The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  update 2:Franklin dual 10 string pedal steel cleaned up $14k
Joel Knutson

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 2:57 pm    

Sorry everyone about updates. It is my first time selling here. I was going to sell the Franklin on my own, but people on here listed the shop name (Rocktown music) and now because of emails to shop, I need to sell through the shop,hence 14k price ! I believe that is still a good deal. We have sold since 08 on ebay and have 100 % rating (including a Martin custom shop this week), I thought the players who would be on here would appreciate most. This is a very clean double neck (10 string) Franklin with case. Tuned today in e8 and c6. All the rods are great,knees, pedals work correct, oiled and ready. I am a part time guitar tech at a shop in Minnesota and gig for a living (six string)- and this is the best I have ever seen!I have not spent much time with it as I have been busy with kids blizzards and a way busy shop. It think it will sell fast based on calls and emails, and how I have seen the reactions on here, so don't wait/hesitate to email questions.

Last edited by Joel Knutson on 19 Apr 2018 8:41 am; edited 3 times in total

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 9:06 am    

A few more details would be helpful. When was it made? How many pedals and levers? Current copedent?

Alan Bidmade

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 11:20 am    

Good spot, b0b. Devil
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 12:30 pm    

it's THE HOLY GRAIL for crying out loud! what more do you need to know?!!?!!!

Winking

yes it would be nice to see the guitar set up with its legs & rods, see the underside, know the lever setup, maybe even hear a clip of The Holy Grail in action. I'm sure she's one sweet steel!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 12:46 pm    

Two pickups per neck is pretty rare...

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 12:57 pm    

Very nice guitar. Joel I see you joined the forum just a couple of days ago - are you a steel tech or Spanish guitar tech? Where did this guitar come from? Thanks!

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 1:17 pm     Yup

What Abe sez, Joel. Smile And plenty of helpful suggestions up top here. If there's a buyer from this Forum looking for details,yup.. we want to get you a hookup, of course! Trust..but Verify.,sez a famous phrase from recent history..
Sooo..tell up the "Grail's" history. Inquiring "Greeks" wish to know. Don't hold back..the serial # is an indicator too. GLWTS BTW

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 3:11 pm     3 Days ago

I saw this 3 days ago somewhere else, but can't remember where it was?
Now three days later it's resurrected here! And only $12,000.00 Rolling Eyes
I'd comment on it but too busy praying to the latest holy grail. Shocked Whoa!
Ommmm Franklin, The Father, The son and The holy hot licks (Repeat ten times)....
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 19 Apr 2018 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 5:26 pm     Franklin ??

Smile Whoa! Great steels, but i am a little causues (nervous ) on this one with out more info.. good luck brothers !Happy Trails. CAA
!
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 4:20 pm    

Glad to see the update, Joel. And by speaking with PF jr., it really brings it into focus. I would imagine this is a consignment, and PF might just be familiar with who this one was originally built for...but that is just a guess. Thot they outlawed blizzards in MN!!? Very Happy
Thx again! Jon Z.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 4:57 pm     Franklin D-10

Joel; it looks like you have a Franklin D-10 with 9 floor pedals & 7 knee levers, the front neck is an E9th tuning & the back neck is a C6 tuning. the double pickups are very rare but an acquired taste, not really a necessity but a nice option. Since you aren't familiar posting on the forum try to get better close up pics and include one of the serial number. Just so you know Paul Franklin's father Paul SR. made every guitar himself and knows exactly who they were built for and also where they usually end up. The serial number will be a key factor to selling this instrument, it will be traced for verification. If someone can tell you what the copedant is ( what the pedals and knee severe do on this guitar because they can be very different from each other ) that will also help your sale. As for someone telling you what it's worth or the price can only go down etc...you're in the ball park but be careful you don't get greedy. The person that buys this guitar will be very articulate in checking every detail before they put out that kind of cash so make sure it's setup properly and everything is as you are stating here. Best of luck, looks like a winner!

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 9:15 pm    

Pictures are essential. Clear and detailed. Get some help from someone who knows about pedalsteels to describe function and condition. Clem Schmitz is in Minnesota and well as Williams guitars. Those guys are great and will be able to give you the information you need.

You have a very rare and valuable instrument there and an extremely small and notoriously fussy market !

Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2018 12:26 am     Franklin D10

Very Happy Being broke and living in a 5th, with very bad GUITAR AQUISTION SYNDROME (3 STEELS N 9 6 -3 STRING GUITARS) HAVE DONT HAVE THE MONEY OR THE SPACE FOR THIS WELL BUILT STEELS. IT 2ND OR 3RD IN MY LIST TO BUY, LOL
RAY MONTEE's 4 neck is 1st, lol.. But the 26k is know where in site. Should sell fast as Franklins do.
Goid luck CAA Very Happy Whoa! Very Happy
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Michael J Thomas

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2018 3:09 pm     Serial

What's the serial number ? I have a very similar one 8 pedals 8 knee early 80s D10 with single pickups I may sell at some point. The dual pickup ones have always intrigued me

Joel Knutson

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 10:18 am     Sorry for delays on reply for Franklin pedal steel....

First let me say, If you are very interest in the Franklin, Please email for fast response,as much as I like the forum-I can not be on all the time. The Ser/num is 069. As for those who think it is a scam... well it is now for sale at Rocktown music in St.cloud Mn but can be sold privately here. The store has the highest Bbb rating A+, 100% ebay rating (rocktown320). I have not seen a store with better Google ratings going back to 08'.
We are the top Peavey,Washburn and Guild dealer in Mn. Not mention many dealer in over 50 other brands (300+ new in stock, 40 vintage including a 39'Martin soon to be listed). We have had a state certified guitar tech since 09'.... While I have played/owned/repaired steels for 30 years I'm sure many of you know more. Here it's pic with me and the many laps we have for sale...

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 11:04 am    

Serial number is close to mine. I have S/N 65.