The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DV Mark 50 watt amp- gig report
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 May 2018 12:04 am    

John Sluszny wrote:
Tony,any sound clip with your DV Mark Micro 50 ? Thanks !

I'll prepare a few, give me a day or two.

thx !

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 May 2018 12:14 am    

b0b wrote:
Skip Ellis wrote:
I've got the DV Mark Micro 50 Jazz head (single channel) and love it! The reverb could be a little better but it has an effects loop so you can plug in whatever you want. Been using it with all sorts of cabinets (8,10,12,15) and it works great with all of them. Way better than the Quilter (tried twice and sent back both times) and it's right up there with my MB200.

What differences do you hear between the DV Mark Micro 50 Jazz and the GK MB200, Skip?

Bob, while the Micro 50-II is not termed a Jazz head but rather a guitar head, the comparison even with this one to a MB200( of which I also have ) is dramatic. I like the MB200 and could use it for Steel however for the 6 string it comes across as just too sterile, almost compressed sounding like many SS amps do for guitars. The EQ +/- on the DV's is excellent and as mentioned above, the MID"S and LOWS are extremely flexible . Keep in mind these are guitar EQ'd amps, not Bass amps. Now add reverb, even if it's not the best reverb in the world it's still there.

While obviously the DV 50 is a SS amp, it doesn't come across as a SS amp sound wise. IF the little Jazz has even close to the same EQ profile as the DV Mark 50 then I suspect this would be a pretty kool amp for a small to moderate room.

Heres a few reviews of the DV Jazz amp which is stated to have a SS front end and an Analog backside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNxHGIn-lTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohYJl_oA_5Q

http://www.avhub.com.au/product-reviews/australian-guitar/dv-mark-little-jazz-416151

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 17 May 2018 3:58 pm    

OK, I'm no major gigging steeler, so my opinion isn't worth as much as some of my much more experienced fellow forumites. But for what it's worth I'll say this after a couple of weeks with the DV Mark Micro 50--It's really easy to dial in a great steel sound. It has plenty of power for small gigs or for practice. I'm running through two cabinets--one single Altec 15 and the other a pair of Alnico Weber Blue Dog 10s. It really sounds good. I'm using the built in reverb and a Hilton delay in the effects loop.

At the price from Guitar Center and with their very liberal return policy, if you're looking for a good lower powered steel amp, it's hard to go wrong with this one.

Dave

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 May 2018 12:44 am    

David Ball wrote:
OK, I'm no major gigging steeler, so my opinion isn't worth as much as some of my much more experienced fellow forumites. But for what it's worth I'll say this after a couple of weeks with the DV Mark Micro 50--It's really easy to dial in a great steel sound. It has plenty of power for small gigs or for practice. I'm running through two cabinets--one single Altec 15 and the other a pair of Alnico Weber Blue Dog 10s. It really sounds good. I'm using the built in reverb and a Hilton delay in the effects loop.

At the price from Guitar Center and with their very liberal return policy, if you're looking for a good lower powered steel amp, it's hard to go wrong with this one.

Dave

Excellent David, the only thing I would add is that it may not be as low powered as we think ! I'm just saying, as a tube amp guy, this amp is not like a SS amp where we wonder where the rated power is like we do with many SS amps . It also does not start to limit or compress when we push it.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 7:41 pm    

After reading this thread, I decided to pick one of these up. My first impression is that it's gonna be great for my Tele, using the Drive channel. Steel in clean channel sounds pretty good at bedroom level but I'll need to try it at a gig before saying any more about that. I'll use it on Sunday and report back next week.

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2018 9:49 pm     DV Mark "Little Jazz" combo

I went ahead and picked up a DV Mark “Little Jazz” combo amp, which is the micro 50 jazz head in a small combo with an 8” speaker. I like this little amplifier. As a steel amp, I’ve only used it with the lap and console steel, but I think it would be an okay pedal steel amp for rehearsals, or as a personal monitor amp, pointed at the player, and sent to the P.A. via it’s xlr line out. The 8” speaker is smooth, and has a nice low end. The upper mids are less shrill then my Quilter MicroPro 8 (though it’s not as loud). I tried powering one of my 15” cabinets with it, and it sounded quite nice. The combo amp offers me the flexibility of having a tiny amp (10” square, 14 lbs), but also being able to plug in an external speaker cabinet when needed.

This amplifier cannot be overdriven. It stays clean no matter how hard you push it. There’s obviously some sort of limiter in there, but it has to be the most transparent limiter I’ve ever heard. There’s no sense of a limiter or compressor ducking as you hit it hard, it just sounds natural.

For it’s intended use, as a jazz guitar amp, it’s great. I used it in a modest sized club with a jazz quintet, and it held it’s own just fine. It does have a cooling fan that cranks up when it’s working hard, but when you let off the gas, it spins down within a few seconds. That could be a problem if it’s miked, but it the xlr line out sounds fine, so no need to mic it. I think I’ll get a lot of use out of this little amp. It sounds different than any of my other amps, doesn’t replace any of them, but it’s another tool in the arsenal.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 6:22 pm    

Question: does the DV Mark 50 ship out with a carrying case, or not?

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 10:19 am    

No carry case came with mine, it did come in a cardboard box though ! Very Happy

A carry case is a good idea but I generally just carry it in a gig bag which is more like a small duffel bag ! It's got one of everything in it ! I learned this from Mr Haney.

I have a few video camera cases hanging around, one of them will indeed fit the bill. Probably better in the small case than in the gig bag.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 12:58 pm    

OK, so I used it on the gig with Lucky Oceans and Beats Walkin' yesterday and we both agreed that it sounded great and held its own admirably against Lucky's Twin Reverb. In fact, he was so impressed by it, he went out and bought one himself (he especially likes that it's switchable between 120 and 240 volts, so easy to use both the States and in Oz.) And since it also sounded great with the Tele on the drive channel (at home; didn't play Tele on the BW gig), I'm gonna try it on my next Ronstadt Revue show where I need to play both. My only concern there right now is whether it will create any issues for the sound guys, since both Tele and steel will be coming out of the same speaker cab and, ideally, they might like to mic the two instruments separately so they can tweak the EQ for each. Thoughts?

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 2:18 pm    

The sound guy could use 2 different mics on the same speaker. Set one for the steel and the other for the Tele. He could fade one out and the other in when you switch instruments.

Jim, what speaker did you use with the DV amp?

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 3:50 pm    

Jim Cohen wrote:
I'm gonna try it on my next Ronstadt Revue show where I need to play both. My only concern there right now is whether it will create any issues for the sound guys, since both Tele and steel will be coming out of the same speaker cab and, ideally, they might like to mic the two instruments separately so they can tweak the EQ for each. Thoughts?

Buy another one? Evil Twisted

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 4:40 pm    

Len, it was a Peavey Black Widow 15" 4 ohm in a closed-back, Stereo Steel cabinet. (I tried it with a Telonics 15" speaker too but I preferred the bass response of the BW).

b0b, having two of them would defeat the purpose of getting a 2-channel amp to reduce my gear down to one amp for double-duty.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 5:13 pm    

Quote:
My only concern there right now is whether it will create any issues for the sound guys, since both Tele and steel will be coming out of the same speaker cab and, ideally, they might like to mic the two instruments separately so they can tweak the EQ for each. Thoughts?

I dunno - I double on guitar and steel most of the time. If I'm happy with the sound of each coming out of the same speaker, I really don't want sound people screwing around with my sound based on their idea of what each should sound like. Of course, they need to do things to make the overall sound work in the room, be balanced with other instruments, and so on. But beyond that, I want to control my sound as much as possible. Call me silly, but I don't view sound people as "producers" of the band, making decisions about what my guitars ought to sound like. What they do is very important, but I don't see that as their role.

The bigger issue for me is getting both guitar and steel to sound good from the same amp and/or speaker. Most sound guys I know appreciate just having to mic/EQ one amp. Of course, this puts a burden on me to control my sound appropriately.

I said earlier that I ordered one of the Micro 50 Ciro Manna signature heads - this has a 6205 subminiature preamp tube. They are still on backorder, but for some reason MF sent me an open-box one. I tried it with my Little Walter 1x12 cab with a Telonics neo speaker. I immediately noticed a ringing tone that sounded like a microphonic preamp tube. It rattled when I put the head on the cabinet and turned it up, but when I separated them, it sounded very good with both guitars (old-school Strat/Tele) and pedal steel (Mullen G2 with a black-surround 705). I mean it sounded surprisingly good with plenty of clean volume - that is until the light went out 20 minutes later and that was that. I sent it back, they'll hopefully send me a new one when they come in. I hope that the ringing (pretty sure it was the tube) was just a fluke. I thought about just telling them to send me one of the standard Micro 50 heads, all solid-state, but I suspect that an important part of the sound, for me, was the tube preamp.

BTW, MF has several DV Mark amps on sale for 20% off through today. I'm actually getting the replacement cheaper than I got the original one.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 5:19 pm    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
BTW, MF has several DV Mark amps on sale for 20% off through today. I'm actually getting the replacement cheaper than I got the original one.

Dave, can you please provide a link to that? I just went to MF and only saw the model "M" (for metal players) on sale, and that was only 16%, not 20%, and saw no sale on the regular model or the "II". Thanks.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 8:15 pm    

Jim - just sent a PM with the info. Won't let me send an email, must be a time filter.

Dave

PS - nuts, I just tried it, said coupon expired (it's 12:15 EDT) and to call them. If you call them tomorrow, they might do it. They're out of the Micro 50 II, ETA July 16, same date as the date they have for the Ciro Manna.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 1:22 am    

Jim, nice review, glad you liked it !

Buy two , funny ! Laughing

I play double duty all the time, I don't ever recall it being an issue throughout my over 40 year journey. Typically the sound guys just want to know if I am going to change any levels between Steel or Guitar, and my stock is answer is , I hope not, but maybe !

My anal amp rule of thumb is an amp has to perform for the Telecaster first and Steel second. If I can't find the guitar tones or feel the tones, the amp is not for me. Seeing the Steel requires a 100% clean performance, I find this easier to dial in than a small amount of grit for the guitar.

I like the DV 50 a lot, I don't use it on each gig but I will use it for my bi- monthly shows, small room, moderate volume. It performs, even for my very anal Telecaster mind. This amp has very impressive EQ ranges .

Mine is the DV Micro 50 II , well worth the $249 I paid from GC.

maybe I shoulda got 2 ! Very Happy

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 11:28 am    

Update:

The one Lucky bought was defective so he returned it and since he's leaving today for Australia, I sold him mine and now need to replace it.

Thought I'd see if any of you have one to sell before buying new...? Maybe too early for that still...

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2018 12:57 am    

Jim, GC has one used for $199

guitarcenter.com

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2018 4:39 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
Jim, GC has one used for $199

Thanks, Tony. I'm aware of that one.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2018 5:28 pm    

GC has them today on 15% off sale. Use coupon JUNE15

You're welcome. Smile

Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2018 3:59 pm    

I’m fascinated but confused. How can a 50 watt solid state amp possibly cut the mustard for pedal steel?

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2018 4:19 pm    

Rick Contino wrote:
I’m fascinated but confused. How can a 50 watt solid state amp possibly cut the mustard for pedal steel?

My amp is always mic'ed so it doesn't have to blast the whole hall.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 10:45 am    

It seems the DV Micro 1 has an XLR out and the DV Micro 2 has an effects loop. The DV Jazz 50 has one channel and reverb. Don’t know if that model is voiced differently than the #1 & 2 models.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 11:04 am    

Len Amaral wrote:
It seems the DV Micro 1 has an XLR out and the DV Micro 2 has an effects loop.
I believe it's the other way around, Len.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 11:21 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Len Amaral wrote:
It seems the DV Micro 1 has an XLR out and the DV Micro 2 has an effects loop.
I believe it's the other way around, Len.

I have the Mark 2, and it has the effects loop but no XLR. Hard to keep up with this stuff, especially when they get the specs wrong on the websites...

Dave