The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Builder of a “Travis custom” from muskogee, Oklahoma
Alan McBride

Tahlequah, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2018 6:09 pm    

I’m new to the forum and have found a S-12 6/6 pedal steel in my fathers back storage room. The guitar has “Travis custom” muskogee okla on the front of guitar. I would like to find out who built it if possible. It was in pitiful shape as it had been stored there for at least 20 years. I have spent over 20 hours cleaning and restoring it. Any help on what it may be worth, of the builder, you can pm me if you would like, thanks.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2018 7:05 pm    

Dean Reed was the Gentlman's name. Travis Dean Reed. Sad to say he is no longer with us. His wife Lois might be but I do not know. Dean was a fine picker and built a lot of guitars, one at a time. He was a salesman, always buying and selling and make you think you got the deal of a lifetime. Would give you the shirt off his back. Good to everyone. Loved the pedal steel guitar and would spend hours with someone that wanted to learn. He wound his own pick ups and made all his parts with just basic tools. A good man. J.R. Rose

Alan McBride

Tahlequah, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2018 7:22 pm     Travis custom steel

Wow, thanks JR for the information, I remember that name now, My dad is Fred McBride from muskogee ok, he had a band years ago called the Golden Rocket boys. This steel was in a bedroom wasting away and I’ve tried to revive it. Still sounds pretty good, lots of sustain. Thanks again for the quick response, I like to know the history of things, Be Blest!

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2018 7:25 pm    

Dean Reed was quite a guy. He arranged for me to get my first Emmons p/p. He also was responsible for David Casey getting his Emmons. At that time I think David and I were the first few in our area to be playing p/p's in the Tulsa - Muskogee area. Just as JR described, a prince of a person and also quite an accomplished player also.

Alan McBride

Tahlequah, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2018 7:46 pm    

Thanks for that info John. Sounds like Mr. Reed and my dad had a lot in common. Both were salesman and musicians. I always said that dad could sell an refrigerator to an Eskimo and make him think he needed it. They probably played some music together back in the day. Dad is 81 and in an assisted living center now, but he still picks up his guitar and sings for the nurses. Again thanks for the info, sound like a great man and built what seems to be a pretty good steel. Although this steel according to the changer operation seems to be all pull. You can tell the parts for the most part are hand machined. Going to be fun. Be Blest!