The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Storing chord charts online -- band members have access??
Steve Green

Gulfport, MS, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2018 12:14 pm    

I'm the music director of my church. We have a pianist, rhythm guitarist, lead guitarist, bassist and drummer.

I've accumulated 288 PDF files of chord charts for different songs we do.

Each week, I've been choosing the following week's music, and emailing the charts to the band members. For those without printers, I've been copying the charts to a thumb drive, taking them to church and printing them out.

My question is . . .
Is there a way I can create some kind of "cloud" storage folder to upload all 288 (and counting) PDF's to? I would like it to be accessible to all band members.

My goal is to be able to tell the band members, "This week we're doing Amazing Grace, Jericho Road, Chain Breaker, and In The Garden". Then have them be responsible to provide their own copies (either printed on or a tablet).

A way to do this that is free would also be a plus Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Mike Selecky

BrookPark, Ohio
Post  Posted 24 May 2018 7:08 pm    

Google Drive

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2424384?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Starts with 15GB free - should be plenty for all your pdf files

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 May 2018 9:36 am    

Dropbox is a good option too. I use both Dropbox and Google Drive. I use Dropbox on stage. I use it mainly for set lists, but I'll occasionally put a chart under the song name in the list for songs I am not 100% sure of.

The only problem with cloud storage for charts to be used in live concert is, the user needs internet access to access the files. Of course, they might be able to download the files onto their tablet (or phone) and access them off-line.

I know one person that will take all charts needed, and cut and paste them into one document in order of play for a set. You just have to scroll through the document instead of having to switch between files. Of course, it only works if the band follows the set list.

I played in a band that used OnSong. You can connect any device to the master (probably YOUR tablet) by Wi-Fi. The problem is, they wouldn' stick to the set list, and you would see band members constantly swiping across the screen looking for the right chart. Very irritating.