The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jack Boles (Sho-Bud )
Lynn Owsley

Hendersonville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2018 2:28 pm    

Jack Boles passed away suddenly Sat.
Many will remember Jack from his many years at Sho Bud and his playing with the Homesteaders and Hank Williams Sr.
A visitation is Scheduled tomorrow
Monday Apr 9, 2018 1pm and service at 3pm
At Anderson Funeral Home in Gallatin , Tenn.

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2018 4:00 pm    

I remember his late night show after the Midnight Jamboree on WSM 650 AM, the Sho-Bud Showcase. Sympathies to his family.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2018 4:04 pm    

RIP. I remember listening to the Sho~Bud Showcase on WSM after the Midnight Jamboree when I was a kid hungry for all things steel guitar.

Tommy Minniear

Logansport, Indiana
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2018 4:37 pm    

Lynn, Thanks for passing along the information. This is a sad day and I offer my sincere condolences and sympathies to the Boles family and Jack's many friends. Steel guitar lost a good friend today.

A somewhat recent picture taken a few years back of Jack at Big Jim Vest's birthday party at the Bell Cove Club in Hendersonville, TN.

Last edited by Tommy Minniear on 12 Apr 2018 4:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

Rick Sharp

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2018 5:42 pm     re:Jacl

Me and Tommy gigged a lot with Jack. Every gig he burned up the guitar, sang his heart out and sawed that fiddle smooth in half. The only thing that even starts to fill this hole in my heart is to remember all the fun we had and the great music we made. He will be greatly missed. =-(

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2018 10:31 pm     Psg

Sho-Bud showcase intro song was " Red Wing," I think by Shot Jackson & Big E. 650-AM, Nashville. Always enjoyed Jack.

Bill Francisco

Decatur, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 4:39 am     Sad news

I played bass with Jack on some gigs back in the 70s
He was a really good guy!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 5:24 am    

RIP. I remember meeting him at the Sho-Bud store and the late night Sho-Bud showcase radio show.

JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 6:17 am    

Back in the day,we would listen to Jack on Sho-Bud show case radio show on are way home from a gig if we was close to home we would just sit in the car till it was over. It was great show for Steel players who was starved for information. Thank you Jack may you RIP.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 8:50 pm    

I remember him as a bigger than life character sitting behind the counter at the Sho-Bud store. As a shy 21 year old kid, I used to move on over close and listen to Jack talkin' and laughin' with people and thinkin' Wow, what a strange world this Nashville thing is. It was the first time I heard someone call someone else "Boss". Jack used it a lot. Honestly, I had totally forgot about Jack.
RIP, Jack. Thanks for the memory. RP

David Zornes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2018 8:30 am     Jack Boles

I remember speaking with Jack as I was a young man and a young musician in the early 80s. I was thinking about moving to Nashville and working out as a utility steel guitarist there. Jack was very helpful and gracious and taking his time to let me know of who he thought needed a steel man on the road. Jack can also be heard giving instructions on an early ShoBud steel guitar instructional album.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2018 9:12 am    

Jack was a big ole friendly man behind the counter at Sho-Bud, he was a friend to all especially steel guitar players.
Jack got me actually two jobs, a few hits with Lois Johnson and a while with Jay Lee Webb.
Those were the days and Jack was "The Man" RIP Jack.

Skip Cole

North Mississippi
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2018 9:43 am     Jack Boles

My condolences to his family and friends.I was able to get the radio station,barely,at about 2:00AM,after the Oprey. I
wish i had some of the programs,recorded.I remember 2 guys that Jack interviewed,were Buddy Emmons and Loyd Green.Thank,Jack,may God give you rest.

Skip

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 7:50 pm    

It might've been around '76, I was with the Wright Bros. Overland Stage Co. at that time. I don't really remember exactly how I managed to get the newly released "Cornfield Cowboys" album to Jack, but I did. I'd listened to the Sho-Bud show regularly, & honestly, the last thing I was expecting was to hear our record, but sure enough, Jack played it. Very cool moment.
My condolences to his family. RIP, Jack.

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2018 2:24 pm    

I AM GOING TO RELAY A PART OF JACK'S LIFE SOME MAY NOT KNOW. JACK CAME OUT TO THE FRESNO AREA ABOUT 1958 AND HE WENT TO THE CHURCH OF GOD OFFICE IN FRESNO AND BECAME A LICENSE MINISTER WITH THEM. THEY OFFERED HIM A LITTLE CHURCH IN TRAVER, CA, WHICH WAS QUITE SMALL. HE AND ANNE AND TWO SMALL KIDS LIVED IN THE PARSONAGE. HE WOULD TRAVEL TO OTHER COG'S IN THE STATE AND I TOOK MY GRETSCH, AND WE PROCEEDED TO TAKE OUR MUSIC TO OTHER CHURCHES TO HELP AUGMENT HIS SMALL SALARY IN TRAVER. WE FOUND A BASS PLAYER NAMED, KEN HENSLEY AND WE ENJOYED SOME GREAT TIMES. SOMEWHERE I HAVE A PICTURE OF THE THREE OF US IN MY THOUSANDS AND WILL TRY TO FIND IT.
THE PRESSURES OF MOUNTING DEBT FORCED JACK AND THE FAMILY TO PACK UP ONE NIGHT IN THE EARLY 1960 AND THEY RETURNED TO NASHVILLE.
IN THE SPRING OF 1973, I WAS IN NASHVILLE AND FOUND OUT HE WAS AT THE SHO-BUD STORE AND I WALKED IN AS HE WAS FINISHING A CIGARETTE. AFTER 13 YEARS, IT WAS GREAT SEEING HIM. HE AND ANNIE AND THE KIDS TOOK MY FAMILY OUT TO A PARK FOR A COUPLE HOURS, BUT I THINK HE AND SHE WERE ON THE VERGE OF GOING THERE SEPARATE WAYS.
ABOUT 2008, I SENT HIM AN EMAIL AND WE EXCHANGED A COUPLE OF YESTERDAYS, AND THAT WAS THE LAST WE CONNECTED UP. HE HAD A GREAT VOICE AND A SMILE THAT WOULD LIGHT A CANDLE AT THIRTY PACES.

Last edited by Gary Walker on 29 Apr 2018 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 8:02 pm    

Jack ~> Sho~Bud Showcase

W. C. Edgar

Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, L or R Coast Soon!
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 7:52 am    

There were countless nights Jack and the 'Sho-Bud Shocase' kept me awake driving home from a gig somewhere across the country.
I'd always listen to the tail end of the Ernest Tubb Midnight Jamboree and after that the Sho-Bud Shocase on WSM AM.
RIP Pal and thanks for all you did for pedal steel.
WC
1979 Peavey LTD
1980 Peavey Nashville 400
Goodrich L-120
Toured with Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson & more
wcedgar.com