The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar Magic: Hawaiian Style
Tod Johnson

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 4:37 pm    

Aloha Hawaiian music lovers! As I anticipate going to the Maui Steel Fest in a week or so (missed it last year due to the gout) I'd like to ask the fans of this album, "Steel Guitar Magic: Hawaiian Style" if any happen to know the following.

1.) Tunings used; and

2.) Which parts are played by Billy and Barney respectively. I realize that it may not be easily conveyed in print, but thinking if I begin to know who's who, I'll eventually get to know by the sound.

I got a handle of who's playing what on a couple, I think Rolling Eyes

Any info would be much appreciated.
Mahalo

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 5:03 pm    

I'm listening with all ears, I discovered that album a few months prior and I always kind of wondered, when is it Barney, when is it Billy...my very loose understanding of Barney Isaacs style makes me think I can recognize his very rich chordal style, but I'm not sure. I was learning Beyond the Reef in my second (ever) lesson, and I think I threw in some bits from this album with more chordal complexity "where the seas" being on 12th, 13th frets on the lower strings of C13 tuning, and my kumu (Alan Akaka) said, hey, that sounds like Hawaii Calls! I'm assuming Barney, but, really, I'm only guessing from what I've listened to at this point, I don't have a good "steel radar" yet to pick out various players from sound alone.

Also I've been trying to maintain a modicum of fitness here lately, and running with it as a soundtrack. It may be more relaxed than most people prefer for workout music, but it works for me! It's a lovely album and the first recordings to make me feel vaguely tolerant/fond of the Don Ho Tiny Bubbles / Pearly Shells numbers.

Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 5:27 pm    

Barney Isaacs: (high to low)
C13: E C A G E C Bb C
B11: E C# A F# D# B F# B (tunes D# to E and B to C# for “Maui Chimes”...i.e., A6)
E13: E C# G# F# D B G# E

Billy Hew Len:
A6: E C# A F# E C# A E on a pedal steel

Billy and Barney have distinctly different tone, attack, and vibrato. To give you an idea...

“Lovely Hula Hands” (AABA format):
Intro tag - Billy
AA - Barney
B - Alec Among (vibes)
A - Barney
B - Billy
A - Barney
Ending tag - Billy

“Blue Hawaii”
Rubato intro - Billy
AA - Barney
B - Alec
A - Billy
B - Barney
A - Billy

“Hawaiian Paradise”
Intro tag - Billy
AA - Barney
B - Billy
A - Barney
B - Ohta-San (ʻukulele)
A - Barney

Of course, whoever isn’t playing lead is playing fills.

I hope this helps. Aloha.

Tod Johnson

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 9:15 pm    

Nic - I really like the Pearly Shells interpretation as well. You have a great kumu. Do you take his Skype lessons? I finally got a decent internet connection and would like to ask Alan about Skyping if I get a chance at the fest.

Jeff - Yes it helps immensely and an honor to get such a legend’s reply. I’m thinking your post may give me enough to get the sound of the two nailed, as you mentioned about the tone, attack and vibrato. Lovely Hula Hands is my go to song so I'm especially glad you included that particular cut. Having met Billy Hew Len I really feel the mana from his recordings, one reason that I want to distinguish between the two. Any specifics on which songs Barney Issacs plays exclusively in B11?

Mahalo for the replies.

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 5:47 am    

Thats great music!!!

I create a playlist if you like:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzX5jY02tK4ivwwE6HA4QLOkH2aG44-Ew

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 5:55 am    

Tod, yes, I take Skype lessons (wouldn't mind being in O'ahu though...it snowed here this weekend!), and have just a handful under my belt. Alan is a great teacher and full of lots of stories of the great players as he knew (and in some cases, was related to) many of them.

Mahalo nui Jeff! That helps me out as well, immensely. It also helps that each player is strongly panned in the stereo mix so once one can determine who is who, it is fairly easy to tell them apart hopefully. I'm also a bit chuffed that mostly by accident my Stringmaster T8 is tuned identically to the Barney Isaacs C13/B11/E13, albeit almost by accident, I settled on that E13 while trying for another tuning but not wanting to risk overtightening a string. And Billy played pedal A6? A Fender I assume? If I recall correctly basilh has a Fender 400 that once belonged to him. Anyway, thanks again, and maybe I'll see you play at the Aulani lu'au next March if you are still playing there on Saturdays!