The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Freebird
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 5:01 pm    

I've just been asked to learn the slide guitar parts on this song for a gig on Saturday. I guess I'll use an overdrive pedal and play it on PSG.

BUT, I thoroughly hate this song. You have to smoke a lot of weed to think this is good music. Supposedly the doctor throwing the party has asked for it, and he's a big tipper.

This is blood money. It's putting me in a bad mood.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 5:54 pm    

I feel for ya.

Let me guess...they expect you to cover the keyboard parts, too.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 6:20 pm    

Many years ago I was working for a short time in Ventura, Ca. and went to a club that I cannot remember the name of now but a Hot Club. OK, Now I remember it was owned by Johnny & Joanie Mosbey who had some hits long ago. A good dance club and a good house band. The steel player one night did his version of FREEBIRD that just raised the rafters. I just stopped dancing in front of him and watched and listened. It was a once in a lifetime performance. So Paul, Open your mind and get into it because it can be a good steel song. Can anyone tell me the name of that club? This would of been mid to late 80's. Just came to me, Bandara Club,(sp)? J.R.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 7:29 pm    

I'm more of a Tuesday's Gone guy myself, but I would look at it like, this will be be fun to work up and play on Pedal Steel for one gig.
I am guessing they mainly just want you to play the Intro, which is clean slide guitar playing (no distortion).
Let the guitars take it away at the end (or bring a distortion pedal for that part and go all Robert Randolph on 'em?!).
Have fun with it! Smile

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 7:58 pm     Good Ol Freebird.

I just play it on guitar and never get any complaints. I set in front of my amp, turn on the Keeley Compressor, Red Dirt Overdrive and let it just get on the edge of feed back and sustain. Works for me.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 9:31 pm    

The overdrive pedal sounds terrible, but the organ pedal seems to work. The guitar player is going to do all the hot licks at the end. I hope this is just a one gig song.

Kyle Everson

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 1:18 am    

I think of things like this like an engineer might: "how do i efficiently get to the solution to this problem?"

When I was playing the clubs a decade ago (which I still do weekly), and learning the instrument, I had to play in bands with people my age or younger (I'm 34 now, so think early 20s). I was forced to play steel in a way that fit songs like "Life In The Fast Lane" (where I had to cover the slide gtr solo) or "Rosanna," (covering keys parts). Not to mention Snoop Dogg or Ludacris. I'm serious; we actually included a Luda song in our set tonight.

What I learned was that this instrument is not limited by anything but our imagination. Treat this challenge as a gift, as well as a learning experience. I can guarantee you will be glad you did.

Last edited by Kyle Everson on 13 Apr 2018 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 6:06 am    

Kyle's advice is right on the money, if you can bring yourself to actually learn the actual parts, not just the head...it's harder than it sounds..so is Sleepwalk, I sang Dixie, Statesboro Blues, Layla etc.

If you really don't want to do it and don't have to go, maybe there's another player who'd love that opportunity.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 7:21 am    

You’re a pro. You can still hate the song, but keep in mind that the big tipper guy you are playing it for really loves it.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 4:09 pm    

Not likely to be the last time you have to learn something you don’t enjoy playing.

While I might feel the same way about having to play it, this is the business we’ve chosen.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 4:37 pm     Freebird

I remember playing it years ago. I used some delay and lots of reverb. No distortion. Went over real well when ever we played it. I always enjoyed adding PSG to songs that did not originally use it. It was a real eye opener to guys in groups I played with. It was a crowd pleaser also. I remember putting PSG in a lot of Seger tunes years ago. I remember band leaders years ago would tell me to play only on the slow tunes. I remember stealing a ride in a up tempo, rock song. The guys were so impressed that they would insist that I play a lead some where in every song no matter what!!!!

Jerry Korkki

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 5:51 pm    

All songs are just chords and melody. You don't have to like the lyrics, the singer or the band, but it's always a good idea to do the best of your ability with the chords and the melody. If not, you might not sound so good. There are many songs that are not really bad but just overplayed. You hear them all the time. Well, I wish I'd have written one of those but I haven't so at least I can try to sound like I did.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 6:54 pm    

J R Rose wrote:
Many years ago I was working for a short time in Ventura, Ca. and went to a club that I cannot remember the name of now but a Hot Club. OK, Now I remember it was owned by Johnny & Joanie Mosbey who had some hits long ago. A good dance club and a good house band. The steel player one night did his version of FREEBIRD that just raised the rafters. I just stopped dancing in front of him and watched and listened. It was a once in a lifetime performance. So Paul, Open your mind and get into it because it can be a good steel song. Can anyone tell me the name of that club? This would of been mid to late 80's. Just came to me, Bandara Club,(sp)? J.R.

JR, I bet it was the Dan-Bar. My friend Donna Stokes sang there many times.

The 80's in Southern California was a blast! If you had a steel guitar, could press A&B and a couple of knees you could be busy several nights a week. Then there were the good players, ha! Not me.

Paul, I agree with JR and others. Make it your own, have fun, then you get to play the good stuff.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 7:31 pm    

Thank You Dan. That would be it, Dan-Bar. It was really a nice club with a nice dance floor. Went their a lot for the three months I was in town. J.R.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 7:34 pm    

Geez guys. I've been playing for almost 50 years. Do you really think this is the first time I had to play a song that I didn't like? I was just venting. I thought some of you would get a kick out of the situation. I don't need a lecture about what it means to be professional.

I've had to play Ackie Breakie Heart, Sweet Home Alabama, Louie, Louie, and every other sucky, fluffy, overplayed song ever written. But in all that time no one has ever actually said let's do Freebird.

If this band makes this song a regular on the set list, there will be an opening for a steel player in Nor Cal. There is no reason to play crappy music. There are so many good songs to choose from. Why pick from the bottom of the barrel?

Bob Bestor

Ashland, OR
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 7:41 pm    

You should be thankful. The dude could have requested Stairway to Heaven. Very Happy

Kyle Everson

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 8:07 pm    

Paul Sutherland wrote:
Geez guys. I've been playing for almost 50 years. Do you really think this is the first time I had to play a song that I didn't like? I was just venting. I thought some of you would get a kick out of the situation. I don't need a lecture about what it means to be professional.

I'll take the bait.

Paul, I did not mean to insinuate that you were not experienced or professional. I was just commenting, for others that might be reading this thread, that when you play in a band, you don't always get to play songs you like. I was merely offering up a solution; and, more importantly, encouragement to others to not dismiss things just because they're not fun at first. Sorry I didn't get the joke.

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 8:53 pm    

I didn't really appreciate Freebird until I heard this story and rendition. It's really a beautiful song, just overdone in unimaginative ways.
https://youtu.be/st12ILtoesc

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 9:08 pm    

There should be a song about playing songs that we can’t stand. Call it...Take This Song And Shove It.

Last edited by Fred Treece on 14 Apr 2018 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2018 6:32 am    

Paul,
I’m sorry if my comments came off as lecturing , just making my observations. As this is a forum, sometimes the replies are for the benefit of the group as well as the OP.

You’ve been at this much longer than I have, and don’t need my advice.

Let us know how it works out for you. We all learn from each other.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2018 6:59 am    

Guys, it was the Ban-Dar.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2018 8:43 am    

Skip Edwards wrote:
Guys, it was the Ban-Dar.

At the risk of slipping way off topic, I have to say I don’t get this comment, Skip. Confused

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2018 8:59 am    

Fred, earlier in the thread JR & Dan were trying to remember the name of a club that used to be in Ventura CA.
They almost got the name right, but I remember it well. Sorry for the confusion.

Getting back to the topic, I'm certainly no fan of Freebird. But hey, sometimes you play & sometimes you work...

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2018 9:02 am    

I think it's great all these people reached out to be encouraging & helpful to you...it's what the forum is all about. Maybe write Bob about a venting section or at least start your post off that way next time because I've been playing a long time too & I want to see the pedal steel guitar be recognized as an instrument played by a musician, not just a steel guitar limited to traditional country music only...it's both but not with your attitude. This is not a lecture, just a humble opinion!... Good day Sir!....crap indeed!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2018 9:05 am    

Okay Skip, thanks. I thought I migh have been missing some weird inside reference to a middle eastern sultan whose name is hidden in the meaning of the word Freebird.