The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recommendation for steel guitar appraisers
Sherie Edwards

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 2:27 pm    

Hello,

I am looking for recommendations for steel guitar appraisers. My dad, George Edwards, had several guitars when he passed away and we are ready to move forward with selling them. Please, we are not ready to sell at this time without knowing fair market value, so please do not ask for a list of equipment. Thank you in advance.

Sherie Edwards

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 4:52 pm    

If you are close to Nashville, you could take them in to
Steel Guitars of Nashville. They could appraise them for you and let you know what their retail value should be.
There are many people on the Forum who could also give you a fair market value but they would have to know what you have and the condition of the instruments. And, if the guitars you have are still being made, like Mullen, you can talk with the folks who build them.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2018 9:41 am    

Good luck with your sale

Last edited by Johnie King on 8 May 2018 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2018 9:53 am    

In my thinking, a good indicator is to look at ebay "completed auctions" listings and on the forum sale section for steels of similar type, or hopefully the same models as yours.

This market seems to be "buyer driven," so the selling price will usually end up being what the buyer is willing to pay at the time. I have seen huge swings in this market over the years, steels selling for much higher, and of course, lower than what they are really "worth." Good luck to you with the sale!

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2018 1:46 pm    

Sherie, your Dad use to have me come over the house on Saturdays to hangout, tell stories, listen to music.

He had me list and take pictures of one of his D10 but it didn't sell. I'm in Gallatin if you want to talk. PM me.

Ron Hogan

Terry Miller

Hammondsport NY USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2018 4:04 pm    

Sherie, talk with Jeff Surratt at Show Pro Steel guitars, He has helped others. Jeff is honest as the day is long, your dad knew him. 615/453/2371. Let mne know if I can help.

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2018 6:52 am    

It is also OK to ask in the Pedal Steel section of the Forum
what the value of your instrument is. Usually you will get at least a few responses and I have found most Forum members to be honest and knowledgeable. Good pictures help.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2018 12:48 pm     Re: Recommendation for steel guitar appraisers

Sherie Edwards wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for recommendations for steel guitar appraisers. My dad, George Edwards, had several guitars when he passed away and we are ready to move forward with selling them. Please, we are not ready to sell at this time without knowing fair market value, so please do not ask for a list of equipment. Thank you in advance.

Sherie Edwards

No one here is looking to steal from you. I would post a list of what you are in possession of, and set each of them up and take good pictures.. You will get a good, honest evaluation of what steel players would be willing to pay..
If you have a certain guitar thats desirable, or even not so desirable, its ONLY worth what people will pay.. "Fair market value" is subjective. You will get several responses here from many that KNOW what steel players will pay for any given guitar.

If one guy says its worth $1700 realistically, and another person gives a top estimated value of $2200, you can bet its between those two estimates, or at least pretty close... However, it might sit for months at $2200, or sell in a day or two at $1700..
Bottom line is this.. yes you can take all that stuff to a dealer, set it up, and get a fair estimate of what the stuff will sell for.. however, in all honestly, you will get the exact same information here without the hassle... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 May 2018 6:45 pm    

I'm inclined to agree with Bob, you'll get better info right here than you will at any store. The very last person I'd ask about value would be a store or dealer because they always low-ball the value. Of course, they have to...because they're doing it as a business, and the only way to stay in business is to "buy low, sell high". You might also check Ebay to see what similar items have sold for.

And if you don't believe all this, just look at cars like yours in the newspaper classifieds, and see what they're selling for. Then, go to any dealer and ask him what he thinks your car is worth. Laughing

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 3 May 2018 8:22 pm     Steel guitar appraisals

Sherie,
I would say that these guitars would be worth a bit more that just the run of the mill steel guitars because of who your Dad is. It would be good to know which guitars he played on the road, and which guitars were used in the studio, and if any of the guitars were played on hits. George was Kitty Wells steel player for many many years.

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 4 May 2018 3:49 am    

Sherie, I will be happy to assist you, if you like..
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 4 May 2018 6:43 am    

Back in 2014, George had me come over the house to take pictures of his three Emmons guitars as he wanted to start selling them. I helped him write this and he approved it. I told him it was pricey but he still went with it. I showed him what other guitars were going for and what new ones went for too

It never sold and most bids went for about $3500.00.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=263242&highlight=george+edwards