The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New D'Addario NYXL Strings from The SG Forum
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 6:11 pm    

I put these strings on a few days ago and made some sound samples of them using a Shure SM-57, tube amp, amp reverb, my Excel Superb and a pot pedal. They are a bit on the bright side sorta like stainless steel, have crystal clear harmonics (don't all new strings!) and have real accurate gauging. I tend to keep strings for a few years so these will get a lot of miles on them.

Hear Sound Sample 1

Hear Sound Sample 2

Hear Sound Sample 3

Hear Sound Sample 4

Hear Sound Sample 5

Hear Sound Sample 6
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2018 8:12 am    

The first one sounded a little brittle but the rest sounded good. Very Happy
Erv

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2018 9:34 am    

I must be a brittle player Mr. Green . The strings are not as warm or mellow sounding as the nickel ones. Of course I could adjust the EQ a bit but given that the strings may last longer than less expensive ones, I think they are a good replacement for the stainless steel ones I've been using. Like some other people, I would prefer they be packaged individually.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Greg Johnson

Greencastle, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 5:23 pm     Love em

I put my first set on a month ago or about 20 gigs. They are still sounding great and hold tuning very well. I also wish they were individually packed and cost a little less but a great set of strings. I
Quilter TT
Evans FET 500
Fender Twin 65 RI
American Takimine

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 11:37 am     Psg

Sample #2 is the tone I use. The strings are good, I've used two sets but went back to the Live Steel Strings. I prefer sets w/ numbers.

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2018 8:39 am    

Sample #2 is my choice.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2018 6:06 am    

Thanks for doing that Greg.
First your picking is great.

Now, I can't really tell any difference between the sound bytes. Maybe if you played the same phrase on each one.

The kind folks at D'A gave me a set of these new strings at the Dallas Show.

I put them on my Emmons a couple of weeks ago and the main thing I noticed were that they "seemed" to get stable a little quicker than some other strings.

They sound good, but I don't hear enough difference in the sound to pay double the price of, say George L's or others.

I like the sound of fresh strings and change mind pretty regularly, especially if I have played an outside gig. (killer)

When changing complete sets, the packaging is fine, however, for me, I change all the unwound strings about once a month and change the wound strings every other time.
So I think buying their strings individually would get quite expensive.

For me, I personally like Stainless Steel strings. The tone seems to suit me better. I used nickle for years before I ever tried a stainless, but then I never went back.
Understanding that the unwound strings are all the same anyway.

I guess that I am just OLD school. Once I find something that I really like, I tend not to sway from side to side. This way I know exactly what I can expect every time I change strings.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2018 11:56 am    

The sound samples all use the same strings and equipment. I did vary my string attack and pick placement from sample to sample. I like the mellow tone of nickel strings but the long tone life of the stainless wins for me. Seriously, I just change strings when they break or when I want to try something new. The downside of that is that harmonics suck old strings. Thanks for all the comments and checking out my samples. We've all heard great sounds from all different brands of strings!