The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fults Proto-1 Steel Guitar... On Debut... Looking 4 Feedback
Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 24 May 2018 8:19 am    

https://www.facebook.com/brad.fults.9/videos/vb.100001015817554/1825283050848871/

Seems to have a good deal of grit and growl to it.

I look forward to hearing the wood-neck version. Smile

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2018 6:52 am     Fults PSG

This is a beautiful machine & it sounds great. It is obviously a "Labor of Love" & I'm sure there many who are already looking at owning one. (I may be one of those)

How much is it expected to cost". I would also like to know how much it will weigh, out of the case & in the case or cases.

Brad Fults

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2018 2:24 am     Re: Fults PSG

Charley Bond wrote:
This is a beautiful machine & it sounds great. It is obviously a "Labor of Love" & I'm sure there many who are already looking at owning one. (I may be one of those)

How much is it expected to cost". I would also like to know how much it will weigh, out of the case & in the case or cases.

Hi Charlie, thanks for the input and Dads workin on some quotes for some machining, parts, ect… but I believe the price is going to be around the 6k mark, but that is not a quote, just a rough figure off the top of Dads head, we will know more here real soon as he is workin on all that as we speak... and as far as weight... shes built to last of course, she weighs right at 50lbs... don't know w/case. Dad will be making some minor changes to the future ones and will be a few lbs lighter w/o any changes to the mechanics, quality or sound... just some minor things here and there... Thanks again Charlie and hope to hear from you on down this road! feel free, Brad Fults.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2018 7:16 am    

Wow!!! Whoa! looks and sounds awesome. My only thing is that I don't like the knee levers. Other than that, I like it. I can only imagine how nice it would be to not have to tune the pedals at the end plate. There are some gigs where I am shoved up against a wall with about enough room to get my hand and tuning wrench in. Having to squash my head into the wall to try and see the nylons was a, well, pain in the head. I changed the tuning nuts on my Carter to longer ones that stuck out a little past the end plate.

Good luck with this and I hope you are successful with this venture.

Brad Fults

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2018 3:44 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Wow!!! Whoa! looks and sounds awesome. My only thing is that I don't like the knee levers. Other than that, I like it. I can only imagine how nice it would be to not have to tune the pedals at the end plate. There are some gigs where I am shoved up against a wall with about enough room to get my hand and tuning wrench in. Having to squash my head into the wall to try and see the nylons was a, well, pain in the head. I changed the tuning nuts on my Carter to longer ones that stuck out a little past the end plate.

Good luck with this and I hope you are successful with this venture.

Hi Richard, Thank you for your input and Dads been workin hard on getting all the details of this adventure ironed out...
Its getting closer each day! will keep you all posted as we go Winking

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2018 7:39 am    

Could those mechanics be applied to a loaded double neck steel?

Dan Behringer

Jerseyville, Illinois
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 5:26 am    

Wow! I’ve studied this thread and all attachments and have to say I am extremely impressed. The innovations are just brilliant, and the quality in design and workmanship are above all the rest. I find it hard to believe this pedal steel could be built and sold for a penny under $12,000. I wish you guys great success with this creation!

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 8:18 pm    

No Rick; this is not for you. You are too good already. RP

Brad Fults

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 1:59 am    

Dan Behringer wrote:
Wow! I’ve studied this thread and all attachments and have to say I am extremely impressed. The innovations are just brilliant, and the quality in design and workmanship are above all the rest. I find it hard to believe this pedal steel could be built and sold for a penny under $12,000. I wish you guys great success with this creation!

Hi Dan... Unfortunately your pretty close to the number that Dads been dealin with if he subs out some cnc work on about 1/2 the things in this and Dad would do the other 1/2 and assembly... Dads numbers are right around 10,000... which will not cut it... Dad just got these figures and estimates finalized yesterday and very disappointed. He is going to try a few smaller independent machine shops to see how much will be saved, but needs to have quality work in the same breath... Dad is presently working on a small group of 4 pedal steels. That is 4 of everything to produce 4 to let go to the public. And again, Dad is doing this like you said Dan, just a labor of love thing in the past and now it seems in the future as well... Dad is a work-a-holic and does not stop. He will still be pursuing avenues in ways for other future steels, but for now at this point, the next 4 will be all his making and will take some time to produce... I will keep all of you posted on any changes or milestones that may happen in this production time. Thank you for the very keen evaluation of this Dan and will keep all posted and feel free w/any other inputs or questions, Brad Fults

Brad Fults

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 2:05 am    

Rick Schmidt wrote:
Could those mechanics be applied to a loaded double neck steel?

Hi Rick, No... there is just too much going on underside and would be next to impossible... And Dad is just sticking with this model in this design. Thank you for the question and feel free with any other q,s or comments, Brad Fults

Brad Fults

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2018 6:46 am     Fults Pedal Steel Will Be Making 4 @ $5,000 Ea.

Well, Dads starting in making 4 units himself... No other shop or cnc will be involved.. Dad will be doing it all... AND, they will not be no where near that estimated 10,000k mark... Dad said no way... So, he will be producing these 4 at 1/2 that cost. They will be 5,000k each... I will be posting this in the new products and feel free with any other questions and I will also be giving more details there as well. Thank you all again for your input and words of praise. Brad Fults

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2018 6:02 pm    

So have all the tuning stops been deleted from the end of the guitar and instead placed along the same plane as the actuator rods?

The "stop tuners" seem to be spaced erratically - is there specific logic as far as tuner position vs what string it operates on? That's one advantage to endplate tuners - they line up with the strings affected. And why do the tuners move side to side? That seems unnecessary and something that could make tuning unstable.

I'm just trying to think through the obviously unique mechanics as the pictures do not show the stop tuners in any detail.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Brad Fults

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2018 10:12 am    

Jim Sliff wrote:
So have all the tuning stops been deleted from the end of the guitar and instead placed along the same plane as the actuator rods?

The "stop tuners" seem to be spaced erratically - is there specific logic as far as tuner position vs what string it operates on? That's one advantage to endplate tuners - they line up with the strings affected. And why do the tuners move side to side? That seems unnecessary and something that could make tuning unstable.

I'm just trying to think through the obviously unique mechanics as the pictures do not show the stop tuners in any detail.

Hi Jim... think your lookin at this in the wrong direction/incorrectly....
You are correct in saying the tuners on the end of other units are not on the fults, they are now the ergonomic tuning knobs on top... They do pivot side to side as that lever or pedal is used. about 1/4inch swing, side to side...

Now as far as tuning, all tune fine and stay in tune… Johnny Cox and quite a few others say its amazing smooth and solid tuning w/ease... Johnny also metered out the cabinet drop and its virtually right at "0" .. and that's unheard of... Johnny and many others had nothing but praise on it all, and Johnny went through it top to bottom w/amazement...

And the tuners are just 1 of about 4 things this guitar has going for it. These changes blow away the way other steels are built and the quality of tones produced ...

Also, as far as what tuners work with what pedal or lever, that will be the tuners that pivot when that action is actuated... And the tuners are not spaced erratically... part of them are "x" apart, and the rest are "x" apart. Dad would know the measurements, but I know they are not spaced erratic... The tuning knobs have literally received "0" negatives on feedback, all been very positive... And very easy to see and adjust instantly, with no wrench or twisting positions to place wrench, as well as no wrench to manage...

There is 0 on this guitar that is unstable... all quality machined precision from top to bottom.

I hope this helps clear the confusion on the tuners Jim and feel free to write back w/any other q's you might have, ty Brad Fults

Chance Wilson

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2018 9:42 am    

Brad, It's inspiring to see good old American innovation and follow through. I'd sure like to see & hear your Father's work in person.
How many raises/lowers?
How many pedals & levers can it accommodate?
Are there tune-able splits and if so, on which strings?
Compared to a typical modern all pull, how hard is it to make rod changes at home?

Hats off to your father.

Brad Fults

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2018 8:44 pm    

Chance Wilson wrote:
Brad, It's inspiring to see good old American innovation and follow through. I'd sure like to see & hear your Father's work in person.
How many raises/lowers?
How many pedals & levers can it accommodate?
Are there tune-able splits and if so, on which strings?
Compared to a typical modern all pull, how hard is it to make rod changes at home?

Hats off to your father.

Hi Chance... Some great questions... So great, a few of them im gonna turn over to Dad to give me a answer... But, I will say, what you see is the only style Dad will build, No more, No less... He is actually building the first 4 of his design, so they will have names on a waiting list... And you can tune into my facebook (Brad Fults) and see the girl in action and sound clips … I will get back with you on a few other things Chance and feel free to write back after you view it on my f.b….