meeting and made a few amusing comments about it during the meeting.
We will all miss him
RIP Wazza

Tomi Graso

Sydney / Australia
Post  Posted 30 May 2018 2:26 am    

So sorry to hear about Warrens passing. I had many fun times with this great man talking steel and staying at his place and picking steel. He was always so enthusiastic and welcoming , loved his friendship and never ending great enthusiasm for the steel guitar. I have to Thank this man for being my guide and support through the years, for all those endless hours of talking steel over the phone and great laughs. Steel guitar world would never be the same without you Warren. We will dearly miss you my dear friend. I promise to keep that flame of enthusiasm burning and carry the steel guitar torch in your honour till the end of time. All the best on your journey through Eternity , have a safe flight my friend. Miss ya already ! God Bless from Tomi...

Tony Davis

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Post  Posted 30 May 2018 4:40 am    

I first met Warren in 1972...we have been the best of mates since then.....too many stories and capers to write here
R.I.P Waz my friend

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2018 5:06 am     Warren

A very nice man that I got to chat with at the steel shows. He would always ask about my coworker Marty McCann who I worked the St. Louis convention with for many years. He is missed. RIP Warren.

Tommy Dodd

Acworth, Ga., USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 May 2018 8:21 am    

I certainly agree with all of the above statements about Warren's personality, kindness, sense of humor, etc. He was the kind of friend that you might not see for years, but when you did see him, he would make it feel like you saw him just last week. He made everyone feel "special" that way. Bruce Zumsteg introduced me to Warren many years ago in St. Louis. I will always cherish the times we had to visit.

My heart is very heavy today. RIP my brother.

Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 30 May 2018 12:53 pm    

I'm going to print out these beautiful tributes and make sure Billie (daughter) gets them.
Wonderful testimony to him!!

Milt Quackenbush

Gold Coast, Nerang Queensland
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2018 12:37 am     Waz As We Remember Him.

Here is a picture of Wazza playing at the Brisbane Steel Guitar monthly meet... What a great player he was. What a wonderful man he was... If you spent time with Waz, you laughed a lot. Always positive. Always happy. R.I.P. mate.