The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Opinions on this u12?
Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2018 2:29 pm    

Any opinions on this U12 for a beginner who would be looking to use this with standard universal?

https://reverb.com/item/12261246-williams-guitar-company-400-series-12-string-pedal-steel-guitar-7-pedals-and-5-knee-levers-with-hard

Williams Guitar Company 400 Series 12 String Pedal Steel Guitar 7 Pedals and 5 Knee Levers with Hard

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 19 May 2018 2:46 pm    

Is there a local player who can help you set it up, or will the seller set it up universal? Looks like a fine instrument for a fair price.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2018 2:49 pm    

Williams guitars are great I have a SD-10 4 & 5 that I love it is the same color as this one and is a great guitar. At that price It wont be there long. Anyone looking for a U-12 I think would be very happy with that one.

Barry

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2018 2:51 pm    

I wrote to him. What would be involved to convert to a standard u12?

I guess this won’t have the lock thing that I don’t totally understand. Would that be a big deal?

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 19 May 2018 2:56 pm    

Easy to make changes on Williams guitars. It appears to have started out as a universal. If all the hardware is still under the guitar, you could switch it back.

Bill Rudolph (the builder) is still in business. He and his son are very helpful.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2018 2:57 pm    

Ok I made an offer contingent on talking to Williams on Monday. Thanks for the help.

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 20 May 2018 9:38 am    

I agree with everyone.

Looks like a good axe for a good price, and unmolested.

You should be able to set it up no problem, and if you need parts, that shouldn't be a problem either.

I'm sure Bill Rudolph could get you a UNI rodding chart, to make setting it up easier.
But you don't need that, really.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2018 9:46 am    

Looks nice. Don't forget to negotiate a return policy, just in case.
Can someone refresh my memory on the function of the one really long knee lever?
Is that the LKV?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 May 2018 9:50 am    

Paul McEvoy wrote:

.....I guess this won’t have the lock thing that I don’t totally understand. Would that be a big deal?

I suppose someone who has always used the lever lock might say yes. I have never used one and it truly does not appeal to me. So I'd say no. Not 'no, you shouldn't have a lock' but 'no, it shouldn't be a deal breaker.'

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2018 10:12 am    

The lever lock is nice to have when you are spending time in the B6th-mode (so you don't have to engage/hold the B6th-mode knee lever the whole time you are playing B6th-mode).
You can have one added by Williams if you choose.
It's not a deal breaker for me, but I like to use it when I want to. You can use a strap or bungee chord if you want to.

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 20 May 2018 11:06 am    

Pete Burak wrote:
The lever lock is nice to have when you are spending time in the B6th-mode (so you don't have to engage/hold the B6th-mode knee lever the whole time you are playing B6th-mode).
You can have one added by Williams if you choose.
It's not a deal breaker for me, but I like to use it when I want to. You can use a strap or bungee chord if you want to.

Or you could temporaraily retune the strings.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 May 2018 1:20 pm    

Pete -- in the rare times that I devote extended practice time to B6 (and I never find myself in pure B6 territory when actually playing) I definitely feel like it would be nice to have the lock.

I just want a novice who's trying to figure what's what in E9/B6 Uni to understand that you can do everything on a Uni without the lock. It is a convenience like cruise control, letting you take your foot of the gas pedal (knee off the E lever).

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2018 2:11 pm    

I have no problem with not having or not using a lock.
Any beginner interested in B6th is going to spend alot of time there though, I would think.
fwiw, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Steel had a lock on it already. I see some empty holes next to the LKR linkage.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2018 7:04 pm     Opinions on this u12

It looks like it has been set up with Universal 12 tuning, Using the long horizonal lever like Jeff Newman used on his U12 tuning. It lowered the 5th string B to A# and could be hit while on any pedal. Just by raising his knee. Someone may have moved the LKR pulls to the horizontal lever. Mr. Newman played Day set up with his D lever (Lowering 4 & 8 to D# and 2nd string to C# on his RKR. It allows you to use the weight of your leg to help hold the lever in.
Good Luck if you go for it.

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2018 7:07 pm     Re: Opinions on this u12

Bobby D. Jones wrote:
It looks like it has been set up with Universal 12 tuning, Using the long horizonal lever like Jeff Newman used on his U12 tuning. It lowered the 5th string B to A# and could be hit while on any pedal. Just by raising his knee. Someone may have moved the LKR pulls to the horizontal lever. Mr. Newman played Day set up with his D lever (Lowering 4 & 8 to D# and 2nd string to C# on his RKR. It allows you to use the weight of your leg to help hold the lever in.
Good Luck if you go for it.

Thanks for the info...trying to understand though, you’re saying it started out as a U12 and someone changed some things that can be changed back?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 May 2018 4:20 am    

I'm having a difficult time reading the setup from the picture so I can't help there but it is fair to assume that a 12 string 7 + 5 was designed for Uni (as the ad says). It requires imagination to find things to do for 7 pedals in an Ext. E9.

Anything that has been changed from Uni can be changed back. Could take some effort, though. Routing your way through that jungle of rods makes things challenging.

If you are not experienced with setting up a PSG, it would be excellent if you had some help. Keeping rods straight and unimpeded yet maintaining appropriate bellcrank and changer hole choices can get interesting.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2018 4:48 am    

As Jon said, there is an awful lot of hardware on there for an E9. Overkill.. that guitar was designed as a universal, and thats what it was intended to be. It was either modified by a previous owner to Ex. E9, or was a U12 guitar ordered with an E9 copedent, but that would be a foolish thing to do.. Most likely changed over by an E( only player... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2018 5:11 am    

I talked to Bill just now. He said the guitar looks good but there is some tendency for the changers to wear out on those guitars. Since it’s sold by a music store I don’t know if they can properly evaluate that. Do not sure what to do. I’d rather buy something on here from a reputable member if I can but nothing has come up lately. I’m in Massachusetts.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 21 May 2018 5:49 am    

As regards the lever lock, I built my first uni without one and never felt the lack. When I ordered my Excel, Mr Fujii more or less isisted on fitting one so I said ok so as not to risk offending him but I have never used it. I tried it but I kept forgetting it was on!

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2018 6:05 am     lever lock

Ian- question for you (and apologies to Paul for the hijack, but hopefully this will be informative to us both): Do you spend much playing time in B6thville? I know there's not always a straightforward answer to that depending on how you conceptualize the tuning, but I am wondering if there is a correlation between the frequency of C6 emulation and the need to engage that lever full time.
Paul Redmond did an excellent job getting my U12 Kline in order and felt that there was little or no need to add a lock when I inquired. He's been proven right so far (as he has with all info & advice he's shared- top notch). I suppose I'm feeling out if that option is more an unnecessary cheat which can prove a hindrance as in your experience.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 May 2018 6:07 am    

Paul McEvoy wrote:
I talked to Bill just now. He said the guitar looks good but there is some tendency for the changers to wear out on those guitars. Since it’s sold by a music store I don’t know if they can properly evaluate that. Do not sure what to do. I’d rather buy something on here from a reputable member if I can but nothing has come up lately. I’m in Massachusetts.

It would be a rare music store that could accurately (and honestly) assess the mechanical condition of a PSG. To think that you might buy it and discover that it indeed suffered from the wear that Bill acknowledges is an issue with a 21 year old guitar of this this era of his production models (and what a testimonial to Bill for sharing this advice!)......I'd hate to have to admit to the world that I'd ignored Bill's words.

In my opinion, the price is not killer. It is not a deal you can't refuse. I (personally) would place a lot of store in Bill's concerns.

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2018 7:39 am    

Yeah I was thinking about low balling it and having it sent to Bill for approval and service?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 May 2018 8:12 am    

That would be pretty perfect, wouldn't it? A lot of pieces need to fall into place.

What I would do:

Ask Bill if he'd be willing to put an appraisal value on it, sight unseen. I will assume (for argument's sake) that the seller's "Excellent Condition" means it seems to work properly.

Then get a price from Bill to look at it. Factor that into your offer to the seller (explaining to the seller what Bill has told you). However, you will be out of pocket for Bill's inspection, thumb's up or down.

I will be surprised if the seller wants to go for this but you never know how badly they want to get something off the floor.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 21 May 2018 10:19 am    

And while at the Williams factory, you can get it properly rodded to the original U-12 copedant, and add a lock if you feel you want one. If Bill will buy into the project, and the price is right, this becomes a real no lose proposition.

I love my Williams. Great guitars.

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2018 11:26 am    

What would you think a reasonable price would be?

It seems like I’ve seen a number of decent u12s from known sellers here around $2k, this would be considerably more involved than buying an existing U12.