The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Milkman Half and Half
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 1:58 pm    

I bought a used half and half on reverb.com, only to find out that its the guitar model and not the pedal steel model ! I thought there was only one half and half (well two if you count the 12" and 15"). Does anyone know if they are tonally different ? I don't mind if they are the same I can just change the speaker out, but if they are tonally different I'm going to have to have Tim mod it, or flip it, as I bought it to use with pedal steel

Tom Dillon

La Mesa, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 3:24 pm    

Karen,

I remember when the head came out before the combos, there were 3 versions. Bass, Steel and Guitar. In the Milkman site now, I only see the Steel and Bass versions listed. The difference between Guitar And Steel versions is:

- Steel has no tremolo and a 3 knob EQ (Treble, Mid, Bass) and 2 knob Reverb (Dwell, Blend)

- Guitar has a 2 knob EQ (Treble, Bass), a one knob Reverb control, and a 2 knob Tremolo control)

Both have the same 300W solid state amp section. I think the Guitar combo will probably work fine for steel, but I bet you'd rather have the Steel version. I would.

Here's an old demo video that may explain things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3h2O0-xsL8

I'd suggest contacting Tim Marcus through the MM site for the quickest answers.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 4:50 pm    

Why would you change the speaker ?

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 5:02 pm    

I would assume the speaker in the guitar version to be different than the pedal steel version, but I don't know... turns out the seller had a 3 day return policy so I will most likely return it and buy the steel one

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 5:26 pm    

Tim uses really nice speakers. I would use whatever is in there. Unless you don't like how it sounds.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 5:50 pm    

Thanks Bob I think I'm going to return it and grab a pedal steel one down the road. I'd rather have the mids control and reverb dwell. It was my mistake not doing enough research before hitting the buy button. I may go for the 15" speaker also. I think it'll be better with my Emmons guitars..

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 9:25 pm    

That mid control is pretty helpful ! It's funny but I may be moving from a 15 to a 12 in my H&H. That Telonics 15 that is in there just has no caricature. It works and I can't blow it out but it's pretty bland.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 2:54 am    

Well it looks like the guy is refusing to take it back even tho he had a 3 day return policy on it. In his defense it was completely my fault for not realizing there are two versions of the amp. I've emailed Tim to see if he can mod it to the steel version, or maybe I can trade it in for that version. I do want a mids control and I have no use for trem or bright switch. If not it may get posted here in the for sale section Oh Well

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 6:21 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
It's funny but I may be moving from a 15 to a 12 in my H&H. That Telonics 15 that is in there just has no caricature. It works and I can't blow it out but it's pretty bland.

Bob, I'm struggling with the same decision (same speaker, different amp). Not to hijack Karen's thread, but maybe this applies to MM amps too. My Telonics 15 has excellent clarity, range, string separation, and really cuts through the mix. For that reason I'm keeping it. But from where I sit (two feet in front of the amp) it can be too much. Is it too much to ask of a speaker to satisfy the player at close range, and sound good in the back of the room at the same time? I have another 15 inch speaker that is more pleasing to my ear for low-volume practice. But it does not project like the Telonics.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 8:54 am    

Tim's going to mod mine to the steel specific one for a very reasonable price. Thanks Tim !! Mr. Green

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 9:20 am    

I have a Telonics 15 inch speaker in my Telonics TCA 500 amp & could not be happier. It sounds great on stage as well as in the back of the room. Also, the amp has a great direct in for going through the house system when needed.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 12:22 pm    

Tommy Boswell wrote:
Bob Hoffnar wrote:
It's funny but I may be moving from a 15 to a 12 in my H&H. That Telonics 15 that is in there just has no caricature. It works and I can't blow it out but it's pretty bland.

Bob, I'm struggling with the same decision (same speaker, different amp). Not to hijack Karen's thread, but maybe this applies to MM amps too. My Telonics 15 has excellent clarity, range, string separation, and really cuts through the mix. For that reason I'm keeping it. But from where I sit (two feet in front of the amp) it can be too much. Is it too much to ask of a speaker to satisfy the player at close range, and sound good in the back of the room at the same time? I have another 15 inch speaker that is more pleasing to my ear for low-volume practice. But it does not project like the Telonics.

Tommy, Sounds like the Telonics is a keeper for you. I would just point the amp away from my head if it sounds to strident.

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 1 May 2018 4:16 am    

I have a Milkman H$H steel amp with 12 in for sale in the amp section. If anybody be is interested. I think it’s priced right.

Gibson Hartwell

Missoula, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2018 9:50 am    

Karen Sarkisian wrote:
Tim's going to mod mine to the steel specific one for a very reasonable price. Thanks Tim !! Mr. Green

Very cool. Tim is a good egg.