The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel/Electric: same rig, same gig. Where to put it all
Shawn Brett

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 11:08 am    

So I'm sure there's a number of people here that are playing both electric guitar and steel during a gig. My question is how do you arrange all your gear?

I just started pedal steel about a month ago and am ready to start bringing it out to a few gigs. I'll be running both into a Kemper amp so will have to A/B between the two guitars. We use in-ears so no amp or wedge to position anywhere. I'll be playing guitar probably 90% of the time (at least for now).

Do you park your steel behind you? Stay seated at the steel? Hop up when it's time for the electric?

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 11:39 am    

My biggest problem switching between guitar & steel at a gig is that I'm usually crammed in tight so it's hard to find a place to stand & play guitar.
But I do not like to play guitar sitting behind the steel, so I do stand. Usually to the left of my steel so I can use the same vocal mic.

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 2:40 pm    

I do double duty in two bands but where/when I sit differs.

Band 1: I stand 80% of the time, to the right of my steel (I am stage left) but I have a standing vocal mic and one at my steel. I sit down when I need the steel and then stand back up when I don't.

Band 2: I sit at my steel and play both on every song so standing doesn't make sense here. Single vocal mic at my steel.

Good luck!

Andy

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 7:33 pm     Where I Sit or Set.

I stay seated all the time. Back away from the steel for guitar. We never have a set list, so I’m swapping back and forth all the time. One song could be Hendrix, the next one Ernest Tubb, so I would wear myself out getting up and down.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 4:11 am    

An amp behind me, ( fairly close) an AB Morley switch sitting on top of the amp, (hand controlled) Steel in front of me,( duhh) Guitar on stand to my left. I stay seated. We work off a set list, generally, so I know in advance whats next, or sometimes, whats NOT next ! It's not a big deal.

I don't take up that much room. I've been doing double duty for 40 years, it's old hat.

If I am singing a song, I may stand with the 6 string, if I am in a standing kinda mood, otherwise I stay seated.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Terry Gann

Overland Park, Kansas
Post  Posted 4 May 2018 7:11 am    

I'm in a situation much like the posts above. Steel one song, 6 string the next. I'm always scrambling to get psg picks off, grab a conventional flatpick. Then reverse procedure to get back behind the steel in time for next tune. I could play the 6-string with the thumbpick I guess... it just feels so awkward.
psgs: Fessenden SD-10, Nashville LTD SD-10, lapsteels: Fouke Indy Rail, OAHU Tonemaster, Roy Scmeck. amps: Fender Steelking, Boogie Nomad, Marshall TSL, Bogner Alchemist, POD Pro, Boogie Studio Preamp. Pedals... lots and lots of pedals!

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 4 May 2018 7:28 am     Steel/Electric: same rig, same gig. Where to put it all

when i did double duty i played 1 or 2 sets on steel than switch to 2 sets on guitar. i stood behind my steel off to the left so could sing harmony had two amps Confused but i switch to a peavey Vegas 400 amp i channe for guitar one Chanel for steel

p.w

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 4 May 2018 7:44 am    

I have the guitar on a stand to my left and slightly behind. When I need to play guitar, I get up, grab the guitar, and go join the front line, standing.

We have arranged our setlists to minimize instrument changeovers and strategically inserted some song introductions for our singer to give while we're getting resettled quickly.