The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rest in Peace, Charlie Vaughn
Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2018 4:10 pm    

It is with great sadness that we say good-bye to Charlie Vaughn. He was a kind man, a great steel player, and friend to many!
Charlie touched so many players, fans, and friends with his music, and in 2016, he was presented the
Georgia Steel Guitar's Legend Award. Read more about his life on his Legend page at http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com/CharlieVaughn.htm and George Britt's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/lowell.opryho…/ for more information and updates regarding his Memorial.
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Tommy Dodd

Acworth, Ga., USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 2:39 pm    

When I first moved to Atlanta in the late 70's I went around to all the studios looking for session work. (I had several years of studio experience by that time.) And, everyone told me, IF they ever needed a steel guitar part, they would call Charlie (or Porky as some people called him). It wasn't too long before I met Charlie and he welcomed me into the steel guitar community of Atlanta. We became friends and continued that relationship for over 40 years, until his death last week. He was always cordial, kind, and sincere about his friends and family. RIP Charlie, you will be missed greatly.

There will be a memorial service for Charlie April 21, at 2:oopm at the Lowell Opry House in Carrollton, Ga. Here's a link with more details about that event.

https://www.facebook.com/events/425315391242157/

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 10:46 am    

Yep, it was sad news to hear about Charlie. Like Tommy we have been friends for, let's see, probably 50 years now. I have not seen him since 2016 when he came to one of the Georgia shows, but I know he had suffered for quite some time. Rest in peace Charlie Vaughn
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 6:33 pm    

As a kid in the early 1970's I knew of the big six steel guitar players down in Atlanta. Mac Atcheson, Garland Nash, Shorty Boyd, Vern Kendrick, Gene Still (who I knew because he and my dad had played together in the the 1950's) and Charlie. I am proud I got to know Charlie and we became friends over the past 15 years or so. A soft spoken kind man. The last time I saw him was last year. He came to the Lowell Opry House (where he had had to retire from because of hearing loss) and sat on the front row in front of me smiling for the whole show. We had a great visit at intermission and after the show.

R.I.P. My friend.

Bill Nicholson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2018 12:39 pm     Charlie Vaughn - RIP

I have known Charlie since late 1969 or early 1970, not long after I had purchased my first steel guitar. Charlie was working at the Music Mart and I went there from Hiawassee to look at Amps, etc. When Charlie learned that I was learning to play steel, he spent the entire afternoon with me...barely helping any other customers (as Wayne Stowers also noticed). At that time, I had a small steel bar, about the size of your little finger or smaller, and Charlie would not let me out of the store without buying a decent bar to play with. He was going to give it to me if I couldn't buy it. He showed me a steel lick that afternoon that I remember to this day.

Charlie played with that sweet Sho-Bud tone that so many of us admired. We lost contact with each other for a number of years but I was so pleased that we got together again at some of the Ga Steel Guitar Association meetings. He was a great guy. RIP.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2018 7:41 pm    

Charlie always had a kind word for everyone he spoke to. When listening to young (beginning) players, he made it a point to lift their spirits with supportive conversation. Rest in peace, Charlie, you will be missed.