The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beginner psg
Mark Johnson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 3:41 pm    

Hi all
I’ve been learning c6 lap steel for about a year now and want to move to psg at some time. My thoughts are,
Buy a double neck console, so I can continue c6 and start to learn e9 on one instrument or
By a single neck e9 psg and learn that separately.
Any thoughts or recommendations?
I appreciate any input
Thanks
Mark

Leo Grassl

Madison TN
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 5:09 pm    

If you want to learn pedal steel there is no sense in buying another non pedal steel. Get a single neck E9 guitar with 3 pedals and 4 knee levers to start with.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 8:04 pm     Beginner psg

Another thing you may want to consider is a 12 Universal. You would have E9th tuning.If you get one with the lock lever on the D knee lever, Lowers strings 4-8 (D knee Lever)to get B6 tuning. All the C6 you know would be one fret down with 4 floor pedals to add to the 6th tuning.

This would make for a smaller lighter guitar if you get to moving it out playing. Good Luck in your choice of a guitar and Happy Steelin.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 11:18 am     Getting started...U12?

You might find this thread interesting:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=328011&highlight=

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 2:52 pm    

In February of this year I bought a D-10 Carter so I could keep playing C6 while learning E9. I'd been playing C6 lap for several years, was in a band (still am) and wanted C6 for security & such.

I should have gone straight to the E9, single with pad.

You can't learn E9 by playing C6. And E9 gives you vastly more voicings on any chord. Learn just your A&B pedals and you can do more with E9 than you ever dreamed possible on lap steel.

Add in B&C pedals for more choices on minor chords and it's like somebody gave you the universe.

If you want to play C6, play your lap.

One man's opinion. Free, comes with a money-back guarantee.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 6:07 pm    

I’ll second Jeffrey’s comment.

You want to start playing music on a new instrument, not trying to figure out how to make every tuning change in the known universe to it. 10 strings, 3 pedals, 4 knee levers - intimidating enough at first, but manageable and fun in a fairly short time. I’ve been playing my S10 for 18 months now and can finally start playing what I hear in my head. It is nowhere near being automatic yet, but I can see the day.

Uni players have said in other threads on the topic that U12 is like having C6 and E9 together. All due respect... As if that isn’t confusing enough for a beginner, it’s actually B6 and E9. And the low register of the E9 is not the same on a Uni; it’s missing the D string. Yeah yeah...you get the D with a knee on the B. But there goes your B, right? E9 teaching materials will not cover things like that. If I was going to learn Uni, I would get Uni specific materials.

Sorry for the rant. I am an older novice answering a beginner’s question, and the memory of just starting out all thumbs and big feet is still very fresh. Advanced players get excited about having as many tuning changes as possible, and I understand that. But there is so much else to be learned just to play simple stuff, it really does seem like rocket science meets acrobatics sometimes, even on a modest S10. If someone had convinced me to start on a Uni, I probably would have sold it by now.

There, I’m done now. Cool

Justin Schack

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2018 4:59 am    

I'm far from an expert, but I'd respond by asking you some questions. For starters, what type of music do you want to play, and in what context (with a band, recording, just messing around, etc.)? From what I understand C6 is used more for western swing music, while E9 is more adaptable for country, alt-country/americana, folk, rock, etc. So figuring that out might help you make the right decision.

I have taken a journey similar to the one you're on. A longtime 6-string guitar player, I started messing with C6 lap steel because it seemed the most-common tuning for that instrument (and it was easier and cheaper to buy a used lap steel than taking the plunge to PSG right away). Used it a bit for recording my own stuff and with my band (Americana-ish stuff) but kept hearing the call of the "real thing" (no offense to lap steel intended) and recently bought a single-neck E9 PSG. For what I'm after, E9 is the sound. You have four different major-chord grips at every "fret" and, with the right pedal/lever combinations, an easy way to play chords I through VI without moving the bar horizontally. I'm literally only a couple of weeks into the journey, and I have far less time to spend on learning and practicing than I'd like. But I'm convinced I made the right move. I did spend a bit of time before buying the PSG using an E9 tuning on my lap steel, and that helped with getting used to two of the three major-chord grips on an E9 PSG (thank you to the Forum members who advised me to do that!).

I bought a StageOne from Doug Earnest. The guitar is great, and was affordable relative to a lot of the other options I'd considered. And Doug was great, patiently answering all my ignorant questions.

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 17 May 2018 5:52 am    

you can't go wrong with the stage one from doug ernest. they play and sound just great (especially from a beginner) and you'll have the confidence in the mechanics to start learning right away. if you feel like you'd like to upgrade, you can usually sell the stage one for what you paid for it.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 May 2018 7:36 am    

My 2 cents.

If I were you, and could afford it,and carry it, I would get a D10. You already play C6. Why not have it available to you even while you are learning E9. On a gig you could still play what you are playing now in your band using the C6 neck as your "lap steel". There is no law saying you have to use the pedals, although you probably will eventually.

At the same time, you can learn the E9, and eventually be adding it to your band.

Learning both necks at the same time is not impossible. Thousands of us have done it.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 17 May 2018 8:33 am    

If you are already learning to play C6 non-pedal steel guitar and are learning your slants, you will have some "AHA!" moments if you switch to C6 pedal steel guitar. The pedals and knee-levers do away with the necessity of many of the basic slants. It's easy to see why the basic pedals evolved the way they did.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2018 10:37 am    

You could buy a Uni and set it up as an S10 C6.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2018 10:44 am    

With the standard E lower lever engaged on E9th, you have all of the notes from your C6th lap steel at the first fret:

1 G
2 E
3 A

4 E
5 C
6 A
7 G
8 E

9 D#
10 C

All you have to do is adjust your brain to play your C6th parts on those strings, 1 fret higher.