The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Charleton
Brian Gattis

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2018 10:06 am    

I know Buddy Charleton is well respected in the steel guitar world, but it seems to me that he is underrated! His work in the 60s with ET is incredible. Some of the most soulful fills and solos ever. I sure wish I could’ve seen him play. Any other Charleton fans here? I would love to hear some stories.

Brian G

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2018 10:45 am    

Seen him a few times at Ponderosa Park and the Denison Theater in Ohio with ET and even once with Billy Byrd filling in later years. Charlton's sound was much more dramatic in person than on record as was Curly Chalker and Jim Murphy's. These were the days when the average PA system was a Shure Vocal Master and amps were not miked. The band dynamics were huge with the steel solos standing out more and sounding fuller. The bass and drums didn't overwhelm everything and the big name artists let their bands open the show and share the lime light. Even got a glimpse of Buddy on guitar and Leon Rhodes on steel backstage just horsing around. ET's bus was always loaded with food and fan's fried chicken.

Everyone, even Buddy, were blown away with certain other pickers. Tommy Cash opened one of ET's shows at Ponderosa. Tommy's 6 string guitar player played pedal steel licks including chromatic sounds that could not be distinguished from a pedal steel. I'm not talking about a few pedal steel sounds or some simple string pulls. It was a full blown E9th repertoire! Charlton was peering out of the back stage curtain for the whole show, obviously blown away by the sounds this guy was making. He actually was a world class steel player on 6 string guitar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 6 May 2018 1:24 pm    

Couldn't agree more, he was underrated. I saw him a few times when ET would come to the Mustang Club in San Leandro, CA in the early '70s. This was right after Leon Rhodes left the band, unfortunately, but it was still a jaw-dropping experience. A few of us fledgling steelers would camp out right in front of Buddy, and get taken to school. He'd also answer our questions if we got there early enough. Great on both necks and played so musically and soulfully, a wonderful player.

Joe

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2018 4:04 pm    

For the most part the late Craig Baker was a huge BC fan. He more than once commented during our frequent phone visits how Buddy could get more, out of a less than an average pedal set up. Most of Buddy's E9th was a very simple pedal setup but he knew how to pull more off that neck than most players at that time. I had the pleasure of watching him many times at Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa, behind the Sho-Bud's and then later the p/p Emmons he played. No effects just a volume pedal, single coil pup's and amp. Boy I sure miss him and am thankful for YouTube video's of him.

Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2018 7:50 pm    

In many ways, BC is my favorite, especially his fills in ET's ballads and duets with Loretta. The one song that immediately comes to mind is their duet "Yearning". BC was a creative genius with melody and played with unbridled emotion. His close on that song still sends chills.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2018 12:22 am    

Those YouTube vids of him and Leon on the Tubb Show were a big part of the push for me to finally get a steel and commit to learn it. I've been trying to use a dumbed down version of Cool It as a right hand exercise. I think my favorite are the two versions (1966 & the Tubb Show) of Thanks A Lot. His fills in that song are some of the most creative I've found anywhere. He is definitely in my top 4 favorite steel players.

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 7 May 2018 5:23 am    

His influence as a teacher is notable as well. The time I spent with him was invaluable. He taught a lot of fellows who went on to become legends themselves (Bruce Bouton, Pete Finney, Tommy Hannum, Bucky Baxter, etc.)

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

GeneRector

Normangee, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2018 6:31 am    

Smile Howdy! Buddy was a real inspiration for many including me. With Leon and ET some great songs were made, including my all time favorite, "Waltz Across Texas".
Always,
Gene

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2018 7:43 am    

I saw him in person with ET and when he played the C6th neck he just danced on the pedals with both feet!
Very Happy

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2018 8:16 am    

Tommy Detamore wrote:
His influence as a teacher is notable as well. The time I spent with him was invaluable. He taught a lot of fellows who went on to become legends themselves (Bruce Bouton, Pete Finney, Tommy Hannum, Bucky Baxter, etc.)

Buddy even taught a few who were already legends. I walked out of a lesson at Oxen Hill Music one day that there was my dobro hero Mike Auldridge sitting there waiting for a lesson!!

I sure wish I had been able to get down to Hunter's Lodge more than the handful of times I made it there in the late 70's early 80's!

Brian Gattis

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2018 8:44 am    

Thanks for all the responses and great stories! I wish I could’ve seen him play, and got a lesson or two!! They dont make em like BC anymore!

Brian G

Bob Ricker

Nashville Tn
Post  Posted 7 May 2018 10:22 am    

I took lessons from Buddy. I remember he had a squirrel in his house and once in a while he would attach to your leg. Buddy was a great player and a great friend as well.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2018 2:02 pm    

Patsy Cline turned Ernest on to Buddy just before she got famous- they were both from Virginia. I don't know how old he was then but, he was proficient to say the least on E9 & C6. He balked at playing Steel Guitar Rag when he joined, as it was way too easy for him, until Leon told him they could jazz it up - what a pair they were!

Dave Grothusen

Scott City, Ks
Post  Posted 7 May 2018 2:58 pm    

I have a cool story about Buddy. Back in about 03 I was in Nashville and went to see Smiley Robert's band. He had a fiddler by the name of Jimmy Unger playing with him. Jimmy is no longer with us unfortunately. He was a great picker and a very nice man.
Jimmy told me that when he first started playing he was hired to do a gig in Washington DC. Turns out Buddy was the steel player. After the gig was over, about 2AM, Buddy told him "I don't play fiddle but I am going to teach you how to play one". They sat there till 6AM and Buddy gave Jimmy invaluable information about how to play with a band.

Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2018 6:10 pm    

Billy Cooper's Music sells a great course " Buddy Charleton 50 Intros/Turnarounds "

Brian Gattis

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 1:08 pm    

Joseph Napolitano wrote:
Billy Cooper's Music sells a great course " Buddy Charleton 50 Intros/Turnarounds "

I just ordered it. Thanks for the heads up

Joel Martin

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 1:45 pm    

I love his work with ET. He had sucha swagger!

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 2:08 pm    

loving this thread. thanks

Buddy C was a singular talent. such excitement and even recklessness in his playing, but such mastery.

I recently learned Almost To Tulsa, including Buddy's solo which is something I never thought I'd be able to play. always wanted to get a lesson from him, but I misssed the boat on that one

I think Buddy said he conceived the song in his head, while driving Tubb's bus... inspired by spinning the radio dial as they drove through the night.

it's one of the all-time GREAT instrumentals and it could only come from one person: BUDDY C!

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 5:15 pm    

My favorite Charlton recording. Not just the solo but the backup parts too. One of the first recordings he did with ET. Jimmy Day was in the studio for this recording and gave Buddy the thumbs up after this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53mHUgJoeWc

The original LP's and 45's were much better as the Bear set remixes of these songs have Charlton's steel mixed WAY DOWN from the originals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

GeneRector

Normangee, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 5:42 pm    

Smile Howdy! Greg: That's a good one!
Always,
Gene

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2018 6:09 am    

Wonder where any of his guitars Sho-Bud, Emmons ended up?

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 9 May 2018 6:30 am    

Quote:
The original LP's and 45's were much better as the Bear set remixes of these songs have Charlton's steel mixed WAY DOWN from the originals.

Why would they take it on themselves to do this? Wouldn't they need permission from someone? Confused

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 9 May 2018 6:42 am    

Barry, I think Bear Family buys the tapes for a certain amount (and they can do whatever they want with them). At least that's what I've heard.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2018 7:31 am    

My understanding is that Bear could not directly use the final mastered recordings. They bought the session tapes and mastered them as close to the originals as they could. I have both the Bear set and the originals and the steel parts on the originals are much more out front. Thankfully the above song I posted sounds like the original 45 rpm recording and the steel is totally out front.

Brian Gattis

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2018 8:43 am    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
My understanding is that Bear could not directly use the final mastered recordings. They bought the session tapes and mastered them as close to the originals as they could. I have both the Bear set and the originals and the steel parts on the originals are much more out front. Thankfully the above song I posted sounds like the original 45 rpm recording and the steel is totally out front.

I have all the ET Bear Family sets, and I know what you’re saying. Sometimes the steel is right out front other times you can barely hear it. I’m not sure why the would do that.

Brian G