The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best battery-powered amplifier for lap steel?
Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 6 May 2018 7:05 pm    

I would like to have the sound of a Princeton Reverb in a battery-powered amplifier---say about the same power----12 to 15 watts, 10" speaker, 3-4 hours playing time, blackface Fender sound, with reverb---for lap steel use. What's the best available?

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2018 8:12 pm    

Take a look at the Roland Amps if you haven't already. They have some very nice Battery Powered Designs with good Battery Life, typically fifteen hours on eight 'AA' Cells. I have an AC-33 with two 15 Watt channels which is designed for Acoustic Instruments. I have had it for a couple of years now. I really like it. I do not play out very much, but when I do that's usually my First Choice Amp. For my needs Flattops, Weissenstyles and Tricones are some of the Instruments that sound good with it. For use with a Lap Steel or Electric Guitar, I think that I would look at the one of the Street Cubes or Mobile Cubes first.

Also, you might want to keep in mind that the Princeton is a Tube Amp and you are not likely to find a Battery Powered Tube Amp. If there is one, I sure hope someone will post here about it.

HTH. Good Luck in your Search! Cool

Dave Sky

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2018 6:49 pm    

I use the Roland Street EX @ $500. 25 watt, 8 AA batteries,4 channel, two 8 inch woofers, two tweeters, setting for electric guitar. I have 8 battery powered amps and this thing will fill a large area. If you want cheap get the Monoprice battery powered amp. I have a review on that amp in this section.