The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Match Box Problem
George Brown

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2018 2:13 pm    

I've got a Model 4-A Goodrich Matchbox, that I've used for Several Years, and it had performed Flawlessly until last weekend....I started getting a sound, like a Cable shorting out, then it just went out..... I Narrowed it down to my Match Box, took it out of the mix, and All was good.....Batteries Good, Cant find a loose wire, or a short....Anyone know who can repair it,,, or, Maybe it's time to Trade it in for an Upgraded Model ...... Any Info will be Greatly Appreciated !!!!!!
George Brown

Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 3 May 2018 5:18 pm    

I once had a Match Box that shorted the output jack tip to the battery clip when the plug was inserted.

Try slowly Inserting your output plug into the output jack till it just makes contact. If you hear audio out, then this may be your problem. You can take the cover off to observe.

Can't remember for sure but my problem showed up after a battery change or maybe using a cord plug with a slightly different geometry.

Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2018 6:26 pm     Check the pots

I got a 7a a few years ago with a bad potentiometer, I replaced the pots and it's been working like a champ since

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 May 2018 1:57 am    

A bad or dirty jack could cause the problem.

Spray contact cleaner on both jacks and see if that helps.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 4 May 2018 4:21 am    

It probably has one of those jacks that has a set of contact points that turns the unit on when you insert the plug. Maybe those points are dirty or corroded. Probably on the input jack.

Peter Harris

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 5 May 2018 3:28 am    

Danny Letz wrote:
It probably has one of those jacks that has a set of contact points that turns the unit on when you insert the plug. Maybe those points are dirty or corroded. Probably on the input jack.

...that would be exactly where I would start looking...

George Brown

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2018 5:13 am    

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for the Advice, and Suggestions. Last Night, I tore that Sucker Down,, Sprayed, Cleaned, and Spit Shined the Insides,Jacks, Connections, Pots, and Anything else that looked like it could touch a metal part...I also gave it a New set of Batteries, although the ones in it showed As New, on the tester..I plugged it up in my Music Room, and it sounded Just Like New,, No Noise at All... I've got a Gig tonight, so That will be the Final Test.....

Again, Many Thanks for he Help !!!!!!!!!

George

George Brown

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2018 3:04 pm    

Played One Gig, and it Did Great,,, Then last Saturday Night, it Messed up again.....Took it out, and All was Fine..... I Plan to Either Trade it, of Buy a Model 7-A..... Anyone got one in Excellent Condition That you Want to Part With ??????????