The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My portable live sound rig
David DeLoach

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2018 5:53 am    

I play solo guitar/lap steel gigs for corporate events, weddings, etc., and I play during lunch when I can make it at a nursing home. I'm about to start doing some coffee house gigs as well.

Setting up the sound is a pain for me. I've had situations where I forgot a power cord, or an XLR cord, etc. There's just a lot of pieces and parts to bring. And it takes time to set up, and it seems I never get sound out of my speakers right away and I have to spend time figuring out what I set up wrong.

I've been wanting a portable unit that I could wheel in and minimize my set up time. I bought this road case off of Craigslist for cheap. It was configured for a DJ's turntables and laptop. It has rollers on one end so I can wheel it around!! I set it up with my mixer, a couple Strymon pedals (cabled stereo into the FX in/out of the mixing board), two LR Baggs para acoustic DI's and my laptop (for backing tracks). I can pack two Anchor AN-1000 powered speakers in it (these are great bang for the buck for small rooms). If I'm playing a larger room/venue, I'll haul along my large Mackie SRM450 powered speakers and use the Anchors for monitors. If I play a room that already has a PA, I can run Line Out of my mixer into the house PA.

I can use this for acoustic guitar, classical guitar, archtop, lap steel, and fiddle. The Stymon BigSky has a cabinet emulation switch which makes it great for using with a board. No amp required.

This rig sounds surprisingly great. It took a bit of work to set up, but will save me lots of time & effort down the road.