The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Joe Goldmark CD...Wow!!
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 5:50 am    

Yesterday the femail man delivered the New Joe Goldmark CD to me,This morning I finally got to give it a good listen in my car on the way to the supermarket,I am totally blown away by this wonderful recording,Tone!to die for awesome pitch ,Great players and wonderful singers,I met Joe at the Boarding House in San Francisco in about 1977I was touring with the late B.W.Stevenson,Joe had given me a copy of his first L.P. which was a really nice thing,I remember that Joe played a very cool version of the Spinners song "Could it be I'm falling in love"we both had steel guitar,and soul music in common,Joe has that Bobby Black tone it's not his guitar or amp ,it's in his hands,Do yourself a favor and go buy this record,It's not about chops it's about "Love for the song"
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 6:03 am    

From Joe's web site:

"The Wobble" from the CD, great recording!

http://www.joegoldmark.com/media/05TheWobble.mp3

Three of Joe's CD's including this one are also on Apple Music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 7:31 am    

The Wobble: wow!

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 7:59 am    

I would guess that not everyone here knows that Joe is a partner in Amoeba Music, the superb three store operation in California. I'm a semi regular in the San Francisco and Berkeley stores. Joe's SF store is located on the legendary Haight Street. You can order the physical CD here:

https://www.amoeba.com/blue-steel-cd-joe-goldmark/albums/4019345/

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 11:47 am    

I had a chance to listen to Joe's new Cd while I was walking my dog. I have always loved Joe's "all over the road" approach to music, and this cd is filled with variety. Like Stu's post above, I enjoy Joe's love of soul/ 1960's, mixed in with some San Francisco attitude. There's some cool steel guitar, ranging from the traditional to the not-so traditional, and even some C6th.
Great job, Joe. I'm enjoying your new recording.
Chuck

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 1:47 pm    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
From Joe's web site:

"The Wobble" from the CD, great recording!

http://www.joegoldmark.com/media/05TheWobble.mp3

Three of Joe's CD's including this one are also on Apple Music.

Man, if that doesn't get you up out of your chair, nothing will! Awesome!

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 2:01 pm    

I'll have to look into that!

Here's my favorite of his (so far):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgJAFlVYWRs

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 3:25 pm    

Don R Brown wrote:
Here's my favorite of his (so far):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgJAFlVYWRs

Great tune, done well.
That guitar picker is pretty good, but ummm...is it just me or did the steel solo pretty much do the trick? Cool

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 3:42 pm    

Thanks guys, really appreciate it, especially Stu for starting the thread and Greg for posting "The Wobble". I'm gonna start a new thread since this one seems to be wandering off topic. That "Sing Me Back Home" video is from my album release of "Seducing the 60's" from 2007. Glad you like it. Joe

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 5:26 pm    

Glenn Walters’ excellent vocal on Wobble sounds like he’s channeling Carl Perkins.

I don’t know how Joe makes those pull offs so slick, but I could have sworn they were the beginning of a six-string solo.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 6:01 pm    

I just got my copy of Joe's new CD: great album, Joe, great playing and very listenable with wonderful vocals by Glenn Walters and Dallis Craft, and cameo by 6-string slinger Jim Campilongo. That vintage Zumsteel sounds awesome!

I think this would be a great inspiration to you if you're looking to learn some interesting approaches to steel that aren't impossibly hard or fast. You'll steel need clean technique to play Joe's licks. Some nice blues and rock things here.

I should add, my earliest steel lesson was a one-off when Joe sold me a student ZB one of his students was selling. About 1972. Thanks again, Joe!

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2018 5:06 pm    

I already responded on the other thread, but this is a great CD, front-to-back. Wow is right.

David Phillips

San Francisco CA , USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2018 2:09 pm    

I love it!

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 2 May 2018 3:49 pm    

Really cool! Joe always does interesting stuff, and this raises his bar. This isn't a lick-fest...it's a real album. Great playing by all involved, especially from Joe, and some really cool vocals from Dallis Craft & Glenn Walters.
Hat's off to ya, Joe...

Gibson Hartwell

Missoula, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 8:12 am    

Holy cow, what a fantastic player. And an Amoeba partner to boot! Thanks for the post, Stu!

Mike Daly

Tennessee
Post  Posted 14 May 2018 2:27 pm    

Congrats on another fine CD Joe. Great production and song choices. My favorites lean towards the instrumentals; "Ginger Ale" and "Warm Rain" are a pleasure to listen to. The layers of steel are inventive and adventurous. Thank you Joe...

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 14 May 2018 4:08 pm    

Thanks, Mike! I actually kept it pretty simple on this album. I'll leave the layering to you! When does your new one drop? Looking forward to it.

Thanks Gibson for your nice comments and thanks Skip, I think I responded on the other thread.

Joe

Mike Daly

Tennessee
Post  Posted 15 May 2018 7:47 am    

Joe... the new album is completed and looking to have it ready for a June release. I will be posting info...

Marty Muse

Austin,Tx USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2018 1:24 pm    

Another great record (I still call them records) from Joe! Joe's knack for picking interesting material is still evident here and his touch and tone are unmistakable. He has a unique voice in the world of steel guitar. Great playing, production and a snappy dresser to boot. Kudos to you Joe.