The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New to Steel Guitars, Need help Identifying Instrument
Patrick Sheridan

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 11:56 am    

Hey all, just got into lap steel and acquired this triple neck Fender. Would love to know some info about it and how much it would be worth. its all original as far as I know.
The Serial # is 60324. Pictures are below

Appreciate any help or comments

- Thanks

[/quote]

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 12:12 pm    

Errr...not worth much at all, you should send it to me for proper disposal!! Shocked Very Happy

Mid-50s Stringmaster maybe? Serial won't tell you much but if you carefully remove one of the tuner pans (it was the front one on mine) there'll often be a date.

I'm guessing those switches aren't original, they were originally push-button. Missing the bridge covers (not a big deal). It's a pretty guitar! Mine is the "brunette" version, walnut finish, medium 24.5" scale with a tele style blade switch which came later (mine was built in '57).

EDIT: looks like the short-scale (22.5") version, too. If you didn't know, those pots on the bridge are a pickup blend knob, you essentially have the bridge pickup on all the time and add in the "neck" pickup in series with that pot for hum-cancelling and a thicker, fuller sound. I play Hawaiian and basically have it full on all the time.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 2:01 pm     Nic's right

Yup--that's an early-mid 50's short scale Stringmaster. And, he's also right that the switches have been changed. Someone did some real work to this..

Where did you pick it up? How much it's worth is tricky because: 1) it's no longer "all original" ; 2) Depends on how well those switches work; 3) Depends on how well the guitar works, including output, on all 6 pickups, function of each of the blend wheels, etc.

Looks to be in decent shape. My guess on value is $750-$1,250 if everything's working. But that's just me.

Here's my shortscale T8 (22.5). It's a 1958, all original, and in near-perfect shape. I paid $2,000, including a custom Hutton case:

Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Last edited by Mark Helm on 16 May 2018 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 4:53 pm     Re: Nic's right

Mark Helm wrote:
Yup--that's an early-mid 50's short scale (24.5") Stringmaster.

Yes, it's a short scale but that's 22.5", not 24.5" - but you knew that, Mark. Smile I'd put the value more in the $1000 - $1400 range. Two triples that I know of have sold on ebay recently: one was missing a tuner pan and sold for $1000, the other was somewhat beat up but complete and sold for $1200. Unfortunately, both were purchased by the guy that parts them out so there's two less triple Stringmasters out there now. Enjoy yours. Stringmasters are more player guitars than collector guitars so I don't think the replacement switches are that big of a deal even if it does decrease the value a bit.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 5:51 pm    

10 or 12 years ago those T-8’s sold for more than they do now. I think players today want smaller and lighter... guitars and amps. Could be because we’re all getting older...?

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 6:55 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
10 or 12 years ago those T-8’s sold for more than they do now. I think players today want smaller and lighter... guitars and amps. Could be because we’re all getting older...?

Speak for yourself old man! And,yeah--I knew it...guess my old eyes (Doh!) are getting lazy.

But these Stringmasters are among the finest non-pedal steels around. Reliable as heck and sound good all day long!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 7:36 pm    

Quote:
these Stringmasters are among the finest non-pedal steels around. Reliable as heck and sound good all day long!

I know, I've owned over 20 of them, doubles, triples, and quads. I'm just saying... triple necks are not selling for as much as they did a dozen years ago.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2018 11:13 pm    

[quote="Doug Beaumier"]
Quote:
these Stringmasters are among the finest non-pedal steels around. Reliable as heck and sound good all day long!

WOW--what did they used to go for?

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 17 May 2018 4:07 am    

I sold a nice T-8 Stringmaster for $2K about about 10 years ago. And I paid $1900 for a D-8 around that time. Those prices seem high in today's world.