The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Couple Questions About My MCI
Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 8:38 pm    

Hi all, I'm new to 10 string pedal steel and just purchased this 1986 3x5 MCI Arlington. I have a couple questions about the changer.

1) What is the smaller access opening on the left for? It has a 3 hole plate behind it, but that doesn't seem to be connected to anything that would pull a string sharp or flat Confused

2) With a 3 sharp/3 flat changer, I'm wondering how someone would decide which of the 3 positions to use? For example, would the top position have a more pronounced sharp/flat range than the bottom? Why would you choose to connect to 1 position versus the others?

Thanks!

[/img]

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 9:27 pm     Psg

Extra (#11) spot in the pic is used to fine tune a half stop. Usually on the 2nd string. D# to D and then it should drop down to a C# using the #2 tuning nut. Tune the #5 B to a C# w/pedal #1 and then just tune the 2nd string to C# w/KL'er engaged fully. My last MCI was like this.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2018 7:14 pm    

Dennis, there should be a pull rod with nylon tuner thru it connected to a bell crank on second string lower. As Billy said, then you can adjust the feel for a half stop.

Also, each hole in the changer finger gives you a different ratio in travel. With the guitar sittin upright, the closer to top of guitar hole you use, the shorter the travel for pedal or knee lever. Pulls and lowers can be balanced out better this way.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2018 9:01 pm    

Hey Henry, Good to see you back on the Forum. Hope you are improving. J.R.

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 6:39 am    

Thanks to Henry and Billy for clearing that up Smile

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2018 7:12 pm    

Dennis,
Nice, clean steel. The higher up you go on the changer the stiffer the pedal feel but, the more pitch change you'll get. Just the opposite on the bell crank holes. The further up you go, the lighter the feel but the less pitch change you will get. RP

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2018 6:01 am    

Just to clarify what Ron said, since I'm used to looking at guitars upside down, the further way from the changer axle the pull rod is placed, the less pitch change for the same amount of movement but the easier it is and the opposite for the bell crank- the further away from the cross shaft the pull rod is placed, the more pitch change is experienced but more pressure is needed to achieve the change. Combining these two principals one can better "time" the changes allowing for each change to start at the same time.