The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Do u wish u could have your push pull back?
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 7:09 am    

How many push pulls do u wish u had kept. An how many tried them An was dissatisfied with the way they played or sounded. I had two 12 strings for a year that just didn’t trip my trigger.

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 7:31 am    

"Never sell your Emmons."

Someday you will want to come back home.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 7:37 am    

Sometimes I do, yes. This basketweave D10 was the first professional guitar I owned. I was so green, I guess I didn't draw the potential from it and like a lot of newbies, uneducated and always looking for a better sound.

The first thing I noticed when I got my first all pull guitar was how much easier it played over the P/P.

If I had known then what I know now, I might have made a better connection with it. So now, I don't know if it's just nostalgia or all the push pull hype that makes me sad it's gone.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 9:47 am    

Count me in… In 1976 I bought a new Loafer. Green laq, wood neck, bolt on, castle wall inlay. Very cool steel.
I was used to playing a Sho-Bud, and had no clue that the changer was any different than a Bud’s until I went to tune it up. Big surprise. Then I went and tried to swap some levers around without knowing what I was doing. Big mistake.
I returned it pretty quick and stuck with my Bud. But now, having played a p/p for a bunch of years I’ve come to realize that I let a real gem of a guitar go. My bad.

Jerry... the basketweave! I feel your pain.

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 10:20 am    

Yes I regret selling my loafer!

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 11:20 am    

Not really. I moved on to S-12 Excels and haven't looked back. They do sound fantastic though, nothing sounds like a PP.

If I ever see a RW D-10 with black wood necks, I might have to get it for old time's sake.

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 11:31 am    

No on wanting my old push-pull back. It served it's purpose for the decade or so that I owned it. It was a tool and in my view, there are much better tools being made today. Yes, it will always have a place in steel guitar history.

Robert

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 12:42 pm     Do you wish you could have your p l a k?

I picked up a new black Emmons D-10 at the factory in 1968. It was for Weldon Myrick. I convinced Ron Lashley to let me have it and to finish up another one for Weldon. Bought a Twin with JBL's. It was my first guitar, so I had nothing to compare to, but I thought it sounded awesome. Went to Jeff's school in Nashvil!e and Bruce Bouton was there and wanted to buy it.

I played on Jeff's U-12 Kline and loved it. Bought a Kline and after a couple months, I sold the Emmons. Never regretted one thing at the time, but I was a green horn and there was no forum or other steelers to talk to. I think the guy that bought it had the last name Poor and was from the Knoxville area. Wonder where that guitar is at today. It only had 2 knee levers,which was pretty standard at the time.I homemade a 3rd. Would !like to have that guitar back, for sure.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 1:57 pm    

I enjoyed mine all the years I had it; but, I really don't regret selling it.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 3:20 pm    

Loved Emmons
No problem selling for modern MSA!

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2018 9:40 am    

I just bought my first P/P D10 back. A black '76 that was Tommy White's (and Jim Cohen's) once, used on the "Hot Licks And Cool Tricks" video. Tommy told me it was Ron Lashley's personal guitar and was in his office until Tommy convinced him to sell it to him. I have a '72 fatback now that I really like, so I'll probably end up putting something like a standard Emmons set up on it along with the original dual tap single coils and letting it go again.

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 9 May 2018 9:56 am    

Yes.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 9 May 2018 10:27 am    

My first pro-quality steel was an early 70's Emmons S10, fatback with 6p/2k. I sold it and my first steel, a Gibson Electraharp to finance a Sierra S14. Since then, I've owned two other Emmons p/p's: An early 80's S12, and the only guitar I now own; a 1977 D10.

While I really dig the tone of my D10 (I renew my love for her each and every time I sit down to play her), there was something special about the tone of that first Emmons played through the amp I had at that time - a Peavey Artist 240 with the discrete circuitry (no op amps) and a 12" Black Widow. I would buy back that S10 in a heart beat, but alas, I don't know who owns it, or if he/she would even consider selling it.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Pat Heller

Missouri, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 May 2018 12:56 pm    

Although I've owned at least 8 P.P.'s back in the day, and they were my pride and joy at the time, I don't miss them today. They were the Top Dog and still have the tone, but I'm perfectly happy with the tone of my Zum's-LG 11's and G2 with much better mechanics.
I would like to have back the 40 to 50 P.P's that I sold at Scotty's and my store for $1200 to $1800. back in the 70's and 80's.
I still have my 1st 1967 Emmons that will stay with me till I'm gone but rarely play it. I just open the case once in awhile and smile. PH

Dale Hampton

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2018 3:08 pm     67 P/p

PM sent

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2018 4:53 pm    

Dale your PM didn’t make it.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 10 May 2018 6:04 pm    

I'm an Emmons addict and have been since 1973. I sold a '71 woodie D-10 and regretted it almost instantly. Luckily, I found an identical one at Jim Palenscar's shop in 2008. My current stable includes 2 P/Ps and an LG II....all D-10s.

Dale Hampton

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2018 6:11 am     Pm

Johnie, I'm sorry, I meant to tell Pat that I sent him a PM. I'd like to say that I love playing my two P/P's Dale

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 8:53 am    

I sold my bolt-on decal logo D-10 around 10 years ago & wish I still had it. It played nicely, stayed in perfect tune, and the tone was to die for. Only steel I would buy back over that one was my MSA Classic D-10 I sold a few years ago.