The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Newbie: Old MSA Classic XL info
Hyram Ballard

New Zealand
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 3:08 pm    

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and a complete novice on pedal steel so I’m casting this out to see if anyone can shed some light on the guitar I have just purchased but have yet to take delivery of.

First, a bit about me. I play guitar, mandolin, bass, dobro and lap steel. I’m not great but I get paid now and again to do it and I have recordings out in the wild (one of which was nominated for Best Folk Album of the Year 2012 in New Zealand.) Twenty years ago a good friend of mine, Winnie Winston, gave me a copy of his LP “Steel Wool” along with the companion pedal steel instruction book he published for it. He signed the book “If you ever want to learn what’s on the album.” Well, looks like that time has come!

I have purchased an MSA Classic XL S-12 with 5 pedals and 4 levers. I don’t have it yet and purchased it from photos only so who knows what I will end up with. Anyway, the questions I have are:

- Would anyone be able to tell me when it was made if I provide a serial number and other info. No doubt it has a history, particularly how it got to New Zealand!

- Knowing that Winnie played a 12 string, I’m wondering if I should start from scratch with his tuning and/or the Universal 12 E9/B6 tuning or stick to E9 to start. I will be getting a copy if his Oak book as well as the Steel Wool book. Opinions?

- Anything I should look out for, keep an eye on or take onto consideration when setting up/maintaining/playing the old MSA?

Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate the experience and knowledge of all you veteran players out there.

Hyram

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 8:53 pm     Newbie: Old MSA Classic XL Info

Hi Hyram, Welcome to the world of Steel guitar. My starting serious steel was a MSA Classic S10. Those old guitars are well built, But got to heavy in my older age. Turning 75 this fall.
Once you get the guitar get on the forum and post the serial No. Someone on the forum has what is left of MSA's records.
My suggestion would be set the guitar up using Winny Winston's copendent/tuning. To go full 12U tuning you need 7 pedals and 4 knee levers. Which would mean you would have to order and add parts right off and wait hoping to find the parts you needed.

After you have played the guitar and learn more about steel guitars in general and you want to go U12. You could get the parts rounded up and ready so that you could just change it over and right back to playing. Good Luck on the adventure and Happy Steelin.