The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I was out of steel..now here is pic of latest D10
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 11:34 am    

About 3 months ago I sold the only pedal steel I owned at the time and it didnt take long before I realized I missed pushing pedals...playing pedal steel is just too much fun to deprive yourself.. and take it from this 72 yr old retard..dont do it ! haha So last week I purchased a used D10 and I am having a ball playing again and using pro rythm tracks I had purchased from Mike H, Tommy Dodd, and many others ...Just a lot of fun. I started in 1969 and have always had at least one pedal steel to play on. Still dont play that great ! Thats it, end of story !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 21 Jul 2018 9:42 am; edited 2 times in total

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 12:55 pm    

I know the feeling Larry. I've owned at least one pedal steel since 1978, but am now without. However, sometimes circumstances dictate. Be it finances, health, other responsibilities.

It's not pleasant, but I have other instruments to hack around on.

I hope you're able to always keep one in your inventory it that's what you like and congratulations and good luck on getting re-acquainted with the pedal steel.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 1:42 pm    

Thanks, Jerry, and that is the other thing...the friend base of the people on the forum...within hours of me posting that I was looking for a D10, stated my budget, name brands, etc. I had about 6 responses from people who had one..so the choice was hard and you never know if you went the right direction, but I am very happy with what I purchased. So thats the other thing,,,being with people who enjoy the pedal steel guitar...I have several guitars, a 7 string jazz guitar, a lap steel, a banjo, but I still missed the pedal steel Smile As you say, I hope to keep one in my inventory from now on...I had bills to pay is the reason I sold the other one, so here I am with a steel and back in debt again ! haha...but happy. Jerry, hope you are doing well.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 5:58 pm    

congrats Larry... can't stay away long!
love to see/hear that Excel if you care to share sir

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2018 5:14 am    

Welcome back!

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2018 9:41 am    

Thanks guys and here is a picture of my latest acquisition:

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2018 12:02 pm    

Go big or go home Smile Enjoy my friend.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2018 12:08 pm    

Thanks Bill...hope you are doing well...I always enjoy your steel playing, bass playing, and I am sure you play other instruments as well. Thanks for the positive comments !
Are you going to the Branson show...I wish I could go but I have family obligations that weekend ! Smile

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 11:49 am    

Played this out last night for the first time...I really am enjoying this steel...I think it is as light as many SD10s I have owned...stays in tune, and sounds great to my ears...I got a lot of complements last night on how good it sounded...I used my Quilter MicroPro and an old Cube 80 as an extension cabinet and just a bit of digital delay, no reverb from the Quilter...I was pleased.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 12:52 pm    

gorgeous guitar Larry... you done real good!

Excel has made my short list of dream steels I hope to own one day, along with Emmons, Zum, and JCH.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2018 3:31 pm    

Larry that steel looks great. I have always wanted to try an Excel and should have do so while Scottys was here in St. Louis. Hang on to this if you can.

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 10:04 am    

This Excel plays beautifully! It’s very light for a D-10, and clean as a whistle! Hearing Larry play it is a reminder that I should be practicing my guitar a lot more...
Thanks for all the kindness you’ve shown me, Larry!

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 5:42 pm    

"Quitting music" so I could "concentrate" on a grown-up kinda life - the wife(s), the house, the car(s) - was surely the single dumbest booger-brained idiocy of my life. I mean, I was right - if there were guitars or stringy things of any sort, I was off twanking away, and naturally, sorta muffing the job on the wife/house/vacations la-la-la-la... it's amazing the kind of stuff the television tells you to want, and hence need. You need little pieces of paper to throw in your clothes dryer, to escape the tragedy of "static cling." (?) If you're pair-bonded (nothing wrong about it) go look in the bathroom and count the number of bottles of stuff the female variety needs to take a shower? Boggle, boggle.

Meanwhile, the thirty-ish me was sitting in a dark corner, fingers twitching away. I finally found out that I went insane if I wasn't playing, some nerve conduits established in my early teens could never be appeased with bigger/better piles of stuff. I was kinda old by the time I sussed it all out, late thirties. Oh well, I did escape... one time I couhnted up ALL the watts of everything amplifier-ish around here, and came up with 890 watts or some such. 1100 maybe? When the reaper comes a-calling, he's gonna hafta to fight through the howl.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2018 5:37 pm    

Dave, that reminds me, sometimes Buddy E. would say, "there's another crease on the cerebellum", referring to practicing something enough that it becomes second nature.
Physically practicing but also practicing by just thinking about it.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2018 10:50 am    

Edward Rhea wrote:
This Excel plays beautifully! It’s very light for a D-10, and clean as a whistle! Hearing Larry play it is a reminder that I should be practicing my guitar a lot more...
Thanks for all the kindness you’ve shown me, Larry!

And a big thanks to you Eddie for taking time out of your busy schedule to make that knee lever on my C6th neck work the way I wanted it to ! So the feelings are mutual my friend !

I am enjoying this steel more and more everyday !