The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume pot rate of change?
Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 8:26 am    

What determines the rate of the change from inaudible to full volume in a volume control, e.g., a volume pedal with a potentiometer?

For example, let's say you have one that doesn't audibly increase the volume during the first third of its travel, then goes from quiet to maximum in the next third, and doesn't go any louder in the final third of its movement.

What causes this, and what can be done to spread out the volume increase over a wider range?

Thanks in advance,

--Al Evans

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 8:30 am    

Taper of the potentiometer.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 9:16 am    

Most volume control pots are logarithmic taper, since perceptions of loudness occur that way.
Using a linear taper pot for volume control, often exhibits the symptoms you describe.

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 9:43 am    

Bill A. Moore wrote:
Most volume control pots are logarithmic taper, since perceptions of loudness occur that way.
Using a linear taper pot for volume control, often exhibits the symptoms you describe.

I think you're right. I had assumed it was logarithmic, since it controls audio, but apparently I'm mistaken.

<shrug> That would explain it.

--Al Evans

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 10:00 am    

There are Linear (resistance) taper pots and Logarithmic (resistance) taper pots. There are also variants within the tapers.

"Audio" pots are logarithmic types. The old Allen Bradley (and Clarostat branded after they bought Allen Bradley) pots used in volume pedals was a "modified" logarithmic type. This is the reason the volume pedal pots sold today that are just a "logarithmic" do not work like the old Allen Bradley's did. I noticed a difference in an old Goodrich 120 Volume Pedal I have that had an Allen Bradley modified logarithmic pot that I finally had to replace with a new Dunlop volume pedal pot. It works but I'm not too thrilled with the taper in the pot.

Bill A. Moore

Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 12:01 pm    

Like Jack said, only there are different taper "L" pots. Some Fender circuits call for a "J" taper which has about 30% resistance at half travel vs std, "L" taper which is 10-15%.
I was once told the old volume pedal pots were "J" taper, which explains what Jack has experienced.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 12:13 pm     Volume pot rate of change?

My 120 has an Allen Bradley pot that is stamped made in Mexico. Is this a later and inferior pot to the originals made in the USA and is it most likely a J taper or modified J taper?

Bill A. Moore

Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 1:53 pm    

The only "J" taper pots I have purchased are for Fender amplifiers. I haven't attempted to locate one with a long shaft for a pedal.
https://www.tubesandmore.com/search/node/J%20taper?cats%5B0%5D=147

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 4:19 pm    

Here's an interesting article about a "better" volume control:
http://sound.whsites.net/project01.htm