The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Slide in Sierra Pickup OR THE TRAY COME ON HELPA GUY OUT
Will Brown

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 5:57 pm    

Hello I would like to buy a slide in sierra pickup it dosent matter Ohms or any thing else as long as it will fit in the sierra slide in modular or if you know any one who makes or sales them let me know. getting back to a good used on I will pay agood reasonable price for one email me at dobroman2010@yahoo.com with a picture and price thanks OR JUST THE TRAY I KNOW THER HAS TO BE SOME OUT THERE BUT ANY HELP APPERICATED THANKS

Last edited by Will Brown on 17 Apr 2018 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 2:11 am    

There have been several folks looking for those recently--myself included. I'm wondering if those trays might be something that George Piburn could make using his 3D printing setup. It would still take installation of the contacts for the pickup to solder to, but the tray itself looks like something that could be made with a 3D printer. George has already been fabricating reproduction bridges for Rickenbacker lap steels and things like that...

Dave

Will Brown

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 3:13 am     sierra

Dave I don't know but you would think as many sierra steels are out there. that it would be something some one would do. I mean your not going to get rich doing it but it would be a side product that a builder could have in their inventory to sale because they would sale I am sure.

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 8:53 pm     Sierra pickups

Hi Guys.

I asked for the same thing in a thread a few days back of yours Jim.
One member said to check with Jim Palenscar which I haven't done yet.

David and Will I agree with you.
3d printing seems like a really good way to go.
A site called shapeways has a compilation of people who do 3d printing and offer their services and products.

Doesn't seem like it would be a difficult task to make these little boxes. a small 3D printer could do the job I would think.

Will Brown

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2018 4:35 pm     sierra

T T T

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 10:15 am     Sierra shells

Will and Dave, I just received a note from Jim at SteelGuitars. He has two shells left. He wants $50 shipped per each.
I did not buy them as I do have one extra.
Very Happy Very Happy
Dick

Will Brown

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 11:17 am     sierra

Hello Dick thanks I just bought one thanks

David Ball

Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 1:47 pm    

Thanks Dick--I've PM'd Jim to hopefully buy the other!

Dave

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2019 8:59 am     sierra pickups and shells

Wanted to refresh this.
I let my shells and pups go with the Sierra S-10 some time back. Now I have the Sierra T-8 non-pedal.

Will, David, anyone that has a shell, do you think it could be 3D printed without being prohibitive cost wise?

Smile Smile Smile

David Ball

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2019 9:30 am    

Dick,

I think it could probably be 3d printed without too much trouble once you got it modeled in CAD. The dimensions of the slide-in portion of the mount are 1 5/8 x 4 1/8 with a slightly larger flange around the top.

I still have 3 10 string Sierra modular pickups and no Sierra guitar any more. One is a Danny Shields single coil 10.5k and 15k taps, one is a Lace tonebar, and the third is an old Chrome Lawrence 705. The latter two are pretty much press fit into the housings right now--not glued, but securely in place. I had used these for trying different pickups. At any rate, I really don't have a need for these any more and would probably sell them.

Dave

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2019 11:33 am     Sierra

Wow, well it looks as though Sierra did make a special size just for the 8 string pups. The 8 string slide in measures 1 5/8 x 3 1/2. The shells are not modified either which leads me to believe there are more 8 string shells/pups out there.

I asked if anyone knows about other non-pedal console style Sierras with 9 strings, i, 3, or 3 neck on another post, lots of lookers no replies.

David Ball

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2019 11:37 am    

Sorry I hadn't responded earlier--I had to find the box that my pickups were in, and I've been in the process of moving so stuff has a way of disappearing...

Pretty surprising that it's a special 8 string mount, given the low number of 8 string Sierras apparently out there, but heck they made 14 string modular pickups too. Probably not a whole lot more popular than 8 stringers at the time...

Dave

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2019 11:45 am     Sierra

Oh that's okay Dave. I see I typed 9 string, meant to say 8. I am kind of stoked to think I may own possibly the only triple neck 8 non-pedal console Sierra ever made.
Smile Smile

David Ball

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2019 12:24 pm    

It still should be fairly easy to 3D print a tray if you can draw it up in CAD. Otherwise, I think making just a mounting plate with the little dovetail piece on the bottom and electrical contacts would be easy to make and should work fine too.

Dave