The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Old California Newspapers yield interesting stuff ...
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 23 May 2018 3:57 am    

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc

'did a little quick searching in the California Digital Newspaper archive. Probably lots of cool stuff to find. In the 10 mins I had, I found these glimpses of a lost steel guitar world ...

DESERT SUN, #14, 10/8/53

Quote:
"WESTERN NIGHT EACH WEEK AT DOLL HOUSE
“Swing that tootsie gal. And Boys park your shootin’ irons at the door. Take off your boots or leave ’em on.” So shouted George Strebe, owner of the Doll House when he learned that Noel Boggs’ Western combo have agreed to make Thursday night the night when they will play weekly at that famous night spot, starting tonight. “So help me,” decIared Strebe, “by the off-side hoof of that pinto tied up there at my hitching post, I plan to encourage the Western atmosphere in Palm Springs.” George said that a hayrack' wagon or a tallyho will bo rolling down Palm Canyon drive Thursday evening to pick up "just anybody who cares to come to the Doll House for the Western styled fun.

There’ll be good grub, and I promise a lot of fun for everybody." Boggs who plays the steel guitar, has starred on CBS and American Broadcasting System as well as on programs with Gene Autry, eight years with Spade Cooley and more recently with the Wakeley show. “One last word,” continuedd Strebe, “if you have no Western clothes just come as you are and we will furnish the West ern hat for the night

Quote:
Come To The BIG FREE WESTERN DANCE Saturday Nite Aug. 4th 9 P.M. TILL??? Parkwood Village Jamboree Western Music By Elwin Cross and His Country Cousins 5 Piece Band Featuring Elwin Cross and His Guitar Rudy Fanner And Hit Steel Guitar Do Biggs And Electric Guitar One of Greatest Western Dance Groups of Calif. You've Heard Elwin Cross On KYNO Now See Him In Person At Parkwood Village Merry-Go-Round For Kiddies Prizes Galore Free Punch—Free Snacks Make It Family Night In Parkwood Village

Elwin Cross?

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 23 May 2018 5:18 am    

Rudy Fanner almost certainly an optical character recognition error for Rudy Farmer of Bigsby lore.

Re Elwin Cross; he had been a DJ and musician since 1930, mostly around Fresno. I think your 1956 article is from the Madera newspaper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Stogner

"Elwin Cross and the Arizona Ramblers was an important band in part because Cross hired two future stalwarts, Bill Woods and Dave Stogner. Woods later formed his own Texas Stars and Stogner started the Arkansawyers."

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/33535605/elwin-cross

Cliff Sundin, as below, is the same guy who did the Wills Tiffany transcriptions.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 23 May 2018 7:07 am    

Thanks, Mitch! The forum never ceases to amaze.