The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ** Fender ** AMP
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 6:22 pm    

Question please :: Has anyone ever tried a Fender Frontman 212R solid state amp with their steel guitar ? The 100 wt . series ? If so what do you have to say about it ? Thanks . Gary .

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 2:04 am    

Gary, like many things, it's not bad in some scenario's , but what are you looking for ?

IF you are seeking a primary use amp, this is probably not it. If it was a stellar amp for regular duty use we would all own 1 or 2 already !

I compare it to the 92 watt Fender SS amp that I have, Deluxe 112 plus. It's ok to a point, very good for practice or even a small room but if you have to push it, it ain't budging !

I've plugged into one of the Frontman 212's and it comes across to me as very bright , brittle, sterile, but that may work in certain scenario's.

We read the specs on these amps, 100 watts WOW !!! thats like a Marshall Stack ! Laughing Then we plug it in and find it's more like a student amp from the Sears catalog

It's 100 watts, well ok, but wheres the other 90 , it seems like they are missing ? Very Happy

We spend half our time trying to play like Buddy, Paul, Doug, Lloyd etc... then when we realize thats never going to happen we spend the other half of our time searching for the next best amp, again ! Very Happy

These low end Fender amps are ok, they can serve a purpose but NOT the big picture. Thats why we still use Nashville 400's , 112's, Twin Reverbs etc. We may very well settle for something a bit less but at the end of the day we really do know something is missing !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 5:13 am    

I agree with everything Tony wrote. I see these amps selling for about 200. There are lots of Peaveys in that price range that would be better. Any of the Bandits, Special 130 etc, or maybe the Roland Cube 60 or 80.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 7:19 am    

Years ago I bought a FM100H head for my pedal steel guitar. It was cheap, and delivered a clean Fender sound. I had a 2-12 EV cab I had built, and with a reverb tank swap, I got along just fine. I later built myself a Twin clone, and sold the head to a guy for almost as much as I paid for it, (About $200).

Bob Russell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 10:01 am     Re: ** Fender ** AMP

Gary Preston wrote:
Question please :: Has anyone ever tried a Fender Frontman 212R solid state amp with their steel guitar ? The 100 wt . series ? If so what do you have to say about it ? Thanks . Gary .

They're cheap and loud and not too heavy, but not so great for tone. I used one for steel for a while and thought it sounded like a bag of nails. The main advantage was that I could leave it in the band trailer and not care what happened to it. Very Happy

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 1:57 pm    

[b] I was just wondering about this amp . I have two Nashville 400 amps and a Fender Vibrosonic Steel amp with a 15'' orange JBL Signature speaker . i use one or two of these depending on the venue . i bought this 212R , for a good price . I have never plugged my steel into it yet . i was just wondering what it would sound like with my Lexicon Processor . Thanks for your input . Oh i know it wont kick like my other amps already . It may just turn out to be a practice amp , who knows ?

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 4:38 pm    

Just for the record , I have three other steel amps . After messing around with it , adjust the controls , I found settings that makes the Frontman 212R sound very close to my Fender Vibrosonic Steel amp that has the factory 15” JBL . Tube amp 100 Wt . I’m sure it can still be adjusted a little better . I’m liking what I hear from a lighter amp . May have to put better speakers in it . Makes a great practice amp , may hold up in a smaller venue also . I’m getting lazy as I get older I suppose . Looking for something lighter . Just my thoughts if you don’t mind ,, it sounds much better than the Nashville 112 amps . [/b]

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 8:00 am    

I had one for a while. I measured the frequency response because it seemed light on bottom end. It stops at about 100 hz. Very bright and loud amp. The design is similar to the deluxe 90 and 112se, as Tony indicated. There is a "muting" circuit that can be problematic. (I think it was intended to combine overload protection and getting rid of weird noises on power down.)

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 2:56 pm    

Very Happy Just got back from my buddies house . Took my Frontman 212R Fender amp to his house . He is very good with working on amps to get the best tone from them . I must say i invested in a good sounding amp .i'm sure some will disagree with me and that's expected .You aren't going to believe it but this amp now sounds like my Vibrosonic 100 wt . with the 15'' JBL in it . My tube amp . I never expected it to sound this good and im very very surprised and well pleased . In my opinion it sounds better and more clearer than my Nashville 400 amp . My buddie adjusted all the controls and i am surprised how great it sounds now . Cant wait to play it in our 6 piece band . i was thinking i would replace the two 12'' speakers but it sounds awesome as it is . ok nugh said .

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2018 5:10 pm     212R amp Uprate

Update on my Fender 212 R amp . Played through the 212R this weekend with our group . We have a 5 piece band : The drummer was across the platform from me and after the concert he told me that he was worried he wouldn’t be able to hear me . Nothing was miked . He said along with the rest of the band , the Steel Guitar and the 212R amp cut through like a “ champ “ ! It was clear and clean, sounded awesome !! I would recommend this amp 100% . I understand they don’t make them anymore. I only use the left channel along with my Lexicon processor . I set the volume on the amp around 5 and on my Lexicon about the same : all the volume I needed and then some . Great amp for the money ! It’s all in how you set your equipment , is all I can say .

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2018 9:47 am    

We all know in a huge venue the amp has to be miked . If you don’t mike a Nashville 400 all you are doing is over riding the rest of the band . Common sense tells me that . The Fender Frontman has more tone and is a clean sounding amp with Lexicon Processor than any amp it’s size in my opinion ! The 112 Nashville doesn’t compare to the clean and loud sound I’m getting with my Frontman 212 R . Hey I have two Nashville 400 amps and. Fender Vibrosonic 100 wt . Tube amp one of the good ones with a 15” JBL D-130 speaker I will compare my 212 R to any of them . And don’t have to brake my back carrying it . Say what you will , I love it .