The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Fults Proto-1 Pedal Steel Guitar... NEW PICS OF UNDERSIDE...
Brad Fults

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2018 2:30 am    

Dad has sent me some pics of the bottom side now... here are a few.
Feel free w/any more questions and Dad also want to thank you all for the input and your kind words.

This past weekend, Dad went down to Nashville and met with Charlie Whitten who just fell in love with the PROTO-1 and played it all Saturday night on stage...
Charlie said it was the smoothest, best feeling steel he has ever sat behind... He went on about the tones/sounds are just amazing to boot...
In fact, Dad just received a phone call from Charlie and told Dad straight up that he wants one...
We are very thankful for all the kind words of praise the Fults Proto-1 has been getting in its short debut...
Its looking better and better for the likes of production ... Will keep y'all posted as it develops into reality.

Here are the pics. Dad sent, will have better ones in near future...

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 25 May 2018 6:07 am    

Beautiful machining and workmanship! Kudos to your dad!

Brad Fults

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2018 11:15 am    

Ross Shafer wrote:

Thank you much Ross... Dads that way w/what ever he does. I will relay your praise and he will be tickled...

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 25 May 2018 11:29 am    

Brad Fults wrote:
Ross Shafer wrote:

Thank you much Ross... Dads that way w/what ever he does. I will relay your praise and he will be tickled...

I am a machinist and have been for 50 years. Ross is spot on, beautiful machining. Now you will have to tell your Dad 2 times! Very Happy

I would like a close up of the 2 round copper looking discs just below the fret board. They almost look like pennies, but I'm sure they are not. Beautiful job!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 May 2018 2:16 pm    

Me too. I've been "oohing" at the excellent machine work.

I was in the Vocational Machine Shop curriculum in High School (Mechanicsburg Pa). The Machine Shop teacher was a machinist and worked for DeWalt and machined some of the parts in the original DeWalt saw. Your father will like this, if we were given a task to turn something down on a lathe and given a + or - tolerance it better be dead on or we would "catch it".

John N Norris

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2018 5:38 pm     Fults Proto

I was a Machinist for 32 years, and a machine parts Inspector for 16 years.
From the photos, that is some Beautiful Machine work.

John n.

Brad Fults

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2018 7:14 pm     Fults Proto-1 ....dads A Retired Machinist

Thank you Ross, Bill, Jack and John... I will let Dad know your words and he will get a big smile...

Let y'all in on Dads background...
He went into the Navy in his early 20's and trained as a Machinist... The few men in there all made something to pass the time/practice... most of that they made was weapons of some sort... Dad made a Pistol, Revolver style, like a Colt... I will post a pic. of it I took awhile back... Anyway, he past through the Navy and went right into Machinist work at 1 company, kinda short term, and then he landed on the University of Illinois... There he worked in a testing lab and he made them all sorts of things for testing high pressures w/this and that... He retired from there and took machinist work home w/him... He has a full scale machine shop in his garage...
He has designed and produced R/C Landing Gear... Banjo Tailpieces... Pedal Brass Banjo... And now the Fults Proto-1 Pedal Steel Guitar... Which he LOVES...
So long story kinda short, he's been doin this for, about 60 years!...
And i'm so proud of him w/this Steel Guitar... It truly is amazing. And just to let y'all know.. I have to be the one that says it, because he never will!... he's always lookin and knowin he can do better, some how... In fact, he's already made a few "tweeks" to the second production, LOL...

So anyway... There is Dads history of Machinist and we Thank You again Ross, Bill, Jack and John for the praise.
Brad Fults
(will post that pic. of that revolver he made when early 20's in Navy)

ALMOST FORGOT... YES... THEM ARE 2 INDIAN HEAD PENNIES IN THE FRET BOARD!!! ... long story, lol...

Brad Fults

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2018 7:46 pm     FULTS PROTO-1 and pic. of Dads first machining project...

Here's the Pistol he made on a ship in the Navy when he was in his early 20's...
pic was takin few years back and its w/some of the knives I make...
ps... the only thing dad did not make on that pistol was the barrel... everything else, he made.

I'm just showing this pistol to go with Dads machinist history story above.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 May 2018 11:35 pm    

Brad,Your dad is an amazing man!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Brad Fults

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2018 11:59 pm    

Stu Schulman wrote:
Brad,Your dad is an amazing man!

Thank you Stu for the great words of praise... I see his work all the time and i'm still amazed...

And forgot to say that he has totes full of spiral note books w/drawings/plans/layouts/details in them over the years...
I can truly say Dad is very meticulous and organized in his art...

Brad Fults

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2018 12:19 am    

Bill Groner wrote:
Brad Fults wrote:
Ross Shafer wrote:

I am a machinist and have been for 50 years. Ross is spot on, beautiful machining. Now you will have to tell your Dad 2 times! Very Happy

I would like a close up of the 2 round copper looking discs just below the fret board. They almost look like pennies, but I'm sure they are not. Beautiful job!

And yes Bill... They are 2 Indian head pennies...
The reason they are there is because there was a small cosmetic flaw in the fret board in the one area, so Dad milled out 2 matching spots and pressed in the 2 pennies.... No more flaw... Winking

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 26 May 2018 5:28 am    

Brad Fults wrote:
Bill Groner wrote:
Brad Fults wrote:
Ross Shafer wrote:

The reason they are there is because there was a small cosmetic flaw in the fret board in the one area, so Dad milled out 2 matching spots and pressed in the 2 pennies.... No more flaw... Winking

LOL!!! There is always a way to disguise a flaw. One shop I worked in we had just bought a new Bridgeport milling machine. The boss had a meeting with us and told us what he DID NOT EXPECT. In other words, his rules for the new piece of equipment. I remember one rule he emphasized......."If I see a hole drilled in the table, that guy will be packing his toolbox and looking for another job!" All went well for 6 months till one day, someone drilled the table. It was a very shallow hole, but still noticeable on a new machine. He proceeded to drill the hole deeper much to my surprise. He then got out a tap, threaded the hole, wound a set screw in it, and letter stamped in a radial fashion around the set screw "oil monthly" Boss, didn't catch it and the guy retired from the place! Very Happy

Brad Fults

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2018 6:59 am    

Bill Groner wrote:
Brad Fults wrote:
Bill Groner wrote:
Brad Fults wrote:
Ross Shafer wrote:

LOL!!! There is always a way to disguise a flaw. One shop I worked in we had just bought a new Bridgeport milling machine. The boss had a meeting with us and told us what he DID NOT EXPECT. In other words, his rules for the new piece of equipment. I remember one rule he emphasized......."If I see a hole drilled in the table, that guy will be packing his toolbox and looking for another job!" All went well for 6 months till one day, someone drilled the table. It was a very shallow hole, but still noticeable on a new machine. He proceeded to drill the hole deeper much to my surprise. He then got out a tap, threaded the hole, wound a set screw in it, and letter stamped in a radial fashion around the set screw "oil monthly" Boss, didn't catch it and the guy retired from the place! Very Happy

That's a good one Bill... Dad said he's got his 2cents in it now... Well take care Bill and may talk again my friend.

Brad Fults

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2018 7:20 am     The Indian Head Pennies...

HERES THE INDIAN HEAD PENNIES INLAID IN THE FRET BOARD OF THE FULTS PROTO-1... I THINK BILL ASKED FOR A CLOSE-UP, LOL...

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 27 May 2018 4:46 am     Fults Prototype

OK, I have another 2 questions for you Brad. What exactly does that row of tuners on the treble side do? I have no clue what does what on a PSG. I am having fun building and playing lap steel. I know from personal experience just making a lap steel takes a lot of time. Do you have any idea how many hours your Dad has in this project?

Brad Fults

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2018 5:30 am     Re: Fults Prototype

Bill Groner wrote:
OK, I have another 2 questions for you Brad. What exactly does that row of tuners on the treble side do? I have no clue what does what on a PSG. I am having fun building and playing lap steel. I know from personal experience just making a lap steel takes a lot of time. Do you have any idea how many hours your Dad has in this project?

Hi Bill, they are all tuning knobs... the ones on the head stock are the basic tension course adjustments on the strings, and the row of tuners on top, are the new design of dads... they are the fine tuning knobs.. On all other steels, those are located on the end of the guitar in the end plate, and use a wrench to adjust... And this took Dad about 2years in development/design and build... every day... Dads also a work-a-hollic… This was of course the prototype and had a lot of figuring out and trial and error... And something else to consider is... Dad is also new to the pedal steel... He is just starting to take lessons!!! And keep in mind that he does not know how to "surf the web" for any tutorials, or youtube, or such... he can barely check his emails... he's just not the computer style guy, kinda old school yah know... I'm trying to talk him into a facebook account, and that's like pullin teeth...

Brad Fults

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2018 5:49 am     Checking Into Subbing Out Some Machine Work, Cnc Work...

Dad is now pursuing some CNC work from a few different machine shops he knows and getting costs calculated up with different options of parts made for production... This will dictate how/if production will go w/this... Keep in mind that Dads 80+ young and he wants to do what he loves to do, but not be held down at this point in time... He wants all to be smooth or he wont do it. If he does sub out some of the component production, it will always be inspected and assembled by Dad and pass his fine eyes for perfection...Will be keeping y'all posted as we get lined out. Thank you all again, Brad Fults[/b]

Ray Lamoureux

Hartford,New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2018 11:37 am     Re: Checking Into Subbing Out Some Machine Work, Cnc Work...

Brad Fults wrote:
Dad is now pursuing some CNC work from a few different machine shops he knows and getting costs calculated up with different options of parts made for production... This will dictate how/if production will go w/this... Keep in mind that Dads 80+ young and he wants to do what he loves to do, but not be held down at this point in time... He wants all to be smooth or he wont do it. If he does sub out some of the component production, it will always be inspected and assembled by Dad and pass his fine eyes for perfection...Will be keeping y'all posted as we get lined out. Thank you all again, Brad Fults[/b]
Hey Brad,Lots of metal there.Must weight more than other Steels.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2018 3:41 am    

Very impressive, especially the fine tuners. I'd love to see an underside pic from that end of the guitar.

Brad Fults

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2018 3:52 am     Re: Checking Into Subbing Out Some Machine Work, Cnc Work...

Ray Lamoureux wrote:
Brad Fults wrote:
Hey Brad,Lots of metal there.Must weight more than other Steels.

Hi Ray, shes built to last of course, she weighs right at 50lbs... Dad will be making some minor changes to the future ones and will be a few lbs lighter w/o any changes to the mechanics, quality or sound... just some minor things here and there... Thank you for the question and feel free w/any other input and will be keeping all intune as Dad is getting closer on this each day...

Brad Fults

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2018 4:02 am    

Mike Neer wrote:
Very impressive, especially the fine tuners. I'd love to see an underside pic from that end of the guitar.

Hi Mike, the first pic above is the best pic that I have at this time … Dad sent me them pics to post and im sure there will be others I get when Dad makes this finalized and open for production. Thank you again Mike for your input and feel free w/any other questions...

Michael Weaver

Buffalo Grove, IL
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 3:22 pm    

Are there any plans for a D-10?

Brad Fults

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 1:37 am    

Michael Weaver wrote:
Are there any plans for a D-10?

Hi Michael, No there will not be... this single neck is complicated enough w/all the bells and whistles... Dads just sticking w/this one model for now. Have a great day Michael and thanks for the question, Brad Fults

Eric Denmark

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 8:47 am    

WOW!!

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2018 7:06 am    

How did he get that anodized, copper look to some of the components? Love that added color!!!