The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Have we reached the "Top" yet?
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 22 May 2018 7:21 am    

I have to agree, it sure looks that way....

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 22 May 2018 8:05 am    

I think, rather than a "top", we maybe reached a bit of a plateau? Tone-wise, IMHO, there has not been "improvement" so much as maybe a shift in what is considered "normal tone". This has more to do with pickups and amp EQ and picking style more than anything else.

As to why a plateau, it seems to me the standard construction as refined by Zumsteel, Bud Carter, the all-pull Emmons, etc kind of hit a level, and changes became pretty subtle for a while. Carter and Zum tried to get body contact on the fingers to get more tone, and similar ideas were tried, but none took the PSG world by storm.

Seems to me improvements come in two types:

1) Better sound

2) Easier to play

Most changes in the past 15 years would, I think fit category 2. I have only played a few Zumsteels, MSA Millenniums, 70's Sho-Buds, and one Kline and one ZB student model. There is no doubt in my mind that the action of the guitars became much more refined by the early 80's, as one of the Zums was an 84, and it's action was pretty much like the newer Zums, MSA's, and Kline than the Sho-Buds. As well, the ability to adjust the guitar to fit the player greatly improved over time.

As for better sound, I can't say there has been any improvement - just look at how many prefer the sound of old Sho-Buds, P/P's, etc. Some subtle differences - split tuning, solid stops, etc can all contribute to the sound quality by being more in tune, creating new options for changes, etc.

I wonder if we are about to see the next step up, though? It seems to me a few companies the past 15 years, like MSA and Excel, have been trying new ideas, but nothing too radical. But now we have Ross Shafer, I see some really interesting ideas that diverge from the standards of the past 15 years in the instruments he is building. Will they be a footnote in pedal steel guitar history, or the next step up, is yet to be determined.

I would love to hear some A/B recording tests of the new Sierras against other steels, using the same equipment after the guitar.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 May 2018 9:40 am    

It's fine to look for ways to improve what we already have. Instruments are more stable and reliable than ever, with only marginal improvements in the last couple of decades. However, the real challenge, IMHO, is just learning to tune and play the thing.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2018 4:40 pm    

I hope that PSG stays out of the electronic era and stays basically the way it has been, traditional. My Super Pro is over 40 years old and their is nothing I would do to alter it in any way.

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2018 8:59 am    

I believe we hit the top in 1964. Emmons got it right the first time.

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 31 May 2018 8:14 am    

I have to agree with Mr.Hinson. Learn to play the instrument. Forget Licks, play the melody.quit trying for three string grips until you master the two.the best advice I ever gave a newbie was, unplug the volume pedal and learn to play the guitar.I am happy to say he is a fine picker today.never quit learning. Always play within yourself when on stage.save the practice for at home. Is equipment important ?,you bet it is but, your ability to play it is far more important.

Leo Grassl

Madison TN
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 9:47 am    

The "top" is unreachable. There can always be improvements made in any direction. To me personally some of the popular newer guitars being made are mechanically better then other brands but their tone is flat and boring to me. On the other hand some other newer brands sound incredible to my ears but are not as positive or adjustable for travel and smooth/ stiff pedal action as others.

I truly hope that builders continue to try new ways of improving the instrument and also continue to seek out why it is that older designs produced their unique characteristics. I also hope that many new builders will be up and coming and will broaden the choices we as players have in choosing what suits us best which is entirely subjective.