The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Delay affects recommendation
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2018 1:15 pm    

What' are you using lately?
I have an ancient Quadraverb GT that has served me well for many years. It's time for an update.
I've always been impressed with the sound of the Yamaha or Lexicon offerings.
I tend to like programmable presets. However, I'd like knobs to control the dry/affects mix.
Any recommendations, pedal or rack?

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 1 May 2018 4:19 pm    

The Yamaha E1010 is a great rack delay. In fact, Ken from Soundtoys said they modeled some of Echoboy after it.

I've been using the SIB echo drive lately. It's enormous but sounds great. The delays are digital but it has a tube pre built in.

Also been using the Empress Reverb which has great delay/reverb sounds built in and the option to have 35 presets. The pedal is smaller than it looks too.

The thing I've noticed with different delays is that I end up using them differently depending on how they sound. For instance, when I use the fulltone tube tape echo for slapback (especially with guitar) it just sounds so good and authentic that I can get away with more than if I were using a pedal. Translates to a different sound and maybe playing a little differently on some songs. Same thing with the SIB delay. The way the long repeats blend into one another is really clean but with the right amount of high end rolloff. I can get away with more of that than with other pedals so I might just turn the reverb off with a setting like that.

ps Hi Jim!
pps I have a lot of other delays at home too if you feel like trying some stuff out.

Last edited by Brett Lanier on 1 May 2018 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2018 4:25 pm    

Tap tempo is a great feature.
I have a rack Lexicon, a Mooer echo verb and Dispatch Master

Kyle Everson

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 May 2018 3:31 pm    

TC Electronic rack gear is great. The M350 is probably my favorite, and can be had very reasonably priced; $150ish.

The TC Electronic NOVA pedals are great, but they don't hold up as good as the rack units unfortunately. I have a NOVA system that's been great though.

I've had good luck with Strymon products. The Brigadier is like a suped-up analog Ibanez/Maxon AD-9. Has tap tempo and many other neat functions.
They also make one called the DIG, which is a dual-delay. That's something a lot of people seem to be using nowadays. It's good for background ethereal stuff, or as just a single delay.

These are in the $300ish range. There are cheaper options like the Flashbsck from TC, but the tap tempo is set by strumming the tempo. Tough to do if you have a quick intro.
You can't go wrong with a Boss DD3; no tap that I'm aware of.