The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DV Mark 50 watt amp- gig report
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 9:30 pm    

I just ordered a DV Mark Little Jazz from Jet.com. With all the positive buzz here, I couldn't resist. Sweetwater doesn't carry DV Mark amps, but the Mrs. buys a lot of stuff at Jet.com so we trust them. I'm not a big fan of Guitar Center.

It should be here by next Friday. Mr. Green

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2018 6:31 am    

Good Luck with it b0b.......Jim

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 11:10 pm    

B0b, please let us know what your thoughts are regarding the Little Jazz.

Regarding GC, I doubt many of us are FANS so to speak, the return policy is what pushes me in their direction. Used or new items. Buy on line, return locally.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 11:35 pm    

Tony Prior wrote:

Yes,and a sound clip too please ! 😉
Thanks !

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 12:40 am    

here are some clips

Recorded direct to the DAW interface , no preamp, the EQ and reverb only from the DV Micro 50, headphones out. Nothing in the DAW bin.

It's basically all the same phrase, the early ones are messing with the lo end, then the mids then the last is what I feel is MY preference.

Recording thru a speaker is subjective, we all use different speakers, cabs etc The point here is showing what the AMP ALONE can do. It has exceptional flexibility across the entire EQ spectrum, heavy mids are easily dialed out.

reverb is acceptable.

http://www.tprior.com/dv1.mp3

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 1:06 am    

Thank you Tony,this is exactly what I wanted to hear !
Very impressive indeed ! Sounds pretty warm and “tubey” for
a solid state amp.Your test is very convincing.Thank you again !

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 3:24 am    

This example is very clean and clear......If nothing else, this amp serves very well as a great recording setup !!...... Thanks for posting this....A clip is worth a thousand words !!.....Jim

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 5:18 am    

John Sluszny wrote:
Thank you Tony,this is exactly what I wanted to hear !
Very impressive indeed ! Sounds pretty warm and “tubey” for
a solid state amp.Your test is very convincing.Thank you again !

Thx John and James , glad it helped, sorry for the delay, it just took me some time to get to it.

I'm not saying these amps are the ultimate solution but dang, they are pretty darn good ! Personally I am impressed with how much bottom end, add or subtract and MID range, add or subtract can be dialed in. Obviously all users are not the same but the flexibility is there.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 7:06 am    

Last night was my first chance to use the DV Mark 50 amp in a gig setting and I was very happy with it. I'm not sure who took this video but it was posted to Facebook last night. Not sure if everyone can access it or not but here's a link you can try if you want to hear how the DV Mark 50 sounded in this setting:

https://www.facebook.com/1145186494/videos/10212156489324534/?t=0

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 7:36 am    

Jim, what speaker are you using? And is that the DV Mark's reverb? Great tone!

Tony Prior wrote:

Regarding GC, I doubt many of us are FANS so to speak, the return policy is what pushes me in their direction. Used or new items. Buy on line, return locally.

There are no Guitar Center stores anywhere near me. The closest one is 85 miles away, in San Francisco.

Last edited by b0b on 11 Jul 2018 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 7:39 am    

Thanks for posting this link Jim.....It really shows how clean and clear and crisp this amp sounds......The Franklin doesn’t hurt either !!..... Very Happy .......Jim

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 7:49 am    

I'm playing into a Telonics 15" speaker in a closed back Stereo Steel cabinet.

I'm also using a Zoom MS 50G multi-effects pedal (programmed for me by Tommy Dodd), with just a tad of the Mark 50's reverb added on (since the pedal sequence already includes some reverb. I could just tweak the pedal's reverb and not use the Mark 50's at all, but this seems to work out fine, at least to my ears.)

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 10:24 am    

Dave Mudgett wrote:

I went ahead and ordered the DV Mark Micro 50 CMT Ciro Manna Signature 50W Guitar Amp Head. It has a 6205 micro tube in the preamp. This is one of those subminiature tubes similar to those used in the Duncan Twin Tube Classic/Blue overdrive pedals, which I like a lot.

Dave,how does it sound with pedal steel ? Is that 6205 microtube an improvement soundwise (warmth, etc...) for pedal steel ?
Thanks.
http://www.dvmark.it/product-detail/dv-micro-50-cmt/

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 10:53 am    

The Little Jazz just arrived. Interesting side note: I ordered it from Jet.com, but the invoice is from Music123. It says bill to: Jet.com, ship to: Bob Lee.

I plugged it into my Carter D10 at the office to test. First impressions:
  • It has enough volume and bass response for small venues.

• The tone controls work very well. I had no problem dialing in a good tone.

• The reverb sort of sucks. Actually, it really sucks IMHO.

• It sounds very tight, which is pretty much what you'd expect from an 8" speaker in a small box.

• The cabinet is very well tuned to match the speaker.
The bottom line for me is that I'd need an external speaker and a reverb or delay pedal to do a serious gig with this amp. The small size and relatively low price makes it ideal as a backup amp to keep in the van in case my tube amp fails. It will also be nice for living rooms jams and such.

It's not going to replace my Milkman. Razz

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 10:59 am    

I just plugged into the external speaker jack (12" EVM closed back) and it sounds very good. It breathes more, and even the reverb is acceptable. I think that the reverb only sounded bad because of the high end response of the 8" speaker. Maybe the EQ circuit doesn't affect the reverb signal.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 2:03 pm    

Bob, not surprised by the 8" speaker. For me a 1x12 small cab is acceptable with a quality speaker. I'm using a small Fender SC112 ( closed back) with a Fender Gold label Eminence.

Jim's video is excellent, great playing along with some really nice tone.

This is the rig without the delay pedal which I use all the time. The cab is small , 18 x 18 weighs I think 25 pounds with the stock speaker.

DV makes a 1x12 combo ( same amp ) with a neo speaker, the whole thing weighs 19 pounds !

Last edited by Tony Prior on 12 Jul 2018 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 3:05 pm    

Quote:
Dave, how does it sound with pedal steel ? Is that 6205 microtube an improvement soundwise (warmth, etc...) for pedal steel?

I wrote this on page 2 of this thread (June 11):
Quote:
I said earlier that I ordered one of the Micro 50 Ciro Manna signature heads - this has a 6205 subminiature preamp tube. They are still on backorder, but for some reason MF sent me an open-box one. I tried it with my Little Walter 1x12 cab with a Telonics neo speaker. I immediately noticed a ringing tone that sounded like a microphonic preamp tube. It rattled when I put the head on the cabinet and turned it up, but when I separated them, it sounded very good with both guitars (old-school Strat/Tele) and pedal steel (Mullen G2 with a black-surround 705). I mean it sounded surprisingly good with plenty of clean volume - that is until the light went out 20 minutes later and that was that. I sent it back, they'll hopefully send me a new one when they come in. I hope that the ringing (pretty sure it was the tube) was just a fluke. I thought about just telling them to send me one of the standard Micro 50 heads, all solid-state, but I suspect that an important part of the sound, for me, was the tube preamp.

Nothing new to report, they're still on backorder, ETA is now July 21. But I also have no point of comparison with the all-solid-state versions. I'm 100 miles from the nearest place that might have one (GC), and haven't been down there recently.

George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 4:27 pm     DV Mark 50 11

The Mark 50 ll heads from MF won't ship till Aug. 13. [at least] I did lock in a good price though when they were on sale.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 6:52 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Last night was my first chance to use the DV Mark 50 amp in a gig setting and I was very happy with it. I'm not sure who took this video but it was posted to Facebook last night. Not sure if everyone can access it or not but here's a link you can try if you want to hear how the DV Mark 50 sounded in this setting:

https://www.facebook.com/1145186494/videos/10212156489324534/?t=0

Wow Jim! The little amp sounds fantastic and your playing really swings!

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 7:23 am    

Quote:
Wow Jim! The little amp sounds fantastic and your playing really swings!

Ditto! Very Happy

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 3:05 pm    

Jim, sounds very robust and a full vibe. I need another amp like I need another hip replacement but I ordered the Jazz head through MF. I have an EV 8 inch speaker in a small cab and various other speakers to experiment with. Should be interesting👍

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 3:50 pm    

I used it last night for both tele and steel. If I get any video I'll post it.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 4:36 pm    

Jim, your clip with the Micro 50 sounds great.

My Ciro Manna re-up is on its way and should be here Wednesday. We'll see. If this doesn't work, I'm probably gonna try one of the all-solid-state versions.

BTW, a bunch of them (including the DV Mark Micro 50, Micro 50 II, Micro 50 M, and the Ciro Manna) are back on sale at 20% off again, code is SUMMER. Click here. Some are in-stock, some are on backorder.

Quote:
Interesting side note: I ordered it from Jet.com, but the invoice is from Music123. It says bill to: Jet.com, ship to: Bob Lee.

Resistance is futile. Music123 is GC. You will be assimilated! Alien Muttering

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2018 5:00 am    

Da-yum!

I have a Quilter Micro Pro 200 12 (the Micro Pro 200 head in a combo with a 12" speaker.) I like this as a small amp quite a lot, especially now that I swapped out the stock Celestion for a Weber 12F150B (got to get you that dough, Bruce Derr!). I have been thinking of picking up the head only version of the Quilter to pair with my 15" JBL in a closed cab for moderate volume gigs. That head would run me @$700 new, or @550 used. I decided I ought to do due diligence and check out this DV Mark at @$200 used before plunging in on the Quilter head.

Wow. I was not expecting the DV Mark Micro to sound this good. Through the JBL it is pretty much the Quilter's equal. Mind you, the Quilter has waaayyy more flexibility and choices of tones, but I am only working within a tiny spectrum of those possibilities for steel, so it is not such a big advantage to me (and maybe even a slight disadvantage in a gig situation, where you don't want to be dialing knobs constantly to find a sweet spot that may not be there in the given room).

Through the Quilter's internal Weber, the DV Mark was on the bright side (even with the treble rolled almost off), but matched the Quilter for basic tonal quality. Dialing back the load from my Matchbox didn't seem to really help with the DV Mark brightness. That's where the Quilter's flexibility (with Treble as well as a Presence knob) might come into play--dialing in an initial sound that is not so bright. But I am thinking of this as something to use with my 15s, where that was not an issue, so it's not such a big consideration for me.

To my ear, the reverb on the DV Mark is acceptable and decidedly better than on the Quilter. I'll always be running through an effects pedal anyway.

SO: I think it's a keeper. Comes with the added advantage that I can hang it off the side of my pac-a-seat like I used to with my Carvin BX250 (compared to which, the DV MArk is much, much better). Quite honestly, it's a surprise: I fully intended to try it and send it back.

Da-yum!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 12:14 am    

Nice review Dan. I think for me, as noted in the earlier posts , I was considering it as a DOUBLE DUTY option, even though I am not a fan of SS amps for guitars. The DV with the added drive channel is what sparked my interest. So I dove in head first !

Regarding the EQ, I have no issues with a single 12 with shrill brightness, I suspect that our speaker choices play a big part with the end result. I've been going between 2 or 3 different 12's, no issues with the hi end. I'm experiencing good EQ all the way around.

Was your 15 brand new ? I've read that many times brand new speakers can tend to lean bright for a while.

Regarding the Quilter, I have heard nothing but good things about them and my posts are not intended as a comparison, DV vs Quilter. The DV is a 4 lb guitar amp with channel switching which is why I grabbed it. I'm not even sure if Quilter even makes an amp with channel switching.

At the $249 price brand new , at the time, I didn't know what to expect, all I could go on were the NET reviews. Well, I didn't send it back ! I like it a lot and it has it's place in the amp line-up for me.