The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Honky Tonk is Alive in Nashville
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 4:02 pm    

Just saw this super cool documentary about people keeping the traditional country alive and well in Nashville and wanted to share it with all of you here on the forum. Also if anyone knows who that is singing "Too Young" toward the end of the film on the soundtrack, not live please please let me know. I liked it but couldn't figure out the artist.
https://www.greatbigstory.com/stories/gbf-honky-tonk

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 4:36 pm    

Daniel,

The credits are listed at the end (46:10).

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 4:54 pm    

Guess I just missed it. Thanks!

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 7:28 pm    

You'll never go wrong with a Mel Tillis song, " Brand New Mister Me " SwampWater Fox - Media Group. Laughing That's Country. Winking

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 8:51 pm    

LJ Eiffert wrote:
You'll never go wrong with a Mel Tillis song, " Brand New Mister Me " SwampWater Fox - Media Group. Laughing That's Country. Winking

Unfortunately, that song and several other Mel Tillis songs was written by his piano player, Ronnie Mack who shot his wife with a shotgun in the early 80s.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2018 3:52 pm    

At 14:00 the guy singing and playing Bass is Ronnie Dale Rotroff who played bass for ET for years.

Ronnie also was a boyhood friend of Donny Young (Johnny Paycheck). Donny left Nashville and returned to Michigan to live and Ronnie went back to Michigan and brought him back to Nashville.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2018 3:51 pm    

Thats very cool Darrel, I knew Ronnie had some connection to Ernest Tubb but wasn't sure what he did and I never had heard the parts about Johnny Paycheck (Donny Young).

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2018 4:22 pm    

Donny had a very interesting and I guess for him tortured beginning of his career in Nashville. I think there is a story about him being found under a bridge. I was told an episode of his life that isn't very well talked about was he returned to Michigan after being in Nashville for a while. I talked with Ronnie a bit about it, but the whole thing is so complicated I really didn't get a lot of details, although Ronnie is glad to talk about it. I was told he did a long interview with someone researching Paycheck's career but haven't seen it anywhere. Paycheck before the beard and mustache was one of the greatest country singers and also a fabulous songwriter. You can find quite easily pictures on the internet of him playing steel for Buck Owens.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 3:06 pm    

Should have mentioned this but Clyde Moody was the one singing "Too Young" and there is some awesome steel playing on it.