The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Live Steel Strings
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 2:09 pm    

Quote:
Fact is I noticed it on both plain and wound strings, or I would have written it off as difference in core thickness under the windings.
Not much difference, but I estimated up to 5 cents longer throw needed on the plain LSS compared to the same-gauge plain Jagwires. Not bad compared to other brands I have tried, and I'm still talking about plain strings.

I'm not disputing your observations, but from a materials/manufacturing standpoint it just doesn't seem practical (possible yes - but not cost effective).

That would mean they are drawing their own wire, a hugely expensive undertaking (I have close family in the wire business and we've discussed these things).

Only a few of the largest string makers draw their own wire, as machines to draw thin wire to the kind of standards necessary for guitar string manufacturing run close to a hundred thousand bucks - and up. And several are required to cover various alloys and gages.

For a small manufacturer to draw their own wire is simply unheard of - the string cost would be astronomical. This is why nearly every small string label is just that - a label, with the strings manufactured by larger outfits with custom ball "ties", thread colors, wire colors etc.

Some small makers "wind" their own, but buy out 100% of the wire they use from wire manufacturers.

For a small brand to consistently supply plain strings that are 5% different in tension would require equipment...and selling prices...that would make no sense.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 2:32 pm    

Jim Sliff wrote:
I'm not disputing your observations, but from a materials/manufacturing standpoint it just doesn't seem practical (possible yes - but not cost effective).

I don't know what effects after-treatment may have, if any, on otherwise "standardized" strings. You are in a better position to answer that.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 11:16 am    

After treatments such as heat or cold are generally used for increased tensile strength, but at the expense of flexibility/playing ease. some treatments can also make the metal more brittle.

Those things are done by the wire, not "string" companies in just about every case. There are also corrosion-control and plating processes that can be done, but those are surface treatments unless made part of the actual wire specification(s)

Coatings, OTOH, can alter feel and reduce wear & corrosion - but they have no noticeable affect on tension.

Companies like this one make the actual wire used by companies that "wind" strings:

http://www.mjwire.com

Mapes is another, and one of the biggest.

They sell raw wire to those that actually "make" strings.

And companies that "make" strings - like D'Addario, GHS, Ernie Ball and the other "big names" do runs of special winding types, thread wraps, combinations of core and wrap types etc for most of the small, specialty string companies.

Most of those don't make anything at all - they just buy fairly standard strings and sets with their name on the packaging, and as mentioned - sometimes custom thread or ball colors and such.

The few small companies that wind their own strings still don't "draw" the wire. And winding small runs of strings - even using automated systems - isn't a cheap process, and the strings will be expensive.

You can fairly assume that strings from a small outfit with "normal" pricing are simply buyouts from one of the big makers and will perform exactly the same way.

Plain strings won't vary from the norm unless the price reflects serious custom work. There's no profit in selling unique, special alloy strings at typical consumer prices.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 11:38 am    

So, no technical explanations for my observations. Well, I can live with that as long as my observations are repeatable, and each brand/series is "steady".

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 24 May 2018 3:30 am    

Jim, Pretty sure D'Addario own there own wire drawing plant too

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2018 3:42 pm    

Yes Rodger I apologize if I offended you. That’s why I took the post down. Blessings

Tom Spaulding

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2018 8:44 pm    

Greg Thompson wrote:
Jim, Pretty sure D'Addario own there own wire drawing plant too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlVaT6tjSPQ

Bill Sutton

Post  Posted 25 May 2018 5:23 am    

I agree with what Mike Johnson said. I've been using Live Strings for a couple of years now...and I think they are the best strings I ever used. I've tried about all of the different steel strings...and a lot of them are good strings...But I have to say that the "Live Stainless Strings" are the best for me...They have tone to the bone.

Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 4:15 pm     good to go, LSS

Yeah, LSS are great..I've had them on for about a month now and like them.