The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Midnight - 1970 Emmons Resto - Phase 3
Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2018 7:25 am    

Well here we go again. A 1970 D10 Fatback in need of a full resto. She came to me as a full bore basket case in need of everything. This guitar has seen a ton of miles but will be a jewel once she is finished.

Plans: Black Mica, Decal Badge, Polished out like I do, red flocking (not to be confused with a red belly wrap around), new chrome fret boards.

This will be a fun project but a whole lotta work too.

Stay tuned

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Last edited by Mike Scaggs on 11 Aug 2018 5:34 am; edited 2 times in total

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2018 8:10 am    

But the "Gil" badge stays, right? Laughing

Seriously, you'll do a cool job on this one, like all your other restos. Nice job on the S-10, BTW.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2018 8:12 am    

I'll bet that will be a killer, Mike. Gotta love those fatbacks.

Obviously black mica is generally considered the most desirable color for an old Emmons, so that's a great call. But were decal badges used in '70?

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2018 8:29 am    

Drew Pierce wrote:
I'll bet that will be a killer, Mike. Gotta love those fatbacks.

Obviously black mica is generally considered the most desirable color for an old Emmons, so that's a great call. But were decal badges used in '70?

This guitar had a screwed in badge but I like the decals so thats what Im doing. Looks more retro to me Smile

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2018 9:03 am    

Fair enough. Where do you get the decals?

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2018 9:11 am    

Drew Pierce wrote:
Fair enough. Where do you get the decals?

Not sure. I think you can still get them from Emmons... I have one in my stash

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2018 10:06 am    

Second half mica stripped and man that is a task.

Next, sand and clean off all the old flocking, plug holes with maple dowels, and get her ready for some sweet black mica..

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 4:51 am    

Many of these old push pulls have lived a hard life like many of us playing in bars Smile This one is no acceptation.

Below is the deck where I have plugged all the unwanted holes in this body from years and years of moving knee levers and pedals around. The holes were all drilled to the same size and plugged with maple dowels for a good solid repair. Once completed the body will be sealed with lacquer before moving to the flocking.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 7:42 am    

Another Masterpiece in the making!!!
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 2:29 am    

I finished plugging holes for a fresh start and cleaned up the necks too. Now, I typically find cracks in the wood behind the changers where the two mounting holes are. This is always evident in lacquer guitars as we can see it from the top. This also happen on many mica guitars its just hard to see till you pull them down like I have. Very common on these old push pulls indeed. The picture will show how I do the repair with a biscuit and Titebond glue. Next I will seal the bare wood with urethane to protect it from moister and then on to the new Mica.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 4:14 am    

Mike - you are a glutton for punishment. Laughing

A classic black mica finish - cannot be beaten.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Last edited by Ken Byng on 29 Oct 2023 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 5:53 am    

Ken Byng wrote:
Mike - you are a glutton for punishment. Laughing

A classic black mica finish - cant be beaten.

HAHA Ken ... You're probably right!

Yes, a black Push Pull is pretty much the King. One thing I learned on Brownie is that maple wood pedal stop bar made a big difference in tone and even-ness. I can't explain why, all I know is that guitar rang like the Liberty Bell and was so even across and up and down the neck. If this guitar does the same thing I will incorporate a wood stop in ever PP in the future. JD Maness knows this to be true Smile

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 6:04 am    

I've been using a heat gun and a plastic putty spatula tao scrape the residual fretboard adhesive offf the neck. it sure speeds up the process.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 6:07 am    

I've been using a heat gun and a plastic putty spatula tao scrape off the fretboard adhesive. it sure sp\eeds up that task.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 6:07 am    

Tony Glassman wrote:
I've been using a heat gun and a plastic putty spatula tao scrape off the fret-board adhesive. it sure speeds up that task.

Yeah, I pulled the fret-boards off the same way but the glue came off with some lacquer thinner and a brush in less than 60 seconds. Then I used a DA sander with 80 grit to cleanup and jewel. I will do a final jewel once the necks are polished.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2018 2:07 am    

I see Mike is working his magic again l really enjoy the progress pictures. CheersMike

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2018 2:23 am    

Magic Mike love it. Mike did u find some one willing to Buff Mike the cabinet on a Emmons. Is im guessing is 5/8 thick instead of 3/4 like most steels do u think that is some of the magic on a push pull?

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2018 2:40 am    

Magic Mike love it. Mike did u find some one willing to Buff

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2018 3:44 am    

Johnie King wrote:
Magic Mike love it. Mike did u find some one willing to Buff

On the buffing, Dougs from Bud's Polishing called me a week or so ago and told me he is putting his shop back together so he can carry on his amazing buffing. Of course many of us have offered to do whatever we can to help his get back on his feet. So, I am looking forward to see his smiling face again.

An Emmons PP body is 1/2" straight grained maple and yes I do thing that is <part> of the tone for sure. I could easily make a new body but you cannot make age! That wood has been vibrating for 48 years and like an old Martin, it really does matter...

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2018 4:14 am    

Mike very good answer I agree totally!,

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2018 4:32 am     Restoration Emmons D-10

Mike,

Great work as usual...I'm looking forwarding to seeing more of the restoration as it develops.

Question #1: How far does the biscuit go into the wood. It would seem to go about a half inch and stop short of the hole in the wood. However, from the picture, it kind of looks like it goes the whole width of the wood at this spot. Please set me straight on this!

Question #2: Would it involve a complete tear down to retrofit a PP with the maple stop bar you are talking about? While on this subject, could you post some more detailed pictures of the maple stop bar mod as you continue this restoration? I'd like to see it before/after installation, etc.

I always look forward to this great series of Emmons PP restorations.

Thanks Again,

Don

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2018 4:39 am     Re: Restoration Emmons D-10

Don Mogle wrote:
Mike,
Question #1: How far does the biscuit go into the wood. It would seem to go about a half inch and stop short of the hole in the wood. However, from the picture, it kind of looks like it goes the whole width of the wood at this spot. Please set me straight on this!

Question #2: Would it involve a complete tear down to retrofit a PP with the maple stop bar you are talking about? While on this subject, could you post some more detailed pictures of the maple stop bar mod as you continue this restoration? I'd like to see it before/after installation, etc.

#1 The biscuit goes deeper than it looks like. It goes nearly the whole depth of the wood behind the changer to cover the whole cracked area. This is VERY common on all PPs. Once repaired it will hold up form now on...

#2 In short, the teardown although not a complete, would be required to change to a maple stop bar. Is it worth it? You have to decide that as it is a LOT of work. I did that wood stop bar on Brownie and man that guitar had a ring about it. Was it the stop bar? How knows, but that was the only change I made to her. If I get the same results here I am staying with that from now on.

Mike

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 5 May 2018 5:55 pm    

Made a little progress

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 6 May 2018 1:16 pm    

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2018 2:11 pm     Restopration

Now that's a real RED BELLY!