The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DV Mark 50 watt amp- gig report
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2018 7:31 pm    

Quote:
Looking at the specs for the DV Mark Little Jazz, it lists Power:50WRMS@8ohm/60WRMS@4ohm, but it also lists output for external cab as 8 ohm minimum load. Just wondering if that means it can or cannot be used with a 4 ohm external speaker?

If you look at the manual, you'll see that the internal speaker is 8 Ohms and the external speaker out is for a second 8 Ohm speaker. So when the second 8 Ohm speaker is added, they are connected in parallel to give a combined nominal impedance of 4 Ohms, which is the standard minimum impedance for all of these 50/60 watt amps. They're 50 watts at 8 Ohms, 60 watts at 4 Ohms.

So you shoud NOT use a 4 Ohm external speaker. That would give you a combined nominal impedance of 2-2/3 Ohms, which could cause your power section to overheat.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2018 6:32 am    

When I plug my 12" EVM (closed back cab) into the Little Jazz, it sounds spectacular. Sort of like biamping because the two speakers have such different frequency responses. Also, it's considerably louder with the second speaker added.

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2018 9:28 am    

Dave is correct. I don't use external cabs so I ordered a 4 ohm SICA to go with my DV Mark Micro 50 Jazz head so I get full benefit of the power, Great little amps, though - I would have bought the Little Jazz but it would have left me with a pile of speaker cabinets gathering dust. Now I can just mix and match. I have a 15/8, 12/8, 10/4, and the 12/4 - best of all worlds. Had an 8/8 but it was a little 'boxy' sounding and got sold.

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2018 2:31 pm    

Thanks for the clarification Dave. Just wasn't sure what to make of the specs the way they were listed on their website.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2018 1:34 am    

While the head I have is the 50 watt Micro II, when I use it , it is with either a single 12/8 ohm or TWO single 12/8 ohm cabs making the total 4 ohms.

I do believe that speaker choice, like any amp, plays well with these amps.

DV specs these amps with a min of 4 ohms.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Tom Dillon

La Mesa, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 6:58 am    

How are you guys liking these amps after using them for a few months? Any problems? Liking the reverb?

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 7:39 am    

Tom Dillon wrote:
How are you guys liking these amps after using them for a few months? Any problems? Liking the reverb?
-

No issues for me, while I don't use it 100% of the time, ( still like the 40/50 Watt tube amps) It is my #1 backup and comes to every gig. All of my gigs are double duty and I'm more anal with the guitar tones than I am with the Steel tones. The Push Pull is very consistent with all of the solid state amps. The Telecasters, perhaps not as much.

Its still a great little amp and cuts the small to medium gigs no issues. Regarding the reverb, I'm not as anal as others may be, I'm ok with it, I've heard worse !

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 4:31 pm    

Tony , can you use this amp with a single 4 ohm speaker?

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 6:04 pm    

You can use these amps with any 4 Ohm load.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 6:07 pm    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
You can use these amps with any 4 Ohm load.

I guess my question should be , there are two outputs on the rear. Would it be ok to only use one output to one speaker?

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 6:42 pm    

Yes, you can just plug a single 4 Ohm load into one of the speaker outs. Obviously, use a speaker cable.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 12:33 am    

what Dave said ! Laughing

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 10:23 am    

thanks , wasnt sure if using only one speaker would cause damage to the other output without a load.

Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2018 5:22 pm     Reverb

How's the reverb on these? Does anyone use and like the on board reverb, or are you using pedals?

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2018 6:58 pm     DV Mark 50 gig report

I was notified a couple months ago by MF that they now have the 250 watt version in stock if anybody is interested.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2018 7:04 pm    

You guys have sold me on this amp. I ordered the Micro II.
For now Ill just plug it into the BW on my NV112. Like Tony said it will be a great backup amp to have.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2018 7:07 pm    

I have a DV Micro 50 available for sale (as I've bumped up to the 250W version). Has the low-Z output to go direct to PA or recording console. Only used twice. Totally mint.

Hit me up if interested in saving some dough.

George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2019 4:28 pm     DV Mark 50 ll

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I just got my Mark 50 ll last week as it has been sitting at a friends house in California for a couple of months. I'm really impressed with the amp. I like the tone better than my MB200, and it seams to be just as loud. [into a Huff cab with an Eminence EPS-15]] The reverb is OK but not as good as a Wet reverb or other good pedals. Got this one from MF for $219.00. [It was an "open box" in mint condition]. I'll just be using the clean channel for pedal steel, so I can't comment on the overdrive channel. If anybody is on the fence about buying one of these, you won't be disappointed. Jim Cohen has one for sale at a great price if it is still available.

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2019 2:37 am    

Some thoughts on my experience with DV Mark products- I have the Micro 50 and the Little Jazz. I would have assumed that they were basically the same amp, with the Little Jazz (or jazz head) just lacking the overdrive section. That’s basically true, although they are voiced quite differently. Alternating each amp through the same 12” speaker, and the tone controls at 12:00, the Micro 50 is rather “Fenderish”, that is to say, a little scooped with a big low end, where the Jazz is more neutral, flatter mids, and not so much bass. It’s hard to say which I prefer, but they are different. Some may find the Micro 50 almost a little too bassy for some speaker cabinets. I also just picked up a DV “Neoclassic 112 Small” open back 12” speaker cabinet, which I really like. It has their own neodymium magnet speaker. It’s a well made, very light cabinet, 18 lbs. It’s not even broken in yet, and it sounds terrific. Loud and bright, but not harsh or “ice picky”, nice low end, but not too bassy.

You might want to check out their combo amps. The Jazz 12 would be the jazz head with the neo 12” speaker, and the “DVC Guitar Friend 12 ” would be the Micro 50 with the neo speaker. Both very lightweight amps. There is also a DVC Guitar Friend 12 II, which I assume is the Micro 50 II as a combo. Overall, I’m very pleased with the DV mark stuff I have. I wish their amp graphics were a little less cartoonish, but oh, well.

I want to add that these amps are good if you double on guitar and steel. You can plug an external preamp into the 1/8" line in in front, and have it simultaneous with the guitar input. The line in bypasses the eq section, so you can leave that set for guitar (or steel, if that's the configuration you choose). Both inputs are controlled by the same volume control, though. I use it with a Zoom MS-50G mounted on the leg of my steel, and plugged into the line in, and use the DV preamp for guitar. You could do it the other way around, of course.

Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2019 3:31 am    

Looks like there are a few different DB Mark 50watts out there. Which one do you guys recommend?

Thanks
Craig
Telonics Amp, Stereo Steel, Fender Vibrasonic & many Telecasters (You can't have too many)