The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  jeff newman universal course
Thornton Lewis

New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2018 3:40 pm    

I am considering buying this as I am moving from E9 to a uni. Does this course presume you are familiar with the C6
neck (ie does he say things like "Pedal 4 is the same as the
C6 so let's move on to pedal 5"?) I don't know anything about C6 and would rather spend the money on a C6 book and transpose then find out I need to do that anyway to understand the uni course. I'm ok with the ABC pedals and can deal with moving the levers around. Any info is appreciated.

Will Brown

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2018 8:01 am     newman

Hello why don't you email Melissa and have her send you a copy of a page or 2 of what you are wanting to know I bet she would just a thought

Thornton Lewis

New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2018 12:12 pm    

Good idea. Sent her a message from her site. Thanks

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2018 4:06 pm    

I don’t know how much a page or two will help you, the Newman U12 course has been described as dealing mostly with the B6 side, I agree. It introduces the pedals and combinations by what they do, no real reference to prior C6 experience, and frankly has many exercises and patterns I really haven’t seen taught elsewhere. If you’re aiming for swing, jazz, pop or anything but the “extended E9” view of the tuning, I highly recommend it.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 15 May 2018 10:27 am    

It does not. It is a very straight forward course, and is very easy to understand. As always Jeff does a great job. Well worth every penny.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 15 May 2018 10:33 am    

He will explain how you can play any C6th course on the Universal, or any E9th. It is a great tuning. I love it. I have two of the Universal Courses, but I wouldn't sell them. I hope someday to maybe buy another U-12. I have two S-10 now. I wish I was a better player, if I was, I'd have a U-12, and set it up with Jeff's setting. You won't be sorry.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.