The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Keeley Memphis Sun Reverb/Delay Pedal
Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2018 3:40 pm    

Anyone tried this with steel? The demos sound pretty good for guitar but not sure about for steel. Been looking at this and the Earthquake Dispatch Master. Would like to have reverb and delay both. Maybe go to an RV-3 or stick to my Behringer DR400 but would like something with a little more control and boutique is 'out of budget' for me. HOF stuff looks good but I don't want to fool with two pedals.

Robert Bowling

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2018 5:05 am     sun pedal

Skip, I don't own the pedal your asking about but, I did test one out at a guitar shop. In my opinion it was doing what it was designed for giving you the sound of sun recordings. But I didn't see it doing a clean reverb/delay pedal for steel. I was hoping for a dual purpose pedal when I tried it myself but found it lacking in that respect. I do want one for Scotty Moore, Carl Perkins six string stuff though. I opted to wait for a used one that still hasn't came along. Robert

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2018 6:53 am    

Have not tried the Keeley unit.
I used to have RV3 and thought the controls were too touchy.
Dispatch Master is much easier and user friendly.
Other than that tap tempo delay is the best if you can tap in between or during songs.
Delay sounds best in time with the music.
The better reverbs sound better but I don't use that much reverb.

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2018 9:37 am    

While watching this thread, it occurred to me that I really don't care much whether I use delay with steel or not - I do like a little slap back on 6 string for 'Chet' stuff but that's about it. I remember back to my 'glory' days when I had my red Webb (late 70's/early 80's) with the remote reverb and I could dial it in based on the song - that was the way I used reverb. I'm now leaning toward just a good reverb pedal (HOF, maybe?) for steel and using my DR400 just on guitar. I wonder if you could add a remote reverb knob to a pedal?

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 7:40 am    

I have the Keeley "Delay Workstation". It has both reverb and delay. You can really get lost in all the different sounds. There are many combinations of reverb and delay that can work with traditional country, just to fatten up the PSG sound a little. Then there are a whole bunch of combinations that could work with ambient PSG. Not so much into rock or blues, so never explored the Delay Workstation in those veins.

The only thing I do not like is there is are no options for saving presets.

Tim Sergent

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 4:32 pm    

I just got a Keeley Delay Workstation too. Only messed around with it for about 15 minutes when I first got it, but I really like it. It has tap tempo which I really wanted. If you don't need or want tap tempo you might wanna check out the Keeley Caverns