The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Remembering Al Bruno, Archie Francis, Rod Culpepper & many
LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2018 9:13 am    

Southern California Country Music Musicians are not the same these days like it was with these brothers and many others. ... R.I.P.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2018 1:35 pm    

Amen to that, brother Leo.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 7 Apr 2018 4:56 pm    

Tell it like it is, Leo.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 12:53 pm    

Tell it like it is brother Leo, I'm glad I was around in those days....... How 'bout..

Tony Treece
Art Sanchez
Billy Mize
Cliff Crofford
Red Simpson
Major Simpson
Teddy Bear
Hank Cockram
Princess Ramona
Billy Tonneson
Gene Davis
Jack Tucker
Johnny Davis
Danny Michaels
Sammy Masters
Jack Laux
Glen Garrison
and my old partner Robert G. Shamblin AKA Bobby Ray..

So many of our old compadres and fellow pickers have passed on it's almost impossible to name 'em all...JH

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 8:38 pm    

Tell it like it is Jerry

Jerry Cole Danny Martin Buddy Christie Bill Norman Kenny Pride Jimmy John Fumlinger Robert Dunaway Larry West Billy Smith Lou Martin Dave Austin
Bill Huffman

I bet you could add a lot more names Jerry?

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2018 9:18 pm    

Norm Cass (Kastner), Hoss Huffman, Marian Hall, Al Petty, Wayne Moore, Gib Guilbeau, Johnny Meeks, Garland Frady, Red Rhodes, Jerry Inman, Ron Still...

I hadn't thought of Princess Ramona in 50 years, but her image came back instantly! Thanks! Smile

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 1:45 pm    

Herb, how 'bout Ramona's husband Buddy Kay. Then there's Cindy Carson, Marie Laswell (my ex wife) and a bunch who's faces I see but can't remember their names. Carl cody is one if I didn't mention him already. And my old drummer Buddy Banks, I've heard rumors that he died but I can't confirm it. Also John Leighton, The Dancing Bear (from the Foothill Club), Teddy Wilds, Bonnie Price, Kenny Cox, Lee Ross, Biff Collie, the Squeakin' Deacon, Dick Haynes & "Frosty Harris" AKA Frosty the Show Man.....JH

Leo, do you know if our old Trumpet player Gino Cirriano is still living?......JH

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 2:16 pm    

Gene Hoover... one of the best guitar players I ever had the pleasure of working with, and a mentor to me...as well as someone who could make a Jazzmaster with a floating tremolo bar & a vp sound like Buddy on a wraparound. No BS...

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 2:24 pm    

Jerry Hayes wrote:
Lee Ross, Biff Collie, the Squeakin' Deacon, Dick Haynes & "Frosty Harris" AKA Frosty the Show Man.....JH

Larry Scott told me that he felt there was something in the KFOX building that had asbestos or something, because of all the DJs that came down with some form of cancer... all those you mentioned, plus Hugh Cherry.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2018 7:06 am    

Jerry,Gino Cirriano is gone too. I still talk to his old (Chicken Bones) friend, Ms. M.

Buddie Hrabal

Arlington,Texas USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2018 8:52 am    

I didn't work in California but I think Bobby Wayne was from there?

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 6:07 pm     Picker

Jimmy Bryant, Ralph Mooney, Noel Boggs, Q. Murphy , etc.

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2018 4:47 pm    

Is the Johnny Davis mentioned above a pedal steel player who played a Fender 1000 and came to Colorado Springs with Jim Murphy and Pat Price (drummer). On or about 1968.

If it is I think he wound up in Denver and worked in the plumbing trade. Never saw or heard of him after the left the Springs.

Lots of great players listed above.

George

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2018 10:38 am    

Hey George, the "Johnny Davis" mentioned played pedal steel very well but electric guitar was where he really shined. Most of he steel playing was done on an old Fender 400 steel with four pedals and no knee levers. About the time I left SoCal (1985) or so I had seen a Fender 800 ten string steel with 8 floor pedals and no knee levers at Blackie Taylor's Music Store. I told Johnny about it and I think he bought it. In the old days I'd seen him playing next to guys with double tens on his single 8 string Fender and he'd put 'em to shame.

One of his old deciples (Al ?) is on this forum and could let us know of Johnny's copedants if he sees this.........JH in Va.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2018 7:11 am    

Carl Walden,Carl West?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2018 10:22 pm     steeler

Is Blackie Taylor still with us and if so is he still in business?

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 18 Aug 2018 6:23 am    

http://www.blackietaylor.com

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2018 11:16 am    

Stu, I think Carl Walden is still around. I jammed with him back in Oct. of '05 in Santa Ana at an Elks Lodge when he was playing with Sammy Masters. I haven't heard any word of his passing...JH in Va.

John Alexander

Post  Posted 20 Aug 2018 8:27 pm    

One of you California steel guitarists of that era, or one of your colleagues, came to Jackson Wyoming as part of Larry Booth's band in 1978 or 1979, and spent an afternoon visiting with me at my place. Regrettably I've forgotten your name, but I greatly enjoyed the visit and the performances.

Al Bruno was one of my biggest influences as a guitarist, although I only heard him play on two occasions, both short segments on the Cal's Corral television show, where I also first heard a pedal steel guitar be played the way it should be played - by the late great Red Rhodes.

I also remember Carl Walden from Cal's Corral - as I recall he played a number of different instruments in addition to steel.

Carl Walden

Diamond Bar,Ca USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2018 10:15 pm    

Hi..So many great musicians and friends have passed on and I miss them all. What a wonderful experience it has been to have lived through all of the fantastic music in California back then and still be here to remember it.

Carl Walden

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2018 11:28 pm    

Wow,Apologies to Carl Walden,and Nice to see that you're still kickin'
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.